CUMMINS TUBO DIESEL QUESTION ?

fast fred

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have to buy a work truck and i'm thinking of buying a 2007 dodge 2500 4x4 5.9liter ho cummins tubo diesel (with the big horn upgrade)with a 4 speed auto)and i don't know munch about them (a diesel i meam)is the 5.9 a good engine? i have always owned v8s and 10s ect....also does eneny one know if there is a site like ours out there,where i could get more info? i did a search and could not find eneything like this site(great info)... thank you for your input ............soporting member..fast fred

The Cummins in my opinion is the best diesel you can get in a light truck. It is the only one out of the big three that has a 350,000 mile overhaul interval. If you leave it stock and just drive it, I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted longer.

A few things to keep in mind with diesel engines:
-They require more regular maintenance than a gas engine (fuel filter changes every 10-15K miles, check for water in fuel, oil changes cost more)
-They are pickier about the fuel (you can trash a set of injectors quickly if you do not watch where you buy your fuel)
-Due to low sulfur diesel it is good to add some sort of injector lubricant with each fill up.
-Buy fuel from high turnover stations (i.e. truck stops).
-May have to use anti-gel additive in the winter if you live in northern regions where the temp drops below freezing in the winter.
-Diesels run best under load (pulling a trailer or hauling cargo).
-Diesels do not like short trips (i.e. city driving short distances, better to leave running than shut down, take much longer than gas engine to reach operating temp).

-Muzzy

Get an 07 with the 5.9 engine and not the new 6.7 cummins. They are having some troubles with the computers and service engine lights on the new emission 6.7L cummins. They monitor way to many things with the new motor via the ecu....plus they are cracking down on available aftermarket chips for these new motors. Go with the bullet proof 5.9!!!

5.9 is a great motor. 6.7 seems to be just as good. the only problems we're having with the emissions is people not using the low-sulfur diesel fuel, using that fuel will ruin the cat. the only way to get the new 6-speed auto is with the 6.7. My opinion opt for the 6.7 with 6-speed auto. also the 6.7 is quieter than the 5.9.

Intercool said:
Get an 07 with the 5.9 engine and not the new 6.7 cummins. They are having some troubles with the computers and service engine lights on the new emission 6.7L cummins. They monitor way to many things with the new motor via the ecu....plus they are cracking down on available aftermarket chips for these new motors. Go with the bullet proof 5.9!!!

I concur. The 5.9L has been around for may years and even with the newer Common Rail Injection it is tried and true. The 6.7L is too new (let them work out the bugs for a year or two) and it now has EGR. Get a 5.9L while you still can. The ISBe's are a great engine.

-Muzzy

fast fred said:
i have to buy a work truck and i'm thinking of buying a 2007 dodge 2500 4x4 5.9liter ho cummins tubo diesel (with the big horn upgrade)with a 4 speed auto)and i don't know munch about them (a diesel i meam)is the 5.9 a good engine? i have always owned v8s and 10s ect....also does eneny one know if there is a site like ours out there,where i could get more info? i did a search and could not find eneything like this site(great info)... thank you for your input ............soporting member..fast fred

Hadn't looked at diesels in a while, but last I heard, 06 was the last of the old style that ran off the old diesel.....07 is the new 6.6 or something....

My diesel buddies recommend a new 06 if you can find one....good luck....I've had two cummins trucks and loved both of them...

The cummins is God among diesel engines. They are pretty much bulletproof. Whatever you do just avoid them ford powerchokes at all costs.

DodgeTalk.com has a pretty good diesel forum going. Might give you some good information...........

earl lee said:
The cummins is God among diesel engines. They are pretty much bulletproof. Whatever you do just avoid them ford powerchokes at all costs.

Yeah all we have at work is Fords and every guy hates them. They are loud, uncomfortable (Lariat models), cheap interiors, and the ride is terrible. But....... the s&*^ we put them through is insane and they hold up, no dash rattles or anything. I work in the Oilfield in Alberta, Canada so yeah they get beat on.

My choice is either the Duramax or Cummins. I personally like the Duramax especially the new 07's, not the 07 Classic model. They look incredible inside and ride very well for a truck. They don't seem to hold up as well, but I am on the top end for Absue Factor. :D

I bought my first Cummins in 1990, then a 93 and finally a 99. Loved them all.

Take a look at this site. I was a member on this site for years, and it's by far the best Dodge Cummins site around in my opinion.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

Now the 5.9 is a great engine. Some of those guys over on the TDR site would give Nowwhat a great run for his money in the quarter. Not only that but the cost would be less than half.

WOW.....you guys are giving me some great feedback, i think i'm going for it,as diesel is a bit lower than gas for a work/play truck and the guy is giving me a good deal $250.00 over invoice and this truck is a 4x4 with a 6'' lift and crome rims and big mud & snow tires(they built this truck for the home show)it has 22mils on it......agin thank you all for some great feedback...fast fred

You can't go wrong with the 5.9. For me I would rather have the duramax. It is quieter than the cummins IMO and rides ton better. Now the 06 Cummins has been refined a little bit in the noise and vibrations department, but still not to spec as the duramax. I had 04 duramax and loved it more than my 05 cummins. What type of work would you be doin in the new truck? Mostly highway or a lot of dirt roads? The Dodges will hold up better in rough stuff better than the Chevy (IFS suspension in the Chevy). If you have a ton of highway driving go with the Chevy your back will thank you later. One thing I also have on my Cummins is an auto timer shut down. You turn the key off and the motor stays running until the preset EGT's have been reached to avoid burning up your turbo bearings. That is why short trips can be problematic. The timer can eliminate that concern.

my brother has the 6.7 and put K&N, 5" turbo back, header and Diablo Sport programmer and it F'in flys....its a 2500 MegaCab.

Is it true that for about 1500.00 you can chip that diesel and put out like Crazy amounts of torque, like 800ftlbs??

We have a few of them here at work motors are a+++++, tranny only lasts about 150,000...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back