Do I need O2 sims?

yellowfever#154

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JMB catless mids and VEC III, I will eventually buy a A/F gauge after I decide which one to buy. Do I need O2 sims in the original 4 locations with this setup?

you guys without cats need sims or you need a pcm flash to eliminate your cel.....

mechanical sims are different from electrical..... with mechanical, you install the mechanical sims in the back two o2 sensor positions, then install your o2 sensor into the sims...... see pic in link:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=133&t=229959

i used the #42002 part's from any local parts store for ~$6.00 a packet (you need a packet for each side)....... from each of the two packets, you need to drill out one of them with a 1/2" drill bit & install them like in the pics in the link above.... you'll probably have to unplug your battery to clear the code (~30 mins) & some driving time may also be involved to clear the code.....

what they do is remove your o2 sensors out of the exhaust stream enough to fool it into thinking there are cats...... work great on my system for over a year.........

you could also strap the back o2 sensors to the frame, but this wouldn't be my choice......

I wonder if the new SCT can do the same as the PCM flash to get rid of the code if you are catless?

Thanks for the help, I wasnt sure if the VEC took over the signals from the O2's. I will try and find some of those around here.

moparracing said:
you guys without cats need sims or you need a pcm flash to eliminate your cel.....

mechanical sims are different from electrical..... with mechanical, you install the mechanical sims in the back two o2 sensor positions, then install your o2 sensor into the sims...... see pic in link:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=133&t=229959

i used the #42002 part's from any local parts store for ~$6.00 a packet (you need a packet for each side)....... from each of the two packets, you need to drill out one of them with a 1/2" drill bit & install them like in the pics in the link above.... you'll probably have to unplug your battery to clear the code (~30 mins) & some driving time may also be involved to clear the code.....

what they do is remove your o2 sensors out of the exhaust stream enough to fool it into thinking there are cats...... work great on my system for over a year.........

you could also strap the back o2 sensors to the frame, but this wouldn't be my choice......

I just grabbed my bag of bolts that came with the mids to measure them for another member and I noticed that JMB sends 2 of those adaptors with the pipes already. Guess I should have looked at the directions and would have noticed that they came with. Am I going to need to get 2 more for the other 2 sensors?

yellowfever#154 said:
I just grabbed my bag of bolts that came with the mids to measure them for another member and I noticed that JMB sends 2 of those adaptors with the pipes already. Guess I should have looked at the directions and would have noticed that they came with. Am I going to need to get 2 more for the other 2 sensors?
you only need sims for the back two o2 sensors........ leave the front two alone....

SCT turns off REAR sensors! You gotta keep front ones in for all systems by my understanding!
Very well said there "moparracing" Two thumbs up!

I actually nailed my tune on my Ram and turned off the front ones also. Not for everybody though....

msdnga said:
I actually nailed my tune on my Ram and turned off the front ones also. Not for everybody though....

Well,then you just taught me something new Marty,I didn't know you could,How does that work if you shut off the front ones too?If you stay in the same area (altitude) that would be fine? What if you were to go through some altitude changes like going through the mountains?

msdnga said:
Yes, the SCT turns them off.
How is this? I plugged mine in but the CEL had gone (comes and goes). It's definitely the 02s. The truck has catless Billy Boats. Does the light need to be on for the SCT to "find" the problem? Any chance of a brief walk through? I feel like a dumb ass as it's probably very easy lol. :eek: Not sure how Moparracings one works by drilling the OEM senors and apart from that it's bung up the exhaust with 18mm plugs and cable tie the sensors to the frame (which is what Sean @ Roe said to do).

If you have a SCT you have to get the program loaded to turn off the sensors. The SCT can clear the code but you will continue to get the CEL until you get the new program that turns the sensors off.

went with Sean's suggestion & just hung the rear O2's so it could get some air when i installed my catless mids.
no probs to date
:burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout:

FlyingLow said:
If you have a SCT you have to get the program loaded to turn off the sensors. The SCT can clear the code but you will continue to get the CEL until you get the new program that turns the sensors off.
Thanks. I just asked Sean. The CEL light hasn't been on since I put one of his tunes in so touch wood it's been cleared. I'm guessing, when you say: "program loaded" that this includes/means it's part of the mods list? Meaning I gave Sean a list of mods which included catless mids etc so therefore he should have included in my tune the "code" to turn the CEL off?

Carlwalski said:
Thanks. I just asked Sean. The CEL light hasn't been on since I put one of his tunes in so touch wood it's been cleared. I'm guessing, when you say: "program loaded" that this includes/means it's part of the mods list? Meaning I gave Sean a list of mods which included catless mids etc so therefore he should have included in my tune the "code" to turn the CEL off?

I think you are right. My understanding is it is just something they set in the computer to turn the O2 sensors off. If the sensors are off then the CEL should not come on. I'm catless and I have a CEL. I'm waiting for a new program which will turn them off.

Carlwalski said:
How is this? I plugged mine in but the CEL had gone (comes and goes). It's definitely the 02s. The truck has catless Billy Boats. Does the light need to be on for the SCT to "find" the problem? Any chance of a brief walk through? I feel like a dumb ass as it's probably very easy lol. :eek: Not sure how Moparracings one works by drilling the OEM senors and apart from that it's bung up the exhaust with 18mm plugs and cable tie the sensors to the frame (which is what Sean @ Roe said to do).
apparrently, i wasn't clear enough for you to understand....... :confused:

the sct tuner or having your pcm flashed turns off or ignores the signal from the back two o2 sensors.... @ that point, you can tie them to the frame, remove all together or install in your midpipe - it really doesn't matter.....

now, not everyone got the sct tuner or having your pcm flashed..... for that, most catless mids come with the mechanical sims (spark plug anti-foulers) ready for install into your back two midpipe 18mm holes, followed by your o2 sensors......
if you bought mids without mechanical sims (spark plug anti-foulers), i was showing how you could make your own very cheaply, by buying spark plug anti-foulers (4 pieces)........ drilling out 2 of them so the o2 sensor would fit into them & the other two would be spacers to effectively back the o2 sensors out of the exhaust stream & fool them into believing the cat's are still there..... very cheap way to beat the system & still look stock, before the sct was available..... i did mine this way for over a year without issues before i went the sct route (see post #2).....

if you still have any more q's, ask & i'll try to explain it to ya. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back