Core Shifter

flamesarewicked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive used them before in the past and its hard to beat for the price. I seen on ebay that there is one for our trucks. Anyone use one before? I really want a gunslinger pistol grip but the past three cars ive own had the hurst white handle and it fits my hand just right. Those who arent familiar with the core shifter. Its a shorter hurst stick handle with a black or white ball handle and they claim a 13% reduction in throw.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=361215766053&alt=web

Get a Gen 2 shifter from Tony......you won't miss 2-3 upshift again.

Well ive only owned it a week and havent had a chance to drive it much..being it already has a hurst mechanism from the factory and with a shorter stick...it may be a good thrifty mod to choose. The hurst ball was always a favorite of mine for function. The gunslinger is much more appealing visually but quite a bit more expensive in comparison.

Spend your money on a quality shifter and buy the knob that you like. The Hurst shifter is not very good.

Last edited:
No comparison to the JTSVP Gen2, I had the Gen1 that I bought used and it was a night and day difference to the OE Hurst, one of the best mods I did.........Do it right the 1st time.....

Keep an eye on the classifieds, I got mine for $185(Gen1)

we actually have a couple, we can keep them listed on the site, we usually do a run of 30-40 and there gone as soon as we assemble them.
but the part you are looking at is just the handle, it wouldn't provide any solutions for your shifting problem sir

In all honesty I have a B&M and love it! Here's the deal though, I've driven many low mileage 10s with stock Hurst and had no issue speed shifting 2-3 shift at all! It's 90% operator error and 50% clutch system condition. Old fluid with moisture and clutch dust in it will not work as well as new fluid with no air in lines. EVERY T56 has the 2-3 shift the same way and while a shifter may help due to reduces throw, it doesn't make the shift pattern any different. You have to have experience! That's the best mod you can earn:D

Last edited:
The two vehicles i had before this truck (Challenger 6spd, GTO 6spd) didnt have the smoothest transition from 2-3. Both had stock shifters of which the dodge had a core shifter upgrade. It was no replacement for an actual shifter swap but for the little bit i paid, it reduced the throw and felt better over all even in normal city driving. I dont plan to race the truck aside of a yearly gathering of some buddies that go to the strip for day of fun once or twice a year. Just thought for 100 bones this would be the same deal as with the Challenger.

The two vehicles i had before this truck (Challenger 6spd, GTO 6spd) didnt have the smoothest transition from 2-3. Both had stock shifters of which the dodge had a core shifter upgrade. It was no replacement for an actual shifter swap but for the little bit i paid, it reduced the throw and felt better over all even in normal city driving. I dont plan to race the truck aside of a yearly gathering of some buddies that go to the strip for day of fun once or twice a year. Just thought for 100 bones this would be the same deal as with the Challenger.

Exactly, every T56 from the Vette, 03/04 Cobra, Camaro/Trans Am, Chevy SSR, GTO, Viper, Viper Truck, Aston Martin DB9, and others I'm sure I've missed use the T56 but each is unique in it's own way. From gearing to bolt pattern of bellhousing, input shaft size to output shaft size they are so different. One thing remains is the gear pattern! And each one the 2-3 shift causes issues with inexperienced. Too many try to manhandle the stick!! :D Forcibly shifting into each gear as their adrenaline rushes during a race or sprites romp down the road. The shift should be as smooth and precise and softly as normal driving, just speed it up. I like to NOT grip the shifter with a death grip rather fingertips to pull 1-2 shift, palm of hand forward for the 2-3, fingertips again for the 3-4, and if needed palm forward for a 4-5 shift.
Never abusing the shifter or knob ;)

I had a hurst in my 08 GT i used to have and it worked really well in it but it had a tr-3650 trans. i boit new in 2008 and many mods later it was just as peppy as ever. The 02 GT i owned before that car was stock shen i bought it and added a supercharger, headers, meth injection and many other various mods later, i had no issues shifting it..again it had a tr-3650. The t-56 is just a different animal. I know buying an actual shifter is ideal for the optimal results. Just wondered if anyone tried one of these before. I dont plan on going down the same road again with dumping $$$$ into my daily driver. Im gonna do a few simple mods here and there just to make the overal driving experience better. To make one look forward to driving to a long 12hr shift on nights. Guess as ive gotten older and lm not as involved in the track days as i used to.

Well I took a shot and picked one up. With the center folded up, its just right and gives more of a sports car shifter feel. We are having some pretty nasty weather out now so i havent had a chance to row through the gears on the road yet. Ill let yall know how it feels taking down the road once the weather gets a little less nasty. Not bad for $100 shipped and it came in the mail pretty quick ...thats first gear position i believe

16007442903_993a8c9ab0_c.jpg

Last edited:
thats a new stick on the stock base???

What I am seeing is they shorten the stick and take bend out of it? Just to make sure there isn't anything else that is changed.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back