Damage to spark Plug

SilvrSRT10 said:
When I proposed this idea. I was not to suggesting it could happen under normal or even extreme circumstances. We all know that #3 is very susceptible to catastrophic and immediate failure with the STS. I was thinking it was on the verge of doing so. Doing so to the point that the electrode had become "molten" for lack of a better term. And that when the exhaust valve opened and all that explosive gas escaped all at once it might have happened.

Anyhow, all the brainstorming in the world won't tell us what's really going on. Have to wait until Scott is able to get some tests done. I hope your studying Scott.:D

By no means was I pointing out that your idea was impoissible...I didnt even know your said it (didnt read all the posts :p )
Didnt mean to come off strong :)

Thanks dave!

-Red

Hey RedSrt007 :aetsch: :eviltongue::aetsch: :eviltongue::aetsch: :eviltongue: . :D

It may be improbable, But stranger things have happened.

FlyingLow said:
Thanks Bone for the offer. I might have to take you up on that. I'm just really lost right now on what to do and what my options are. So any of you guys that can give me some ideas please do. I'm trying to figure out what the cost of rebuilds and such are. I'm still trying to find a place to do a leak test. At the very least I will get a compression check done this week.

You are welcome to bring it up here. My time is free for forum members, I just have to find time off from work (someone is already coming down mid March and there is another person who might drive by for a cam install at the end of March). We just have to rent out the shop stall and some mechanic time from the shop, it obviously costs them money for their stall/tools/lift. My friend, Taliban Dan, is an excellent mechanic at the shop and he has already met Sean Roe and Dave V. in person, not to mention a few others at Roe (ed, amy). You would end up paying about 1/3-1/2 of what you would at another shop for any install, along with my help for free. I will be there tomorrow at 478-922-4953, Kitchens Auto Center. We also have a performance shop w/dyno a mile from Kitchens and a Dodge dealership is right down the street. Macon, which is 10 miles away, has several old time tranny and engine shops. I have an old man balancing my crank, pistons, rods right now. He has been doing this for 40 plus years now. Taliban Dan has been with me from the start of all of my installs and is familiar now with the Viper Engine and Tranny, although not technically a Viper Mechanic. Dodge dealer in town sends their warranty work and tough cases to Dan.

Kitchen's also has a towing service if needed.

Don't let me push you into something you don't want to do or are not ready for, I am just trying to help out and offer you an avenue for repair for your issue.

Thanks again Bone. Can you or anyone else tell what what the cost for an engine rebuild would be and how long it would take?

FlyingLow said:
Thanks again Bone. Can you or anyone else tell what what the cost for an engine rebuild would be and how long it would take?

What do you have in mind? What parts do you want replaced or upgraded? I'm sure you will get various answers here depending on mods. Also, who you want to do the install.

When I finish mine, I will post installs and costs to do so.

I'm just looking for bare bones get my shit running again. Once I figure that out then I will see what I can afford to upgrade.

Well then the stock parts wouldn't be too expensive (stock piston, valve, rod, whatever the issue is) and I'm sure Patrick (avondale) could hook you up. Piston would lead to pulling the engine. So 2-3 days labor to pull, repair and replace. Valve or rod may not be as time consuming. However, it's tough to put a price to unless we know the issue.

You can always have my stock pistons and rods.

If you were going to boost again, and you had the engine pulled. I would upgrade some of the internals. my 2 cents

Last edited:
I was thinking the same for boost and upgrading the internals. But I'm thinking the STS needs to come off.

edit: I'm getting a leak test and compression check done tomorrow. I will advise everyone of the results.

Last edited:
FlyingLow said:
I was thinking the same for boost and upgrading the internals. But I'm thinking the STS needs to come off.

edit: I'm getting a leak test and compression check done tomorrow. I will advise everyone of the results.
Let me know how your compressions came out.. I'd like to see how your motor is fairing compared to mine. I did a compression check back around thanksgiving, and pulled about 4 plug wires out of the boots. So mine has been sitting with vapor paper wedged in the plug holes until I get time and warmth to put new wires back on. I'll post my compressions if I can find the piece of paper that I wrote them on.. my next step is to leak down test and boroscope it, but again, I need a little warmth before I attempt that.

Scott Nothing hit the plug.
How can you tell?!? look at the prong, only the tip is contacting the electrode.
the radiused area is still looking ok Its not compressed down to the level of the tip.
Chances are the plug was dropped while installing.

ViperTruck2933 said:
I think I would be looking into a lawsuit if I were you guys. :dontknow:

I think that is probably a good option for you guys with STS... from what I can tell every SRT-10 that I know of that has blown up... you might have a class action going here....

Bone said:
he has already met Sean Roe and Dave V. in person, not to mention a few others at Roe (ed, amy).

AMY

Be still my heart!

All the speculation in the world is only that. Get the tests, no sense planning anything else at this point. Leak down will tell, if necessary pull the head and have someone look. But it sure sounds and looks like an impact to me. Maybe not. I've had reed valves swallowed by an engine with no damage...let's hope for the best...you've had enough trauma in the past year!

Last edited:
azpyroguy said:
I think that is probably a good option for you guys with STS... from what I can tell every SRT-10 that I know of that has blown up... you might have a class action going here....

I know that Rick Squires (The first S in STS) comp'd Phil (Big Asp) for repairs when his first engine (of two that were blown) broke, but Phil's truck was the development vehicle for that system.

The rest of us haven't even received acknowledgement from STS about our engine failures.

AFAIK, the system has two primary flaws:

First was the boost reference signal taken from the charge outlet side of the turbo, which allowed the system to hit 12psi, even though the BOV's were set to 5psi. I sold my system to someone who was running their own engine management, and he saw 12psi on his first outing. I believe that Scott worked with STS to correct that problem with his system before he had driven it very far.

Second, the "mini-VEC" that Roe put together for the system was shipped without a base program in it. This meant that you had no fuel enrichment when you were finished with your installation. Word did go out about that from STS, albeit too late in the game for some (me included).

If someone, particularly a forum member, would be willing to take this on, we could establish a list of everyone effected by this system. Although I've gone way above and beyond a basic engine rebuild, it would have been helpful if the cost of that level of rebuild were reimbursed.

Azmotorhead said:
Scott Nothing hit the plug.
How can you tell?!? look at the prong, only the tip is contacting the electrode.
the radiused area is still looking ok Its not compressed down to the level of the tip.
Chances are the plug was dropped while installing.

Problem with the theory that it was dropped was that the plug had been in the engine for a while. If it had been bad all that time it would have thrown the Misfire code long before it did. As it was it through the code after he had driven it hard at WOT.

Oh well, I guess we will find out later today when Scott gets it back from the shop.

Results are in from the leak test. All cylinders were between 3-5%. We even checked #3 twice. It showed about 5% on the first one and about 3% on the second one. So I don't know what caused the plug to lose the gap. Could have gotten really hot and just started to melt? I don't know. The truck is still not smoking and it idles alright.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back