Couple engine bay detailing questions...

ViperCLKGTR

Reaction score
Gotta day off tomorrow and since my pump exploded last week I was gonna have a field day with detailing the engine bay. Its been on my list of "To-Do's" but with the p/s leak I had there was no reason to clean it. Its not bad its still somewhat clean but I have some questions.

1.) Is it safe to take off my hood mat? I'm definitely taking the insulation off on the back by the wipers. The hood one worries me because I don't want my paint to fade.
2.) Best way to get rid of power steering fluid? Has anyone used Gunk I think is what its called? The guy I was talking too said its the greatest?
3.) Is it ok to spray in the engine bay? Of course staying away from the ovious places?

Any other little tips or tricks?

1-yes its o.k.to take off the insulation,2-I use simple green,3-its o.k.as you said stay away from electronics

Would it be ok to power wash the underside of the engine. The 5 or 6 bottles of P/S fluid I put through it that leaked out is just caked on.

Wrap the PCM and a few other electronics and mist the entire engine and surroundings with simple green, let sit a few minutes and hose off with a low pressure rinse. Did this when I first got my 10 and worked great. Post pics when done.........

Power washing is never a good idea when it comes to engine bays, but sometimes the only thing left to do.
Maybe someone else can comment, but i normally only wash the engine with pressure when it is still running and try to stay away from electronics as much as possible.
Why letting the engine running ? ....because you immediately recognize when the waterpressure effects the idle of the engine and you can move the nozzle in another direction, besides that it dries faster.

All the best and good luck.

I wouldn't be up close to anything "important" it would be just for strictly the bottom side, like the oil pan and the frame. I was gonna put the truck on ramps and hit it with low pressure.

Simple green power washer and leaf blower. In that order lol. Works great. Make sure your engine is completely cold for all the obvious reasons then some.

I have pressure washed EVERY engine I've ever had and NOT OUNCE have I had an issue, I've never taped anything up or covered anything ever, I wash the engine bay first then the rest of the vehicle, they have always fired right up with no issues.

I have pressure washed EVERY engine I've ever had and NOT OUNCE have I had an issue, I've never taped anything up or covered anything ever, I wash the engine bay first then the rest of the vehicle, they have always fired right up with no issues.

Ditto, so have I, all types of vehicles...Just use common sense. Don't drench the electronics too badly. You'll be fine.

I agree, pressure wash the snot out of it. Once it's clean, keep it leak free and every time you wash the truck, pop the hood and clean all the surfaces using Meguiars "show time" and a micro fiber towel. It's works great! It helps to have all powder coated surfaces too.

Here's what he hood looks like with no insulation, much better IMO

IMG_7927.jpg

I used to detail cars and have always pressured wash the engine bays, I use simple green. Gunk works great but leaves a strong odor for days. I only use it when it simple green wont clean it out

Purple power, pressure washer, leaf blower, gunk engine detailer, whip it down just dont spray it on unless you dont care about over spray. Enjoy

My hood insulation is drooping near the windshield end of the hood. All of the pins seem to be in place, is there something I could/should do? For example, am I at risk of it coming in contact with the engine if it fails. Or just follow YellowFever's example?

My hood insulation is drooping near the windshield end of the hood. All of the pins seem to be in place, is there something I could/should do? For example, am I at risk of it coming in contact with the engine if it fails. Or just follow YellowFever's example?

I added some more of those plastic push tab things in mine to hold up the liner where it was sagging, just drilled a few holes and pushed them in.

I want to take the liner out and I had it out in my old truck since I had an aftermarket hood with zero problems but I have seen a couple threads here where guys said they're paint started cracking on the hood because of no insulation so I'm hesitant.

Those of you that have removed it, how many miles have you had it out?

I want to take the liner out and I had it out in my old truck since I had an aftermarket hood with zero problems but I have seen a couple threads here where guys said they're paint started cracking on the hood because of no insulation so I'm hesitant.

Exactly the same crossroads I'm at.

Ended up putting Christmas lights up instead of cleaning the bay but Saturday, it's going down haha. It's not that mines filthy but it needs a good cleaning. Plus the amount of power steering fluid on the bottom is insane

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back