Crazy people that live up north

Midnight Runner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wifes family live in North Dakota. I was told that in the winter they plug there block heater in.:confused: Do you guys have to do the same thing to your 10's?:dontknow:

my neighbor has to plug his diesel in... hell it was damn near 30 last night...

hell, his truck won't pull out of his driveway (steep) if it's not warm enough...

my buddy lives in alaska, and his wife's expedition and his jeep both have block heaters...

had a block heater and a warmer for the battery when livin in MN......on nights 20 below or colder I would even bring the battery in as the brutal cold will cause many a car not to start....knew 2 guys who would cruise the hotel parking lots on extreme cold mornings giving jumps to people at 25-40 bucks a pop... The reason a weak battery gets killed in the cold is easy to explain. If you read the tag on a battery there are CA's and CCA's. CA means cranking amps. CCA means cold cranking amps. A battery looses 50% of its CA below 32 degrees F. So take a battery that has a CA rating of 600. Then the CCA is around 300. Now if that battery is weak and only putting out 400 CA then that means when temps are bellow 32 degrees that battery will only have 200 CA. That is not enough amperage to turn over your average car or truck.

Even better is when the tires are so cold there is a flat spot where they sit on the pavement and it feels like you have a flat tire until they warm up from running a bit...many a time I have stopped to look at the tires LOL

Last edited:
it never hurts to plug them in around freezing, but it's not necessary... any time it's in the teens, or below it's best...

my buddy in AK texted me the other day last winter... said it finally warmed up to a "balmy -10".... had been steady -40 for a while:D

it never hurts to plug them in around freezing, but it's not necessary... any time it's in the teens, or below it's best...

my buddy in AK texted me the other day last winter... said it finally warmed up to a "balmy -10".... had been steady -40 for a while:D

That's just to damn cold.:D

Ya the only thing that sucks is when you cant plug it in. I drove my srt last winter for a month when my tow truck broke down. Yes the wonderfull life in ND at least i live in the bannana belt.

-35C is an amazing thing to experience! If you didn't plug in your truck, when you grab the block heater cord it will feel like a steel rod! won't bend! if you try to bend it , it will break!

my buddy also sent me a vid of him spitting water out of his mouth that turned to snow, or frozen water before it hit the ground... that was fkin awesome...

my buddy also sent me a vid of him spitting water out of his mouth that turned to snow, or frozen water before it hit the ground... that was fkin awesome...

hahahaha we used to throw boiling water in the cold air and it would freeze before hitting the ground........you could hear it crackle as it froze....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back