cold air intake

john b

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I install a K&N air intake will I need a programer to change fuel system? A friend put one on his Chev truck & it made it run like shit. Also will it really make much difference in power on a stock engine?

I added one without a tune. Didnt see any power gains on dyno but it sounded a hell of a lot better when you mat the pedal. I got my setup for $50 so it was worth the cosmetic mod.

If I install a K&N air intake will I need a programer to change fuel system? A friend put one on his Chev truck & it made it run like shit. Also will it really make much difference in power on a stock engine?

You technically should re-tune with any changes, but in this case you don't have to. If you are installing a K&N intake for power only, just go with a drop in K&N in the factory box.

IMO. Put a k&N drop in air filter. Unless you're going for looks.

pull negative battery cable of for a few minutes (this resets pcm and it will re-learn with the new mod)

Hey for you guys who put inthe K/N filer, have you notced any loud whistling noise in the cab from the dash area under a load, from aroun 2k RPM-4k RPM?? I have this sound and thought it was a vacume leak but diagnosed it and still getting great performance and decent fule mileage.

Hey for you guys who put inthe K/N filer, have you notced any loud whistling noise in the cab from the dash area under a load, from aroun 2k RPM-4k RPM?? I have this sound and thought it was a vacume leak but diagnosed it and still getting great performance and decent fule mileage.

K&N intake or drop in filter? The intake allows the whistling sound from air passing the partially open throttle blade to be audible. As stated this will only occur in a part throttle situation.

K&N intake or drop in filter? The intake allows the whistling sound from air passing the partially open throttle blade to be audible. As stated this will only occur in a part throttle situation.

its the intake and filter, so would you say this is the cause of my noise?

its the intake and filter, so would you say this is the cause of my noise?

Absolutely, next time you drive it play around with different throttle positions and I bet you will be able to replicate it on a regular basis. Let us know how it goes for you. :D

Absolutely, next time you drive it play around with different throttle positions and I bet you will be able to replicate it on a regular basis. Let us know how it goes for you. :D
so here it is, anytime you hit the pedal between 2k-4k the hiss noise is audible on the pass side., anytime you hit it harder than 4k you can hear it on driver side too. zero power loss no matter what throttel range you hit it in. sounds like it is just sucking air, if you let off the throttel it slowly gos away and when you hit it it comes back.

I did my first 0-full throttle slam after doing this and did about a 400 meter burn out, tires then hooked up and it was balls to the wall fast!!! not like a launch in my gt 500 but for a big ass truck super impressive!

I have the full K&N CAI and immediately noticed a much throatier sound. Then I added an throttle body and got a whistling at partial throttle. Every mod I've done makes my truck a little quicker, but at some point I just stopped noticing the gains. I did the CAI purely for looks.

I have the full K&N CAI and immediately noticed a much throatier sound. Then I added an throttle body and got a whistling at partial throttle. Every mod I've done makes my truck a little quicker, but at some point I just stopped noticing the gains. I did the CAI purely for looks.

Hey viper dad! aint heard from my twin for a minute!! it is a thraotie sound at hard throttle. but at just nomral driving its a hissing/whistle/air sound(ha haha vipers hissing i get it) but its hard to think it is a normal sound for every day driving...def not a vacume leak tho.. so idk wtf it is maybe i just punt the truck!

Hey viper dad! aint heard from my twin for a minute!! it is a thraotie sound at hard throttle. but at just nomral driving its a hissing/whistle/air sound(ha haha vipers hissing i get it) but its hard to think it is a normal sound for every day driving...def not a vacume leak tho.. so idk wtf it is maybe i just punt the truck!

Wazzzzzzzzup, Airbound! That whistling sounds like a different issue that's not your intake. I hate those sounds that can't be linked to anything. My seat squeaked for a long time before somebody finally suggested I just raise it up a bit. Problem solved! I hope you find a solution soon. But you have to call me Dragon.

Wazzzzzzzzup, Airbound! That whistling sounds like a different issue that's not your intake. I hate those sounds that can't be linked to anything. My seat squeaked for a long time before somebody finally suggested I just raise it up a bit. Problem solved! I hope you find a solution soon. But you have to call me Dragon.

k but u must call me night hawk!!! and i have the same squaky seat sound ill raise it up tom..... it squakes when drive slow and goes away when you hit the gas or turn radio up lol but it is annyoing as fukkkkk.. just push the button up huh and it will go awaay??? so what about my dash hiss/noise???

Yup, stop riding like a pimp and jack that seat up a tad. Personally, I just installed more subwoofers to drown out any noises I didn't like. Then again, now my exhaust competes with my stereo so I may be fighting a losing battle. As for your hiss, try using 91 octane or better, tightening up your serpentine belt, and, um, make sure the air pressure in your spare is at 38. Yeah, try those and get back to me.

Yup, stop riding like a pimp and jack that seat up a tad. Personally, I just installed more subwoofers to drown out any noises I didn't like. Then again, now my exhaust competes with my stereo so I may be fighting a losing battle. As for your hiss, try using 91 octane or better, tightening up your serpentine belt, and, um, make sure the air pressure in your spare is at 38. Yeah, try those and get back to me.

Ill jack up the seat, i use 93 serp belt is brand new and i think my cat back is loud enough afet having a 700 HP GT 500 with Zero exhaust for the last two years lol

but on a real note, what do yuo clean your rims with?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back