Cylinder Head

Chris_ram

Reaction score
Hello from the UK!

It's a long shot but I thought I'd give it a try.

I have a 2005 Ram SRT-10 and long story short, a bolt head popped off the baffle plate on the rocker cover, has been floating around and a valve spring snapped which lead to it bending an exhaust valve. It's also snapped the valve guide and am struggling to source parts in the U.K especially a valve guide. I'm unsure if they are even available or come as part of the cylinder head.

How it's looking at the moment is that I need to source a replacement right hand cylinder head (cylinders 1,3,5,7 and 9).

Any suggestions on where I may be able to find one? I've bought ignition wires and the likes from the Viper store in the past and have emailed them earlier today to see if they're able to help. Any other suggestions?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris.

Hello:

So, the aluminum casting of the cylinder head is damaged?
The valve-guide area is snapped off?

If it is just the guide that is damaged (not the head casting), you should be able to have that replaced at a machine shop.

PS The cylinder heads are both the same; No left/right differences.

Last edited:
Hello:

Hi Ronnie, thanks for the response.

I’ll have to check this out further as I wasn’t aware that the valve guide was a cast part of the head. I didn’t dismantle the engine but will check this out tomorrow. I assumed the valve guide was a pressed item made from harder material than aluminium head. If this is the case then yes, it’s probably the actual head is damaged and needs replacing.

I haven’t had much luck with this truck so far.

Hello:

Hi Ronnie, thanks for the response.

I’ll have to check this out further as I wasn’t aware that the valve guide was a cast part of the head. I didn’t dismantle the engine but will check this out tomorrow. I assumed the valve guide was a pressed item made from harder material than aluminium head. If this is the case then yes, it’s probably the actual head is damaged and needs replacing.

I haven’t had much luck with this truck so far.

Thanks for the replies.

I wasn’t aware the guides were part of the head, I didn’t dismantle the engine myself.

I’ll see if I can get anywhere with it at a machine shop.

When I was looking to source parts, everything were pack quantities. 10 exhaust valves, 10 springs, 20 collets, 10 valve seats and seals etc. Finding them has been difficult over here and thought I might have been better to just source a head.

Hello, I had my breech split and welded.
It was at pressurization that we saw that it was split.
As a result, the valve guides were out of tolerance and the machining center replaced them with new ones. They ordered them in Italy and machined to replace them all 20. As well as the intake valves that were too worn and a folded exhaust due to an intake valve seat lowered with the LPG.

Are you pulling just one head?
If you have issues from propane, you should absolutely be pulling both of them.

If you do, have them BOTH checked to make sure they are flat.
If they need to be cut, take around .020" off of both the bottom and the same amount off of the Intake face.
If your head gasket is the original black one, it's a safe bet your engine has never been apart and a .020" cut along with the new-style head gasket will give you a minor bump in compression providing more torque and efficiency.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back