cold starts

LORD CHAVEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that temps are in the 30s my truck had trouble starting this morning. Is it the battery or somrthing else. Im waiting for first snow to store it but need some tips for this process. Thanks and wat will help with the cold starts.

It is most likely your battery. I wouldn't call the 30's cold! It's -27c with the wind-chill here today. :mad:

I use a battery tender on mine during the winter. Still on the original battery after 8 years.

I bought a diehard platinum agm battery. she starts up very fast now. alot better than the optima red top I had

I bought a diehard platinum agm battery. she starts up very fast now. alot better than the optima red top I had

Optimas are terrible nowadays. Had a few customers trucks shat theirs. One spewing acid from the lil round vents. Crap I tell ya and it was only a year old!

I use a battery tender on mine during the winter. Still on the original battery after 8 years.

It's not enough to HAVE a battery tender you have to USE IT regularly. Like every time you're not driving the truck. I found out you have to tell bikers that. I recommend the ones from Deltran and have sold hundreds over the years. The 1.25 amp model is perfect size & comes with a 10 year warranty. They are also fully automatic (will not overcharge).

Now that temps are in the 30s my truck had trouble starting this morning. Is it the battery or somrthing else. Im waiting for first snow to store it but need some tips for this process. Thanks and wat will help with the cold starts.

"first snow" :dontknow:

I live no more than 20 miles from you and we get snow twice every 10 year. LOL Snows in Dallas (Irving) and by 10am it is melted and just slush. "Storing" a 10 in Dallas because of snow is really silly, hard on batteries, tires, oil and makes Johnny a real sour puss for 4 months. :chain: Ya can store it for the winter at my house and I will promise to tender the battery for you. :D

"first snow" :dontknow:

I live no more than 20 miles from you and we get snow twice every 10 year. LOL Snows in Dallas (Irving) and by 10am it is melted and just slush. "Storing" a 10 in Dallas because of snow is really silly, hard on batteries, tires, oil and makes Johnny a real sour puss for 4 months. :chain: Ya can store it for the winter at my house and I will promise to tender the battery for you. :D

im up north right now in amarillo

Wat you mean

If you're not completely draining the fuel tank (by driving) at least once a month I would recommend using fuel stabilizer on a regular basis. Use Sta-Bil for 100% gas. Use Star-Tron for ethanol blended gas. I suspect fuel quality might be at least partially responsible for my meltd piston.

If you're not completely draining the fuel tank (by driving) at least once a month I would recommend using fuel stabilizer on a regular basis. Use Sta-Bil for 100% gas. Use Star-Tron for ethanol blended gas. I suspect fuel quality might be at least partially responsible for my meltd piston.

Oh ok i havent stored it yet. Im just having trouble starting it on these cold days so needed more help with that but thinking its the battery.

What weight engine oil are you running? Thicker than 0W40 or 5W40? That will make it crank slow among other things. On my vast fleet of small pull start engines I can feel a difference between 5W30,10W30& SAE30 Oil when starting them in the cold.

Make sure the battery terminals are in good shape. Take them off and use a wire brush or cleaning tool. Loose connections are also problematic

What weight engine oil are you running? Thicker than 0W40 or 5W40? That will make it crank slow among other things. On my vast fleet of small pull start engines I can feel a difference between 5W30,10W30& SAE30 Oil when starting them in the cold.

10w30 mobil 1 synthetic pretty its my battery ive had it 2 years and never changed it aint no tellin when previous owner did

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back