Completing Install of Low dust brake pads

VAViperPower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to see if those out there that have already replace brake pads on their trucks could provide me with info on whats needed to complete the job. I currently am waiting on receiving new front & rear low dust, aftermarket pads for my 2006 Reg Cab from zeckhausen racing.
I planning on removing the stock brake pads as soon as my new pads arrive and just wanted to check in with all my "craftsman/viper truck" brothers to find out what allen bolt sockets/sizes and other tools might be needed to get the job completed without having to make 4-5 trips to my local AutoZone store :(

If you guys out there could provide me with any info or insight as to the easiest way to get these pads replaced easily would be greatly appreciated. I would like to make my new hobby driving my SRT-10 and not cleaning the wheels on a daily basis :rock: :rock:

Thanks for any info or suggestions you can provide. Once I can figure out how to upload my pics I will be sure to post some pics of my sweet ride I picked up from Sarasota, FL earlier this year!!!! :rock:

The only insight I can give is, the caliper bolts are ON THERE! .... My impact gun wasn't beefy enough to get them off. :dontknow: :( :mad: I had to abort the mission. :eek:

I'm sure you did your homework on brake pads...Which ones did
you go with...I would presume EBC...Seems to be most popular
with SRT'S...:)

04 SRT 10 said:
I'm sure you did your homework on brake pads...Which ones did
you go with...I would presume EBC...Seems to be most popular
with SRT'S...:)
I went with the Centric Posi Quiet pads,They are damn near dustless with no squeeeeel. they have a little different pedal feel, But they stop great. Had a little smoke show bedding them in. I hear Hawk pads for our trucks is the sheite. I will probably go that way next time.

VAViperPower- I'll be doing a DIY article on pad *and* rotor replacement very soon (if we ever get out of this deep freeze). Like all my other DIY articles, it will list the tools needed as well as tips and tricks for making the process as easy as possible.
I have (6) boxes from Zeckhausen awaiting my attention. :)

Jake- I think the problem with your impact gun may be "operator error".
:D :D :D

Kool...Did my homework on pad replacement...But did not look into
brand of rotors...Will definetly keep reading your posts...When truck
comes out in the spring i will be ready...:)

I decided to go with the Centric Posi-Quiet brand this time. I had previously used EBC Green stuff pads on my 05 SRT-10 about 2 years ago and didnt see to much of a reduction in brake dust but I sure lost alot of brake stopping power when i first apply brakes compared to stock pads.

I heard alot of great reviews about the Posi Quiet pads and thought I would give them a shot on my 06 truck. I found a great deal from zeckhausen racing on the Posi Quiet pads. U can find them at www.store.zeckhausen.com if you wanna pick up a set for your truck!! I will be sure to post a review on the pads once I get them on the truck, broken-in and put some miles on them. :rock:

Hey Kevan, sounds good!! Im sure alot of us will be awaiting your DIY info on pad replacement. I love these trucks and wanna spend more time driving mine and less time scrubbing the wheels :)

Last edited:
JRSVIPR said:
I went with the Centric Posi Quiet pads,They are damn near dustless with no squeeeeel. they have a little different pedal feel, But they stop great. Had a little smoke show bedding them in. I hear Hawk pads for our trucks is the sheite. I will probably go that way next time.

I agree, the zeckhausen pads work great.Got to do the bed in for best results.Smoke is good on bed in per instructions.:D :D

looks like the bed in process will give me a reason to get up early one weekend and pull some hole shots followed by almost full stops out on my local roads when theres no traffic, yeee hawww!!!!!

VAViperPower said:
I decided to go with the Centric Posi-Quiet brand this time. I had previously used EBC Green stuff pads on my 05 SRT-10 about 2 years ago and didnt see to much of a reduction in brake dust but I sure lost alot of brake stopping power when i first apply brakes compared to stock pads.

I heard alot of great reviews about the Posi Quiet pads and thought I would give them a shot on my 06 truck. I found a great deal from zeckhausen racing on the Posi Quiet pads. U can find them at www.store.zeckhausen.com if you wanna pick up a set for your truck!! I will be sure to post a review on the pads once I get them on the truck, broken-in and put some miles on them. :rock:

Hey Kevan, sounds good!! Im sure alot of us will be awaiting your DIY info on pad replacement. I love these trucks and wanna spend more time driving mine and less time scrubbing the wheels :)

I also got mine from David Zeckhausen, Along with the Power slot rotors.I really like em. David is a great guy to deal with also.

Kevan said:

Jake- I think the problem with your impact gun may be "operator error".
:D :D :D

:D ..... maybe. ;) But, my old CH impact has been through 5 full car rebuilds (2 Rangers, 2 Fieros, and a '73 Cuda). It's had a rough life. :eek: My air-compressor's not much better either. It saw full duty as a paint gun compressor for about 2 years.

I need to buy some new tools. :p :rock:

i had the posi Quiets on my former SRT8 and they were the 1st mod I did to the truck...almost no dust, stop about as good as stock and nary a sqeek or squel for 4K miles....just make sure you follow the bedding instructions to a "T".....:rock:

do you guys remember what size Allen bolts hold the brake calipers on?? I remember my 05 had big-ass Allen bolts that were smoked on there & took alot of effort to get them removed!! Also , what did u guys use to compress the calipers twin pistons without damaging the pistons themselves??? Any info or tips & ideas are greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Mark

VAViperPower said:
do you guys remember what size Allen bolts hold the brake calipers on?? I remember my 05 had big-ass Allen bolts that were smoked on there & took alot of effort to get them removed!! Also , what did u guys use to compress the calipers twin pistons without damaging the pistons themselves??? Any info or tips & ideas are greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Mark
Here ya go:
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=55615&postcount=15

Hey everyone. Just wanted to give you all a quick update. I got the Centric Posi-Quiet pads installed from Zeckhausen Racing on my 06 Reg Cab and they work great. I just got back from bedding in the brake pads and there is zero dust on the wheels even after the bedding process and cruising around town!!!! Its amazing. The have just about the same stopping power as the factory dust pads but dont have the ennoying grab feel during initial brake application that the factory dust pads generate. Im really impressed with these pads!! I also cleaned and installed two coats of high head clear coat paint on the big ass calipers so there is plenty of eye candy at the stoplight!! I will be sure to let everyone know in the next week or two after i get more miles racked up on the new pads. Thanks to everyone and especially Kevan for providing me with valuable info to make sure I have everything before getting my truck up on jacks!! You guys rock!!! :rock:

ZECKHAUSEN PADS , BY FAR THE BEST BRAKE PADS I HAVE EVER RAN ON ANY OF MY PRIOR TRUCKS AND CARS. IF YOU WANT TO SMILE REAL BIG AND STOP ON A DIME WITH NO DUST, GET A SET.

I have a set and I got a set for Joemags from Dave Zeckhausen. Just waiting for Joemags to install mine for me. ;)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back