cummins or hemi..?

Randall488

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so in celebration of my new job and christmas, im thinkin about ordering a new ram 2500, i know what i want, i just cant decide whether i want a hemi or a Cummins... :dontknow: fuel in the hemi is cheaper.. but im an apprentice to a Cummins tech...

nice hemi rumble... or fuel economy and longevity of Cummins... another reason i ask is cause the Cummins is a 8k option...

so in celebration of my new job and christmas, im thinkin about ordering a new ram 2500, i know what i want, i just cant decide whether i want a hemi or a Cummins... :dontknow: fuel in the hemi is cheaper.. but im an apprentice to a Cummins tech...

nice hemi rumble... or fuel economy and longevity of Cummins... another reason i ask is cause the Cummins is a 8k option...

Cummins, not even a question about it

im leanin towards it, i test drove a new 6.7 with the auto and wasnt really impressed with it, its supposed to have 800 ftlbs of torque but it felt like my 95 10 couldve ate the thing..

im leanin towards it, i test drove a new 6.7 with the auto and wasnt really impressed with it, its supposed to have 800 ftlbs of torque but it felt like my 95 10 couldve ate the thing..

It'll eat your 95 for breakfast and shit it out, gotta get any diesel on boost before they have any power, just flooring it from a stop they all feel slow. My duramax feels slow too but doing a boosted 4wd launch it'll run low 15's in the 1/4. An aftermarket tune will also wake it up a lot

The new Hemi Rams are claiming 25mpg. The V6 is suppose to get 28 with the 8-Speed. I would go Hemi but that's just me.

Could also pick up a nice used Viper for that much ;)

The new Hemi Rams are claiming 25mpg. The V6 is suppose to get 28 with the 8-Speed. I would go Hemi but that's just me.

Could also pick up a nice used Viper for that much ;)

The v6 is rated at 25 highway, non of the engines in the ram are rated for 28

Good point lol but I'm lookin HD, I owned a half ton and never will again. I'm lookin at the new 2500 outdoorsman in a regular cab 8' bed

gotta get any diesel on boost before they have any power, just flooring it from a stop they all feel slow. My duramax feels slow too but doing a boosted 4wd launch it'll run low 15's in the 1/4. An aftermarket tune will also wake it up a lot

Good point. I didn't wanna lay into it too much with the dealet rep in thepassenger seat.

Last edited:
The v6 is rated at 25 highway, non of the engines in the ram are rated for 28

I was going by what Autoblog says is coming out soon. Not necessarily what is out there now. I thought they were talking about the '13 but maybe they were talking '14?

Unless you are getting a 1500, I'd go Cummins IMO. But I think also you have to weigh what you are using the truck for. If you are just wanting a truck for cruising with medium to light towing/hauling, then I'd lean towards the HEMI, but if you are doing serious towing/hauling, I'd go diesel and do like the other guys said and get a tune.

I'm gettin a 2500, and since my 10 will be down for a resto it'll be on a trailer for a while... that and I'm apprentice to a cummins tech so antthing that goes wrong can be handled..

I would go cummins, I have a 2011 3500 mega cab and they tow very nice!! The power is ok, if you it to launch better spool on the take off! Foot on brake your going to do a burnout put your foot in it and then hold to floor and let the brake go! I was front bumper to front bumper with a new chev 1500 and my truck is stock with just a drop in K&N , 3" lift with 35" tires.

Depends on how long you plan to keep it, if you will modify it (and lose your powertrain warranty), and what you plan to use it for.

My 2011 3500 Megacab 6 speed got 14-16 mpg stock and was a total bore to drive. After a programmer, deletes, etc. its getting over 20 hwy, is somewhat fun to drive, and ive pulled 24K #'s with it pretty effortlessly. I would NOT buy a cummins again if i wasnt planning on the mods and towing heavy (or keeping it forever). The mileage is worse than the hemis, fuel is $.50 a gallon more, and its an $8k option.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back