Dan Reference Pics For Damage Rear Wheel That Fell Off.

SrtBrad

Michel Productions
Reaction score
I went to a meeting tonight. I met up with a friend of mine. While waiting for him to get ready I took a few pics of the truck around 6:45pm on Wednesday night. Here are some of those pics:

RamSept032008001.jpg

RamSept032008004.jpg

RamSept032008014.jpg

RamSept032008017.jpg

RamSept032008022.jpg

I left the meeting around 10:15pm which was around 25 miles away from my house. After around 20 miles a freeway driving I took my offramp by my house which happens to be right beside DC Performance when all hell broke loose. I feel massive vibration followed by horrible noises and then a clutch that started making horrible sick noises. This was at 11:25 pm when I shut her down immediately to find this:

RamSept032008030.jpg

RamSept032008031.jpg

RamSept032008032.jpg

RamSept032008033.jpg

RamSept032008034.jpg

RamSept032008035.jpg

RamSept032008038.jpg

RamSept032008039.jpg

RamSept032008040.jpg

RamSept032008041.jpg

RamSept032008042.jpg

RamSept032008043.jpg

RamSept032008044.jpg

RamSept032008045.jpg

RamSept032008046.jpg

RamSept032008049.jpg

RamSept032008050.jpg

RamSept032008052.jpg

HOW THE F^%& DOES A WHEEL FALL OFF AND ALL THE WHEEL BOLTS ARE BROKEN OFF. The wheel and tire are toast. The quarter panel is bent. The rear bumper is screwed up on the inside off the wheel well. The body panel is also screwed up on the wheel well. The Caliper looks screwed. The transmission is dripping all kinds of oil.

The best part is that it didn't happen when I was on the freeway and the wheel fell off right in front of a strip club so at least I had something to look at before AAA showed up. I am happy to be alive. My wife must of thought I was pulling her leg when I told her to pick me up from a strip club.:D

Dan at DC Performance is going to have an interesting morning since it's sitting at his front doorstep.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Brad that is crazy!!! I have never seen all the studs break off before. If I were to blame something it would have to be the aftermarket lug nuts. That completely sucks, pm if you need help with something

your lucky the tire stayed on. kinda. but that is some crazy shit with all the studs breaking like that.. why would the trans. be leaking from that?

Thank God it was not on the interstate Brad... Unreal...glad your ok.

I had that happen in a 1972 Ranchero, but never seen it happen to a modern car:dontknow:. Glad you're OK

What the hell!?

Did someone try to steal the wheel? (just a thought) The person got the lug nuts off/loose, then you drove it putting stress on the studs and pop they went? You would have had to feel vibration from the loose wheel though.

Only you could have a wheel fly off, and land yourself at a strip bar LOL

Keep us posted on anything you need.

Thanks goodness Brad is ok. I just got the truck and will make sure we get him fixed up right away. I will let everyone know what I found.

Dan Cragin
DC Performance Inc
310-841-6996

I've only seen that happen when lugs were overtightened or if aftermarket wheels are installed with the wrong size hubcentric ring. that's just nuts~

glad you're ok!

Damn Brad, I've never seen all the bolts get sheared like that. Glad that it didn't cause you to end up in a ditch or worse. Hope you get her back on the road quick, that is a gorgeous truck.

Oh yeah, if it was me the OL would have had to come INTO the club to find me (the tow truck driver too LOL).

My friend had a Dakota RT and this happened to him when his trans locked up for some reason...the dealer fixed the trans as well as all the other damage. Glad you are OK!

That just sucks. Glad you are ok Brad. Looking at some of the studs that I could see is they are new breaks. So it looks like something recently made your wheel fall off. If it was an ongoing issue you would see some rust on the studs then the clean metal.

RedSrt007 said:
Only you could have a wheel fly off, and land yourself at a strip bar LOL

Keep us posted on anything you need.

:dito:

Glad you are ok bro! Sorry about your truck!

Bradley, someone loosend your lug nuts or the last time the wheels were tightened it was done with an impact and not checked.

I quote: if you loose one bolt there still are 4 others...

sorry to hear that but you could have killed yourself while speeding, or at least totaled the truck.

we use to go to church and light up a candle for this.

hey Rancheros look like prone to this! My 79 had the same problem... but it was my fault since I was trying an alloy rim with wrong lug nuts when I heard noises, stopped and all the lugs were gone.

I bent a driveshaft which I'm gong to replace soon since it's sold soon!

I have to think that someone was trying to remove the wheel...

Back