Clutch Pressure Loss

Reaction score
Ok. My 04 RC has been losing clutch pressure at very random times. Sometimes I get into it and there is no clutch pedal pressure. When this happens, I cannot get the truck into any gear. It can be very embarrassing at a stop light!:eek: Other times it seems to be there. I have no visible leaks, and the fluid is always a little low when checking. I have bled the clutch numerous times, but it only seems to fix it for a few days. I have noticed it seems to be much worse on very cold days. On warmer days, I might have to pump the clutch a little at start up, but once I have pressure, I can drive all day with no problems. The master cylinder seems to be fine. I have checked the floor around the clutch pedal and I don't feel or see any leaks. I'm thinking it could be leaking via the slave cylinder into the bell housing. My next step, Before replacing the slave cylinder, is to try one of the Phoenix Reverse Bleeders. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

Last edited:
Ok. My 04 RC has been losing clutch pressure at very random times. Sometimes I get into it and there is no clutch pedal pressure. When this happens, I cannot get the truck into any gear. It can be very embarrassing at a stop light!:eek: Other times it seems to be there. I have no visible leaks, and the fluid is always a little low when checking. I have bled the clutch numerous times, but it only seems to fix it for a few days. I have noticed it seems to be much worse on very cold days. On warmer days, I might have to pump the clutch a little at start up, but once I have pressure, I can drive all day with no problems. The master cylinder seems to be fine. I have checked the floor around the clutch pedal and I don't feel or see any leaks. I'm thinking it could be leaking via the slave cylinder into the bell housing. My next step, Before replacing the slave cylinder, is to try one of the Phoenix Reverse Bleeders. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

Disconnect line at quick disconnect under truck going to Slave. Try to depress clutch pedal. It should not budge a vs be solid as a rock. If not it's likely bad or has air in it especially is reservoir has run dry. If master checks out skave is culprit. Simply gravity bleed at slave

If the fluid level keeps dropping and you can't find any external leaks the slave cylinder is the problem. Had the same thing happen to my truck. The fluid level dropped until the master cylinder got air bound. Then the clutch would not release causing the trans not to go in gear. Bled the system with new fluid and everything was fine again. Well until I found out that the fluid level was still dropping. Every few days I had to add fluid to keep it full. Eventually it started leaking out of the bell housing but it took a long time.

As I just experience this same thing this past winter im going to tell you now. Save up and buy the upgraded clutch hydraulics. Your slave is on its way out. If you keep driving it, your going to get stranded somewhere. I was stranded at the top of my neighborhood.

I experience the same thing you are going through when it was cold. Clutch pedal goes to floor, pump it up and it would hold pressure. Look under the truck no leak. When I bleed it , it blew out chunks of white crap out, it was toast then. It wouldnt hold fluid no more and started leaking through the bell house fresh brake fluid.

Gravity bleed went great! The clutch feels better than it ever has! Great advice. I agree earl, I do believe my slave is failing. However, The truck gets winterized around November and is only drove on nice days every other time. I am hoping it will hold out until winter, so I can take my time and not feel rushed to get it fixed.

Gravity bleed went great! The clutch feels better than it ever has! Great advice. I agree earl, I do believe my slave is failing. However, The truck gets winterized around November and is only drove on nice days every other time. I am hoping it will hold out until winter, so I can take my time and not feel rushed to get it fixed.

Great to hear! Hope it lasts ya

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back