Different tire size matter?

phunny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the stock size is 305/40 but I'd like to go 1 size larger for the rear but the guy from discount tire said it would hurt my abs :dontknow: . Is it true? Do you even think this would look good and what size should I go with anyway?
This is what I was looking at 305/45R-22 118H XL B they are the NITTO 420's

-charlie

The stock size nitto 420 already sits a tad bit higher, as for the abs, i call bs...dont think you'll have any problems. ScottsToy runs 305/45r22's, maybe he will chime in...

phunny said:
I know the stock size is 305/40 but I'd like to go 1 size larger for the rear but the guy from discount tire said it would hurt my abs :dontknow: . Is it true? Do you even think this would look good and what size should I go with anyway?
This is what I was looking at 305/45R-22 118H XL B they are the NITTO 420's

-charlie

Your ABS light will come on. The dealer should be able to use the Starscan to reprogram the new tire circumference for you...check first.

Putting 305/45s was one of the first mods I did and I LOVE it!!! Looks heaps better as it fills in the wheel wells, looks more muscle (suits these hot rod trucks) and I've never been a fan of rubber bands. The traction has definitely improved due to more side wall flex/bite and the ride itself feels more comfortable. Cons? None come to mind, hard to say if it's become a little bouncy as I did a 1/2" front/rear drop kit at the same time. IMO - Go for it.

Cheers,
Carl

TheBatram01.jpg

TheBatram21-1.jpg

TheBatram26-1.jpg

i also gonna go for the 45 series soon...:rock:

He is right and wrong :).

My tires are much larger than stock, and I have no ABS problems. The reason is a simple reprogram that the Dodge Service department can do in about 5 minutes.

The truck i just bought has bigger rubber on it and it drives fine no probs at all

Carlwalski said:
Putting 305/45s was one of the first mods I did and I LOVE it!!! Looks heaps better as it fills in the wheel wells, looks more muscle (suits these hot rod trucks) and I've never been a fan of rubber bands. The traction has definitely improved due to more side wall flex/bite and the ride itself feels more comfortable. Cons? None come to mind, hard to say if it's become a little bouncy as I did a 1/2" front/rear drop kit at the same time. IMO - Go for it.

Cheers,
Carl

TheBatram01.jpg

TheBatram21-1.jpg

TheBatram26-1.jpg

Those 45 series tires,look alot better:rock:

I think everone here missed the boat.... He said he was going to go larger in the rear, not larger on all four.

Your ABS will definitely be affected. How much depends on the program Dodge put into it.

One of the factors used in ABS is whether or not the front wheels are turning a differernt rpm than the rear. With bigger rear tires, they will be turning slower rpm than the fronts at any given speed. Under hard braking, the ABS may try to release brake pressure on the rear axle, and it already seems a bit under braked in the rear.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back