Continued from 2007 ... GO DOW GO!!

I'm rooted like the methusela tree hahah! I did just go visit my mom in another state though got back today it was fun

I'm rooted like the methusela tree hahah! I did just go visit my mom in another state though got back today it was fun
I’m glad you root prune one of those roots from the tree and took that trip to visit your mom ! Now get that Christmas fund going and make more visits to your loved ones . :)

So i see that if the stocks go up then that's an increase of the account plus the dividend but if not then a decrease of account but still the dividend - that's good!

Tbills are still yielding good

So i see that if the stocks go up then that's an increase of the account plus the dividend but if not then a decrease of account but still the dividend - that's good!

Tbills are still yielding good
Stock goes down divs keep coming in … that also opens a buy or add opportunity for a stock that’s down , lowers your cost basis . The thing is selling a stock that’s down/ in the red loses cash .. dividends over time will make up the red . If it’s a solid company in the red or tax lots red it isn’t that important IMO as the divs keep coming and they are long term holdings anyway ..
big benefit to me on top is when a stock price goes back up and the highest buy lots turn green they become a sell opportunity to sell those , lowering your coast basis again while you accumulated while the stock was in the red . Take profits , collect divs while owning more of the stock at a lower cost basis.. raising the market value of the stock .
That’s where the sell SPECIFIC LOTS setting comes into play the most for me !
Doing it the way I do may take a little less profit in the short term but gives you more in the long term when it works out as it has for me almost all the time .
Same as using the DRIP or not using the DRIP . Pretty much most of the time I end up reinvesting back into the stock at a better price than the DRIP does . I also have the option to decide to take the cash div. From 1 stock and use it to add into another stock I think will benefit better at the time .
I do whatever I can to maximize every penny I can with simple things like above stated .

Do you end up selling and buying pretty often or can they take care of themselves at all so to say?

If it a daily thing or if it a preference thing? Not trying to be a pain but learning. My tbill just sits there until it matures lol not sure how much buying/selling i could handle :eek:

I'll just have to try something to get the hang of it.

Do you end up selling and buying pretty often or can they take care of themselves at all so to say?
I do sell if I hadn’t bought enough of a dividend stock and the price ai feel went up to much to add more .. but I don’t just dump . I’ll sell a little at a time to either take cash for something or buy another companies stock I think would work better or higher div payout . Just depends on what my thinking is at the moment and can benefit the portfolio .

If it a daily thing or if it a preference thing? Not trying to be a pain but learning. My tbill just sits there until it matures lol not sure how much buying/selling i could handle :eek:
As long as money is being made and how much ! safe investments are a good thing but usually with less risk means less money . It’s not a bad idea as a low risk set income type part of a portfolio is a good thing and a preference.

I'll just have to try something to get the hang of it.
That I agree with ,,, stick the big toe in the pool and see if it’s ok to jump in ! Hahaha .
Start easy and small .. do they DD , look into things that people talk about and look at the stock charts and track record over several periods of time .. like 3 month , 6 month 1 year to all time chart patterns .. I tend to look at the all time and try to get a somewhat average the stock has done .. I look to see what the price half all time avg. is .. which helps me make a decision on a reasonable price range it could be up or down . But I also look at the shorter time periods to help tighten my choice and decision.. Track record is very important in my choices and decisions to buy or not to buy or sell . There are many other factors in my decision making though .. ER , financials , news etc .
A good time frame at the moment is from the pandemic to the last election and to date on charts .. It amazes me how the pandemic recovery was going great and at the point Biden got into office the market went to crap and still hasn’t come back to pre Biden .. don’t think the DOW , S&P and nasdaq indexes mean much at all to a persons portfolio, it doesn’t .
Just looking and making a quick estimate on the time frame above .. I rough estimate I should have in the last 3 years that my portfolio should be around 75 to 100k higher on the easy without that wanker ever being President and it hasn’t improved .. the mess he’s made makes me wonder if it will be fixable in the short run by anyone !

Sounds like you've done well in educating yourself. I lknow it's not a science but i think all you state makes good common sense :cool:

Here is what my crypto account has robinhood .
Very small , but I have always never trusted crypto and ai hate the robinhood platform so it used only for crypto and a couple stocks with very few shares .

The one screen shot is the price of the crypto I have now !
The other shot is the gains I have now and the amount of each crypto I own on each .. SMALL SMALL SMALL to say the least . I haven’t owned them for even a year ! My gains were higher and crypto dropped and appear to be moving up again now . I’m holding as a test since the Halfing happened to see if it does what the claims state … once I cash out , I’m done with Robinhood account . Imdo have a Coinbase crypto account also and it appears to be better and I’m making rewards ( interest on crypto haha ! ) 5.20% on USDC stable coin and some on Etherium coin .
My crypto cost is less than 3k !

Attachments

• IMG_0711.jpeg
    IMG_0711.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0712.jpeg
    IMG_0712.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 1
I can also see why some jumped out of skyscraper windows when the market crashed way back when!!

The crypto account looks great!!!

Sounds like you've done well in educating yourself. I lknow it's not a science but i think all you state makes good common sense :cool:
It takes time to figure out many things .. It’s what I had to do on my own .. the things I do ,, Most people have zero idea of things .. Even my younger brother , long time investor didn’t even realize what tax lots were or wash sales .. he had plenty of them before ai had to explain and show him . He thought I was full of it hahaha , now he believes. He also had no idea about EOY selling off some red crap for a tax loss write-off … that mainly a thing that the bigs use to offset the tax responsibility..

I can also see why some jumped out of skyscraper windows when the market crashed way back when!!
Because they got greedy and played games and lost big time

Here is a word of advice and caution ….
DON’T use a margin account or be a SHORT unless you really understand the consequences..You can literally loose your shirt , underwire , shoes and everything else .

I've learned about wash sales and the fifos lifos specific lots and the harvesting. I figured I'd lean some of that ahead if sticking my toe in. My biggest issue is i feel i need to understand it all before doing anything and I'm thinking pairing the textbook knowledge with the actual hands on is where the rubber meets the road. :eek:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back