couple exhaust issues...maybe some advice would help

sparksftball69

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed B&B headers on friday and ran open headers to the shop...wish it was legal to run it like that all the time...but anyway. The steering shaft bolt is rubbing the second tube. Has anyone had this issue and what did they do. Also....while installing went with the specs per B&B for 35ftpnds and one of the bolts snapped. Got it out fine but just snugged everything down to about 25 in fear of doing it again and not being able to get the stud out. Second issue. I have headers to cutouts to JMB pipes back to magnaflow cat back. The way we did it is cut about 9 inches out of the JMB catback from where the headers line up at the flange and welded a flange on each side of the cutout (so when i go for inspection i can bolt in some fake cats) as well as a set of flanges close to the muffler so that the mids are completly removable. Everything is in there good but im getting a few leaks at the flanges where the gaskets are. any suggestions get these leaks out???? is there a gasket sealer or silicone that will stand up to the heat and people have used so that it seals really well? Also my people running B&B did your exhaust get a little quiter, louder, deeper with the install of the B&B's. My exhaust has a lot less drone running the B&B headers to the factory exhaust manifolds. Seems a little quieter but a little deeper!

cant help you buddy but just wanted to say thats badass havin ur cutouts right after the headers. thinkin of doin somethin similar. Does it cause any compression issues in the engine havin it open so close.

I ran it with straight open headers to the shop and it ran better than ever. Loud as shit and every bird in the state of texas would take flight when i started it up. But i didnt notice any issues. Right now i'm running 3" all the way through. Not sure what is inside of the magnaflow muffles but everything else is 3". They're mechanical cutouts right now but ill be adding the electric butterflies when i come back from afghan. I really did it so that i can bolt in a set of cats for inspections later on and the cutouts for the strip.

did ya use MLS gaskets at the heads???

as far as leaks on the pipes, i try & use the stainless steel band clamps every where there is room. run a bead of high temp silicon around the joint & install the clamps. no leaks

there are no clams all flanges like at the bottom of the headers. What type of high heat silicone?

forget the name. but it will say high-temp on it & usually orange in color.

any aoto parts store should have it

i also run copper gaskets at the header/mid-pipe flange. been doin real good. got them from SCE gasket company

copper????how thick are they and are they reusable? or one time use?

yeah the orange silicone should work down on the mid-pipes, whens the next time your going to the track?

two weeks. I just got all the exhaust cut and welded so that i could remove the mids for the tranny removal. When i had my mids welded before i told them i wanted clamps from the mids to the muffler but they welded it and didnt want to remove all that pipe. So did some cutting and welding now there is some cutouts on there and everything will remove. This sat the tranny comes out and they new stall goes in.. i should be there the weekend after. I might try and come this friday to see how its all running with the mods i've just done but my wife leaves for school on friday and I prob wont see her until after I come back from Afghan in more than a year. So well see...

my question still is what do i do about the rubbing steering shaft bolt. It rubs on the threads side and the hex side. Do I cut the bolt down a bit and grind some meat off the top of the bolt????

my question still is what do i do about the rubbing steering shaft bolt. It rubs on the threads side and the hex side. Do I cut the bolt down a bit and grind some meat off the top of the bolt????

i would put a dent in the header tube, cant belive anything would rub anywhere for what those headers cost, might call B&B and rais a little hell

i dont know I think id rather f up a 5 dollar bolt then a 2200 dollar set of headers you know. I had some issues getting them in though. prob cuz someone had already used them but i got them in with some brute force at times but they're in.

Go ahead and use an extension from a socket set and a hammer and pop a lil dent in that area so it doesn't rub. It has been done for years on many cars. Look at it like this, do you want your steering bolt shearing and losing control of your 10???;):dontknow:

Go ahead and use an extension from a socket set and a hammer and pop a lil dent in that area so it doesn't rub. It has been done for years on many cars. Look at it like this, do you want your steering bolt shearing and losing control of your 10???;):dontknow:

thats what i've always done on any other car i had clearance issues with, but i still think for the money they shouldn't have any clearance issues

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back