Couple questions

shikityshack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st question..

I just installed an AEM wide band gauge...

The sensor location was put directly (about 1"-1 1/2") after the front driver 02 sensor at an upward angle..

I have shorty headers so the 02s are in the factory location..

I'm also running catless..

The gauge readings seem to bounce ALL OVER the place during regular driving..

Is this normal?
I can't really watch the gauge at WOT sense I need to watch the road. I haven't relly been able to drive the truck since reassembly, but I will try again later..

2nd question..

Long story short.. During an upper engine "build" (head removal, etc, blah blah blah..)with the engine still in the truck I had to pull the oil pan down.

(Thanks again SRTSLOW for the PMs)

To do so meant removing the cross member beneath it.. it was welded in three places..

I would prefer not to for future removal ease.. but should I tack weld it back anyway..
Its no problem to do since I own a welder I just would rather not if it not "needed".. Advice, experiance??

I also had to lift the engine about 7 inches..
What are the motor mount bolts supposed to be TQ'd to? I TQ'd them to
100ftlbs guessing by how they felt when loosening, but I want them to factory spec..

No need to weld up those spots. The 4 bolts will do just fine. If you have never used a a/f gauge be for what your seeing is normal and only gets steady during wot. As for those motor mount bolts I say just good and tight. Just my 2 cents

Thats basicly along the lines of how I was thinking.. Sometimes its just nice to hear it from someone else to confirm, you know..

I expect the numbers to bounce around some.. After some more driving it seems the A/F is bouncing a little less.. It was almost TOO sparatic at first imo.. To the point it was almost pointless.

Yessir the wideband needs good exhaust flow before reading correctly. So at idle and low cruising it won't be accurate. Nor on decel will it be. Part throttle cruise you should see it bounce from 14.5-15.1 basically averaging 14.7:1.
WOT I like to see 12.5-12.8:1 to be safe on an NA engine. :burnout:

What is the wideband reading during WOT?

upper mid 12s to 13 at a glance. Little lean I know..

Need a bit more seat time to confirm.. I know a new tune is needed though..

Only place I've been able to step into it is an on ramp one time, and I'm doing a 100+ by the time I hit the highway..
I need a better place to do this and get it confirmed..

Are sustained mid 11s ideal??

Normal, to be bouncing all over the place.

At idle should be relatively steady. At WOT should be relatively steady.

Yessir the wideband needs good exhaust flow before reading correctly. So at idle and low cruising it won't be accurate. Nor on decel will it be. Part throttle cruise you should see it bounce from 14.5-15.1 basically averaging 14.7:1.
WOT I like to see 12.5-12.8:1 to be safe on an NA engine. :burnout:

I didn't see your post.. Weird..

So my upper 12s is good then.. I was thinking that was too lean and I should be fatter down in the low 12-11 range.. I still need more seat time to truly verify though..

I just finished getting the engine back together friday
1/24 in the afternoon.. I haven't had much time to drive it.. And it was misting out this morning so any WOT would have been impossible..

Last edited:
Normal, to be bouncing all over the place.

At idle should be relatively steady. At WOT should be relatively steady.

Yeah, at idle its now relatively calm.. Stays in the mid 14s to mid 15s and just bounces in that range..

WOT is where I'm having a tough time getting verified.. Public highways and all...

I have been schooled on a few things now and have it figured out and fixed..

When putting my truck in 4th gear and running it up to about 5500 rpm i was only getting down to about 13.7 a/f.. Too lean I know..

The tune was adjusted, its now hitting 12.6-12.8 wot..

So on target and running great!!

Thanks guys for the input!

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back