COMPUTER HELP PLEASE

5_0_BAIT said:
Wifey, just be careful buying a new monitor. Sometimes it can be the monitor and the card. Got a neighbor that has a computer? Just borrow the monitor to test. Just a recommendation.
Can I hook my laptop to the CPU to see if the monitor on the laptop works from the tower?

VIPR PWR said:
can you hook up the computer to your TV.....using the tv as a monitor?
Not sure on that - I barely got the rabbit ears hooked to the TV let alone a damned computer :eek: Thanks - wondering if the laptop can be used as a monitor for the desktop without blowing up the laptop?

Do you have something on the computer you need now?

If so, do you have a router?

If you do, you could access your desktop using your laptop?

But thats only if you have file sharing set up...I think?:dontknow:

Stagethree said:
Do you have something on the computer you need now?

If so, do you have a router?

If you do, you could access your desktop using your laptop?

But thats only if you have file sharing set up...I think?:dontknow:

We can get by on the lap top for a couple of days until the monitor (that I hope will fix it) gets here. The desktop has the pictures we need for ebay listings.

The laptop doesn't have enough RAM to hold the pics, but I think we can make it until the monitor comes. I am of the positive thought that the monitor will take care of it - if not, I will have to get a new video card, too.

Whichever one isn't broken will get returned I guess. If none of that works, I call the geek squad I guess. :dontknow:

I haven't had a drink yet so I can't be a jerk but.....

photobucket.com:D

and I just had another idea, and I know money is tight,
but you can get a external hard drive very cheap these days.

Less then 100 bucks, just a idea.

Last edited:
Wifey, let me know if you end up needing a new graphics card. I might be able to help you out on that one. About using your laptop as a monitor......can be done but have to have the right things and alot of computer know how. If you want to try it, PM me and I can walk you through the steps ( I am also a computer tech ).

In fact I have a new in box graphics card and a hard drive thanks to Circuit City last summer.

They sent me the wrong order and told me to keep them.:dontknow:

So if it is the card it's yours.

-----------------------
Just checked it's a geforce 7600 GS AGP.

Shopping results for geforce 7600 gs PNY Verto GeForce 7600 GS AGP Graphics adapter ... $89 to $199 - 11 stores

Still free if you need it.:top:

Last edited:
If it's not the monitor............... sometimes a flashing monitor is the video card overheating....... IS YOUR FAN RUNNING ON YOUR CARD? If so then you better go catch it! :)

If your fan isn't running it's over heating...... A trick I did in my overclocking days open the side cover and point a fan in the computer if it stops messing up you need a new video card.

If you need a new video card I have a FREE Nvidia 6600 GT it has a PCI-E interface.

bigike said:
If it's not the monitor............... sometimes a flashing monitor is the video card overheating....... IS YOUR FAN RUNNING ON YOUR CARD? If so then you better go catch it! :)

If your fan isn't running it's over heating...... A trick I did in my overclocking days open the side cover and point a fan in the computer if it stops messing up you need a new video card.

If you need a new video card I have a FREE Nvidia 6600 GT it has a PCI-E interface.

If it's the card your covered then, PCI or AGP!:congrats:

Thank you everyone! How very helpful you've all been :rock: I really wanted to learn more about computers when i was going to college, but I took all the classes I could and they were mostly how to run the software programs.

I didn't have time to get into the peripherals, drivers, connections and configuring. I know about enough to be dangerous. It is something I love and want to learn, but right now, I just can't afford to "try" something and have it mess something else up - gotta play it safe ya know.

My big issue right this moment is I have the laptop up and running, but it the wireless signal is not secured at all. I usually only use it for non-internet things.

Jerry is very computer illiterate and won't even chance hooking the wireless router into the d-link router so I can follow the software instructions to secure the thing. so right now, it is just running wide open.

I'm hoping Scott will call me and help me hook it up to the dsl modem I already have.

Last edited:
I think he's scared of me :dontknow: :D :dontknow:

OK

better than trying to hook your computer into your laptop.

Hook you monitor into you laptop. There should be a VGA port on the side or back then go to control panel click dual screen and see if she eats.

bigike said:
OK

better than trying to hook your computer into your laptop.

Hook you monitor into you laptop. There should be a VGA port on the side or back then go to control panel click dual screen and see if she eats.
The monitor is what isn't working remember :p :p :p

Thank you Scott for calling me :rock: :D :D I take back the part where I said you were skeered :p :p :p

Wifey said:
Thank you Scott for calling me :rock: :D :D I take back the part where I said you were skeered :p :p :p

Hope you got things worked out Denise... I think you have a monitor issue...

I'd call you but Jerry's chainsaw would be in the background.... Super scary....

helms...

jelms said:
Hope you got things worked out Denise... I think you have a monitor issue...

I'd call you but Jerry's chainsaw would be in the background.... Super scary....

helms...
No way, you can call anytime :rock: Jerry is talking to Scott right now :D

Wifey said:
No way, you can call anytime :rock: Jerry is talking to Scott right now :D

And lighting up a nice cigar and eating a donut:D

Hope you got your issue worked out... Computers are tricky but they only do what we ask them to do....

helms....

jelms said:
And lighting up a nice cigar and eating a donut:D

Hope you got your issue worked out... Computers are tricky but they only do what we ask them to do....

helms....
I think it is the monitor or a trojan horse virus. I can't remember the name of it and it's in the norton virus log (which I can't get to right now). The monitor is 4 years old though and runs 24/7 so I'm betting on that.

Wifey said:
We can get by on the lap top for a couple of days until the monitor (that I hope will fix it) gets here. The desktop has the pictures we need for ebay listings.

The laptop doesn't have enough RAM to hold the pics, but I think we can make it until the monitor comes. I am of the positive thought that the monitor will take care of it - if not, I will have to get a new video card, too.

Whichever one isn't broken will get returned I guess. If none of that works, I call the geek squad I guess. :dontknow:

Your laptop should be just fine to hold tons of eBay pictures. RAM really doesn't have anything to do with how many photos will fit on your laptop. That would be determined by your hard drive size. eBay pictures are usually scaled down images and don't use much space. You can even purchase (if you don't have one) a USB memory stick and transfer them to your laptop or even store them on the stick.

Also, I don't think I'd worry at all about using a "non-secure" wireless connection. Is is very unlikely that anyone will be able to do anything other than piggy-back on your internet connection for their own use. They shouldn't be able to do anything else unless you have some very skilled hacker living within 300 feet and just waiting by his PC for a chance to intrude on your wireless communication.

Having fun yet?! ;)

Good luck.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back