DC engineer discussion

Nowwhat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do we have a way to get a 1 or 2 hour forum discussion with a DC rep that knows these trucks and motors....?

Would love to ask some Q's...

greatone61 said:
First question's gonna be about the wing right? :p

nah that is the 2nd question.....:D

Want to know about the:

rear axle
the weight dist.
the driveshaft

Not sure how much help it would be. The other forum had that go round with the engineers. I don't think they answered one useful question. I think they sent a couple of corp lackeys;)

We have a great resource right here on the forum...why don't you post your questions up exactly - if there are others. I have a couple of buddies that i can email too.

Nowwhat said:
I would like confirmation that the SRT is the ONLY vehicle that uses our axle ends....

Actually mike, and dont hold me up to this. But when I was workin at dodge back in 03-04', i remember one time we got one of those(mexican) dodge ramchargers 2 door suv's. The guy had it towed straight from mexico up to our dealer to get the trans fixed. Well long story short it was equipped with the 5.9lmagnum, 4spd auto, and from what the heavyline tech told me that it had a dana 60 axle. we have dana 60's in our truck right? Well ne ways the tech told me that it wouldnt be bad idea to go down to mexico just to get on of the suckers for his 70'challenger. well just some info to consider

The SRT Nationals later this month in Topeka would be a great place to get access to SRT engineers. From my experience, they are very good at answering direct questions. They don't (usually) answer questions about future products or general questions like "So tell me about .....".

I think that our rear end is a Dana Super 60. Don't konw what makes it "super":dontknow:

Its a Dana Pain in the ass60....This Slick issue would be a hell of alot easier if we could just bolt on some smaller brakes so I dont have to have a friggin PIT CREW every time I go to the track!

We know it is a Super Dana.......I would just like to hear from DCX that The SRT is the ONLY vehicle with our axle ends before I start cutting.....will be pissid if some diesel or van has the same ends and 10" brakes.....

Nowwhat said:
We know it is a Super Dana.......I would just like to hear from DCX that The SRT is the ONLY vehicle with our axle ends before I start cutting.....will be pissid if some diesel or van has the same ends and 10" brakes.....

1/2 tons use the 44. 3/4 and 1 tons use a 60 or 80. Thing is they have full floating axles so they are not the same.

Doesn't matter

Nowwhat said:

Doesn't matter.

The lugs on the stock 5 on 5.5" run into the brake parts, with smaller sized brakes, I had to change the bolt patern On the wheels. The wheel lugs run into clearance problems with the brakes on the stock 5 on5.5" pattern.
And that is everybodys brake that we could look at including all after market brakes.
The smallest pattern you can run is 5 on 5" with brakes small enough to allow a 15" rim. I went with a dual pattern 5 on 4.5" and 5 on 4 3/4".
That way I can use most Ford and Chevy rims.
To get the stock tire back on I had the rear end narrowed while the ends were being installed, and then ran an adapter that I had custom made in LA.
I am having Bogart make my race wheels and we will just change the back spacing to get the wheel into the correct position with the narrowed rear end.
The rear end was narrowed 3", 1.5" per side.
I had 40 spline axles made so this was the logical thing to do.
I am not a real great fan of adapters but the ones I had made look up to the job.
I have a set of 18" wheels Bogart made me for the front. Bogart can match the center design I picked for the front 18" wheels he made me, in a street or race wheel.
And now I can use or have any wheel made that has a chevy or ford pattern in the rear.

There is no part of this set up that is easy to deal with.
It is just like every other part of the truck, it will fight you all the way.

Last edited:
FSTJACK said:
Doesn't matter.

The lugs on the stock 5 on 5.5" run into the brake parts, with smaller sized brakes, I had to change the bolt patern On the wheels. The wheel lugs run into clearance problems with the brakes on the stock 5 on5.5" pattern. And that is everybodys brake that we could look at including all after market brakes. The smallest pattern you can run is 5 on 5" with brakes small enough to allow a 15" rim. I went with a dual pattern 5 on 4.5" and 5 on 4 3/4". That way I can use most Ford and Chevy rims. To get the stock tire back on I had the rear end narrowed while the ends were being installed, and then ran an adapter that I had custom made in LA. I am having Bogart make my race wheels and we will just change the back spacing to get the wheel into the correct position with the narrowed rear end. The rear end was narrowed 3", 1.5" per side. I had 40 spline axles made so this was the logical thing to do. I am not a real great fan of adapters but the ones I had made look up to the job. I have a set of 18" wheels Bogart made me for the front. Bogart can match the center design in a street or race wheel. And I can use or have any wheel made that has a chevy or ford pattern. There is no part of this set up that is easy to deal with. It is just like every other part of the truck, it will fight you all the way.
Jack, I can't wait to see this truck of yours. Seems like it might have been easier to start from scratch LOL.

OCBob said:
Jack, I can't wait to see this truck of yours. Seems like it might have been easier to start from scratch LOL.

I saw it yesterday...yes it would have been :burnout:

P.S - for all you sneeky ones, you can see his silver truck on the Scooter video :D

Last edited:
FSTJACK said:
Doesn't matter.

The lugs on the stock 5 on 5.5" run into the brake parts, with smaller sized brakes, I had to change the bolt patern On the wheels. The wheel lugs run into clearance problems with the brakes on the stock 5 on5.5" pattern. And that is everybodys brake that we could look at including all after market brakes. The smallest pattern you can run is 5 on 5" with brakes small enough to allow a 15" rim. I went with a dual pattern 5 on 4.5" and 5 on 4 3/4". That way I can use most Ford and Chevy rims. To get the stock tire back on I had the rear end narrowed while the ends were being installed, and then ran an adapter that I had custom made in LA. I am having Bogart make my race wheels and we will just change the back spacing to get the wheel into the correct position with the narrowed rear end. The rear end was narrowed 3", 1.5" per side. I had 40 spline axles made so this was the logical thing to do. I am not a real great fan of adapters but the ones I had made look up to the job. I have a set of 18" wheels Bogart made me for the front. Bogart can match the center design in a street or race wheel. And I can use or have any wheel made that has a chevy or ford pattern. There is no part of this set up that is easy to deal with. It is just like every other part of the truck, it will fight you all the way.

Boss....I am running a 16" rim on the 5x5.5...

I think what jacks saying is the 5x5.5 axle flange is to big due to the axle shaft size. The axle flange is the problem in getting smaller brakes. At least that is the problem we are facing right now with the custom brake kits I am working with. Hopefully we will have some good news by the end of the week on that side of things :)

-Red

Nowwhat said:
Boss....I am running a 16" rim on the 5x5.5...

Rims are not the problem, it is the lug hardware running into the brake parts beacuse of the diameter (circumferance) of the lug circle.

Silverback said:
1/2 tons use the 44. 3/4 and 1 tons use a 60 or 80. Thing is they have full floating axles so they are not the same.

Well one thing i clearly remember is that the ramcharger that came into the shop didnot have full floating axles(it was 1/2ton ,though). i'm pretty sure there is a bolt on option out there. Actually Nowwhat have you ever tried contacting Baer Brakes in Az? I remember when I was in school we took a tour of their facility and they had some really neat stuff. I'm pretty sure they would have answers as to what would fit on or axle or have something that already does.

Is is possible to replace the axles with compatible ones (Dana Super 60) or will the splines not line up inside the gears? I have a friend who has a 67 chevelle with a dana 60 rear end, he has M/T slicks in the rear (very big, can't tell you the exact tire size). He says the rear ends are the best.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back