Clutch Opinions

Eventually, clutch and ill likely upgrade the hydraulics to the viper spec ones.

Man I do all my own stuff so honestly couldn't send you some were. I would be more than happy to help you with your truck. I also totally understand if you don't feel comfortable letting a stranger work on your truck.

Where you located?

Man I do all my own stuff so honestly couldn't send you some were. I would be more than happy to help you with your truck. I also totally understand if you don't feel comfortable letting a stranger work on your truck.

Where you located?

Im in Stone Mtn. I try to do as much of the work on these trucks myself as well, but dropping a tranny is out of my league.

Im in Stone Mtn. I try to do as much of the work on these trucks myself as well, but dropping a tranny is out of my league.

it really isn't that difficult. If you have access to a lift it's about a 5 hour job, that's if you have a beer in one hand the whole time.

it really isn't that difficult. If you have access to a lift it's about a 5 hour job, that's if you have a beer in one hand the whole time.

Well you hinted at the crucial part, the lift.

Either way the clutch is fine for now, im sure it is the stock one, prior owner took care of this thing. I did change the fluid in it, it had transmission fluid in it before, which explained why it was loud.

I'll be doing a minor tune up this weekend, oil change, replace the IAC (cleaned it but still hangs when it rains, changing it out) and im putting some fresh copper champions if I can deal with the cold long enough.

Last year my stock mstr finally gave out....145k miles. Ordered viper mstr/slave kit from Justin and anticipated I'd be changing the clutch out since I was pulling the transmission to install the slave. Turns out my stock clutch had enough material left to leave it. Trans came out pretty easy...I was done in 3hrs.

While, my platform differs from you guys, i can give a little insight and opinion. I've been running a spec 3+(without the easy pedal option) for 3-4 years(since i did my viper spec t56 swap). I'm going to continue using the gen 2 viper car hydraulics(master and slave). I am a firm believer that OEM is more reliable and since it's a PITA to address a problem. Reliability is what i want.

On that note, i just ordered a McLeod RXT clutch. I was tired of my Spec 3+'s very hard pedal. I'm probably close to 800tq(over 700rwtq) or over that and it holds fine on slicks at the track but im done with it. It also chatters on take off if i dont give it a lot of rpm. I do fine it's off/on as well now that you guys mention it. I just thought it was due to my unique swap or crap driving.

Ill be dropping the trans this weekend on jack stands and a Harbor Freight trans jack. It's not hard, just a little timing consuming. Ill be going back with the cheap dextron 3 trans fluid from Orielly.

I also have to take the tail section off and redo the gasket since it has a very slow leak. Hopefully it's just undoing some bolts and it's off and is easy to put back on.

Last edited:
Last year my stock mstr finally gave out....145k miles. Ordered viper mstr/slave kit from Justin and anticipated I'd be changing the clutch out since I was pulling the transmission to install the slave. Turns out my stock clutch had enough material left to leave it. Trans came out pretty easy...I was done in 3hrs.

when i took mine out at 95k miles there was still 1/16" of material left before the rivets... with as much as i beat on it, i was surprised...

Ill be dropping the trans this weekend on jack stands and a Harbor Freight trans jack. It's not hard, just a little timing consuming. Ill be going back with the cheap dextron 3 trans fluid from Orielly.

I also have to take the tail section off and redo the gasket since it has a very slow leak. Hopefully it's just undoing some bolts and it's off and is easy to put back on.

The tail section does not need to be removed to replace the rear seal...just the drive shaft. As mine approached 100k I also got a small leak. Dodge seal was on back order. Cross referenced a seal from Napa and installed it....still leaked. Got the OEM installed and it also continued to leak. Pulled the drive shaft and wet sanded the yoke....over 50K miles later still not leaking.

I didnt use the right terminology. I apologize for that. It's where the tail section meets the body of the transmission. It's not the round seal for the drive shaft. I already replaced that particular seal years ago.

Has anyone used the ACT clutch kit for our trucks? I have always used ACT in the past and always had amazing results. I bought a Spec 2 but just accidently found a ACT kit and am debating buying that instead

Has anyone used the ACT clutch kit for our trucks? I have always used ACT in the past and always had amazing results. I bought a Spec 2 but just accidently found a ACT kit and am debating buying that instead

The truck isnt a honda civic .

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back