Core Shifter

You may not right now, but the one time you miss the down shift you will wish you went with the Gen 1 or 2, I have the Gen 1 and will be upgrading to the Gen 2 before spring for the adjustability. I recommend Gen 1 or Gen 2 all day. You won't be disappointed.:burnout:

I have no doubt, as I mentioned before, replacing the shifter mechanism would be ideal but $100 this wasn't bad and took 15 mins to change. by design I'm sure I could always sell my hurst stick being those two bolts will bolt with any other hurst shifter and a lot of other shifters out there. it feels a lot more solid than before because it also eliminates the rubber piece that goes in between the shifter and stick.

How short is it? I've been wanting to get one too but don't know if it will too short for comfortable daily driving.

I'm not a super tall guy... with where I have the seat, pedals, and steering wheel set.. the knob feels just right with the center arm rest up. with it down to me, it would be a bit of a reach and something to get used to. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet because of the weather just yet. it does make the T56 feel more notchy which they feel notchy to me anyhow.. the past two vehicles that Ive owned had the same trans and they felt that way even with stock shifters.

Well, I took your word for it and bought the last one. Let's see how this works out for me. I'm not in love with the stock shifter height anyhow, anything would be an improvement at this point. ;)

I bought one from them for my challenger and it wasn't as good as a shifter swap but shifters for those challengers are super expensive but for the $100 I spent on it, it did shorten the throw and it gives ya the hurst ball handle. I had a hurst shifter in my 08 GT nearly all its life while I owned it and just preferred the hurst ball knob. you're getting a shorter throw just from a length difference essentially and it feels more solid due to the rubber being eliminated. with the engine running and clutch mashed in, it felt pretty good checking the gears out. it's no substitute for actually driving it on the road. we are getting a spell of freezing rain and it sucks lol..

In all honesty I have a B&M and love it! Here's the deal though, I've driven many low mileage 10s with stock Hurst and had no issue speed shifting 2-3 shift at all! It's 90% operator error and 50% clutch system condition. Old fluid with moisture and clutch dust in it will not work as well as new fluid with no air in lines. EVERY T56 has the 2-3 shift the same way and while a shifter may help due to reduces throw, it doesn't make the shift pattern any different. You have to have experience! That's the best mod you can earn:D
there are a few of us here who would agree with this... those few are the experienced ones;)
i ran a stock hurst for 95k miles and rarely missed a shift...
don't talk shit about faulty components if you don't practice...
while i'll admit, i found the b&m and both jtsvp shifters "better" than the hurst, none of them cured missing a gear...
having owned and driven several t56 cars and trucks, this is absolutely true...

Taken right from the ad :"Knob height is 2.5" lower than stock = 13% throw reduction!"
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a short throw shifter just reduce the angle that the shifter shaft travels through during its stroke between gears? Therefore shortening the shaft has nothing to do with shortening the shift except for driver comfort and esthetic appeal?

I know all this doesn't apply to me, as I have an 05 qc, but that ad seems kind of deceiving to some people who don't really know any better? Not to say the OP doesn't know any better but just the general population of people moddig their vehicles...

I knew that going into it because of used core shifters before. basically it's just a shorter handle with a hurst knob which is what I wanted. kinda like guys putting rims on the back of their car or truck with short tires. gives the same effect as lower axle gears lol I've seen that happen many times at the track..

Well I took a shot and picked one up.
It's nice to see people trying new things.

Taken right from the ad :"Knob height is 2.5" lower than stock = 13% throw reduction!"
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a short throw shifter just reduce the angle that the shifter shaft travels through during its stroke between gears? Therefore shortening the shaft has nothing to do with shortening the shift except for driver comfort and esthetic appeal?

I know all this doesn't apply to me, as I have an 05 qc, but that ad seems kind of deceiving to some people who don't really know any better? Not to say the OP doesn't know any better but just the general population of people moddig their vehicles...
No. It doesn't matter how long or short the shifter arm is - a stock shifter will always move along the same angles. However, shortening the arm does shorten the throw.

there are a few of us here who would agree with this... those few are the experienced ones;)
i ran a stock hurst for 95k miles and rarely missed a shift...
don't talk shit about faulty components if you don't practice...
while i'll admit, i found the b&m and both jtsvp shifters "better" than the hurst, none of them cured missing a gear...
having owned and driven several t56 cars and trucks, this is absolutely true...
I agree with you and Scott that the stock shifter isn't to blame for missed shifts. I removed the rubber insulator between the handles and found the factory shifter to be more than adequate. Having said that, the Gen II JTSVP shifter was 100,000,000,000 times better... and that's a lot of times. :D

it feels a lot more solid than before because it also eliminates the rubber piece that goes in between the shifter and stick.
You can move the insulator to the outside of the shaft handle and do the same thing.

Last edited:
I have no doubt, as I mentioned before, replacing the shifter mechanism would be ideal but $100 this wasn't bad and took 15 mins to change. by design I'm sure I could always sell my hurst stick being those two bolts will bolt with any other hurst shifter and a lot of other shifters out there. it feels a lot more solid than before because it also eliminates the rubber piece that goes in between the shifter and stick.

If you're interested in selling the Hurst handle I might be a buyer. Making a large smoker and looking for a shifter handle to bolt to the lid as my ift handle.

If you're interested in selling the Hurst handle I might be a buyer. Making a large smoker and looking for a shifter handle to bolt to the lid as my ift handle.

maybe so, I haven't had a chance to drive it yet due to the weather to see how I will like the new one. it'll probably take a little while to have a final say if it's a keeper. if it is I'll sell ya my stock one..

maybe so, I haven't had a chance to drive it yet due to the weather to see how I will like the new one. it'll probably take a little while to have a final say if it's a keeper. if it is I'll sell ya my stock one..

OK. I wont be working on the smoker for a while anyways due to getting some other items ready to sell for people to let their tax money burn a hole in their pocket with. :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back