Disappointed with myself

NSDQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to a small local meet earlier tonight after talking to a guy at the parts store today. Showed up and there were only a handful of cars, nothing real special. Anyways, a guy in a late 90's Z28 asked me if I wanted to run over on the local highway so since it was a boring night I agreed. We did a 30mph rolling start and needless to say, I got caught between gears and got my ass handed to me by this Camaro. Guy was humble about it, didn't talk **** or anything, but of course the other guys recorded it on their phones and I'm sure it will wind up on YouTube eventually. I don't like making excuses, so I'll call it what it is, he beat me straight up. Guess I need to find my rolling sweet spot and try and do better next time.

True, I'm not disappointed that I lost, the quad cabs tend to do that, but I feel I lost to a car I shouldn't have. That's why I stay away from the street racing scene, I prefer going to the track where it's more of a level field for everyone.

NSDQ said:
True, I'm not disappointed that I lost, the quad cabs tend to do that, but I feel I lost to a car I shouldn't have. That's why I stay away from the street racing scene, I prefer going to the track where it's more of a level field for everyone.

Hey! Watch what u say about quad cabs! :D

Wildman

Don"t feel so bad. I got beat by a Z-28a couple of years ago. He pulled me about 3 cars off the line and beat me by a half a car. I later found out he was running a 125 shot. No excuse a loss is a loss though. No one can win them all.

Wade

Went to a small local meet earlier tonight after talking to a guy at the parts store today. Showed up and there were only a handful of cars, nothing real special. Anyways, a guy in a late 90's Z28 asked me if I wanted to run over on the local highway so since it was a boring night I agreed. We did a 30mph rolling start and needless to say, I got caught between gears and got my ass handed to me by this Camaro. Guy was humble about it, didn't talk **** or anything, but of course the other guys recorded it on their phones and I'm sure it will wind up on YouTube eventually. I don't like making excuses, so I'll call it what it is, he beat me straight up. Guess I need to find my rolling sweet spot and try and do better next time.

Sh** happens, no big deal. I lost to a SRT-4 the other night in my QC. He was stock, but we went from a 30 roll and I had it in 2nd, and when I went to slap to D I missed and went to N :banghead:

Yea, he talked a lot of crap about it too. I haven't run with an SRT-4 before, so I'll be interested to see what we can do this weekend.

Yep, anything can happen. NO telling what was done to his car. You do need to practice on your own, in a non residential area and see where your sweet spot is. I do think it was about 30 in 1st gear though. You will likely roast the tires when stomping it from there though. 2nd is too high a gear to start in around 30.

Best mod......put a 6 speed in her ;)

I raced a pos looking Honda crx from about a 40 roll and got beat pretty bad, I was thinking i got this lol.

I raced a pos looking Honda crx from about a 40 roll and got beat pretty bad, I was thinking i got this lol.

Bwahaha, it's amazing what can be done with an 1800lb can on wheels.

So while we're talking about racing, launching and all that fun stuff; what's the best launching techniques for a QC? As far as RPMs and best tips for racing from a roll.

I've found I do better from a 40 roll if I start in second, as I don't have to wait an eternity for the downshift. Other than that launching from a stop I tend to "ease" onto the throttle to help negate the sideways slide until I catch 3rd.

From a roll get a Paxton and built motor like Bobby's QC. I love his tank. Gets all the power to the ground and is very consistent unlike most of the big turbo trucks.

But about the question, just play around and figure our where your powder band is. Start the roll race from there. In most cars the other vehicle will also want his sweet spot. It's never an even race unless it's at the track :)

Thanks for the encouragement guys, glad to see a few of us have missed our spot roll racing.

Next time you wanna race just take out your back seat,no tailgate,no spare,no passenger,ect. You probably all ready know this though. In the RC 3rd gear lets say 3500rpm roll to top of 4th seemed very strong as there is little chance of missing a gear. Which would be maybe 50-120mph, it always helped to get all that weight moving BEFORE the flag went down. hehe

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back