Death Wobble - Numb Steering issue

CTRdemon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had this issue with the truck for a long time now, since having it! After some research online my problem seems to have been given the name “death wobbleâ€￾ which affects all Rams. I find the steering is really numb and has so much play that I can turn the wheel back and forth quite violently and still be heading in a straight line.

Here is the UK the roads are (mostly) quite bad quality and MUCH smaller than the US. The issue I have is when I stick to the kerbside and hit any drains or f**king potholes (especially when going round a corner) the truck will jolt and wobble to the side and lose all sense of steering. Trying to correct the steering does nothing and I just have to sit there holding the wheel in the same position and hope for the best. It does make driving on anything other than the motorway a bit sketchy.

Does anyone have any suggestions to cure this? As always thanks for the help guys!

That is most certainly not death wobble. Death wobble affects straight axle vehicles such as 2500 and 3500 rams, Jeep Wranglers, Etc. Our trucks have independent front suspension.

You are experiencing bump steer in my opinion, and JTSVP makes a kit to help with that.

Bump steer it is then! Thanks all.

Has anyone installed the kit? How much difference did it make?

Anyone had/heard of any form of failure from that kit (or any other)?

EDIT: Damn, they are out of stock. Is it worth just replacing the bushings as a start?

Last edited:
It's no " bump steer" lmfao! It's called wide front tires! More than likely I'm willing to bet you have a front shock absorber gone. Are you lowered? Do you have front suspension travel? Biggest issues on these trucks is guys riding on the bumpstops and therefore have NO suspension.

I really hope a front shock hasn't gone. It's only done 4,500miles! I dont think it is, but then again what do I know (complete noob here)!

Nope, all the suspension is stock. Both sides look even & have got plenty of travel.

What can I do to at least solve the play in the steering?

Have you checked all of the suspension and steering components? Maybe you have a tie-rod end issue or bad ball joint. Hitting pot-holes with wide tires and a heavy truck can damage all sorts of components.

Have you checked all of the suspension and steering components? Maybe you have a tie-rod end issue or bad ball joint. Hitting pot-holes with wide tires and a heavy truck can damage all sorts of components.

No yet but that will be top of the list now (if I can get under the bloody thing.) I need to get some stands to make it more accessible.

No yet but that will be top of the list now (if I can get under the bloody thing.) I need to get some stands to make it more accessible.

Better still is getting it to a garage, preferably one who specializes in suspension and alignment. I've logged loads of hours under mine but would still have someone else check that out.

Thanks for the advice, it doesn't sound like something I could solve easily myself. I will get it checked out.

There should be no steering play on a truck with only 4500 miles on it! WTF.....

Bad snake, how long you had the poly bushings in? I had bad experience with poly on my camaro, primarily after a year they started to squeak badly over bumps.

well, bump steer or not:dontknow: I'm telling ya after installing the kit, no more issues, drives like a dream.

Bad snake, how long you had the poly bushings in? I had bad experience with poly on my camaro, primarily after a year they started to squeak badly over bumps.

In my experience, not enough grease on the bushings during install will cause this. Poly bushings require a lot of grease to keep them quiet.

There should be no steering play on a truck with only 4500 miles on it! WTF.....

WTF indeed! It has some serious play. My other car is a civic type-r which is the polar opposite so I can really notice the difference. The missus has a Peugeot 206 the steering is SO much better, even in that.

well, bump steer or not:dontknow: I'm telling ya after installing the kit, no more issues, drives like a dream.

Sounds good, out of stock though :( Will have to wait and just replace the bushings for now I think.

I've replaced front suspension bushings to polyurethane on our trucks with low mileage and the oem were dry rotted even though the truck had low mileage.

I think it is one of the cheapest and best upgrades and the truck handles way better. here is the information on a complete kit or just individual parts
Energy Suspension Parts: Ram 1500, dodge ram 1500 2wd 2005

Thanks for the link, I will be doing this ASAP! Did you fit them yourself? Any HOW TO posts out there?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back