Votes: 5 9.8%
  • 1500+

Votes: 35 68.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TNVIPER

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what might be a norm for oil usage in our trucks....After my engine build it took about 10K miles for my rings to seat...the builder used a hard racing ring...I was using 1 QT every 400-600 miles until the rings seated....the picture below was taken at 1300 miles....oil is still exactly on the fill mark where it was after the last oil change 1300 miles ago..

How far does your oil go?...vote in poll above..

DIPSTICK002.jpg

ya got an '04?????

like to have a dipstick like yours. plastic tipped ones suck

ZCx said:
ya got an '04?????

like to have a dipstick like yours. plastic tipped ones suck

My truck is an 06....you have that wire dip stick?...The 05 I had owned had a wire for a dipstick..hard as heck to read..

TNVIPER said:
My truck is an 06....you have that wire dip stick?...The 05 I had owned had a wire for a dipstick..hard as heck to read..

thanks man

yes it is.

& sorry bout the '04 guess, lol

Oil

A little over 10K on the truck now & I change my oil & filter every 2,000 miles, the level is always full, no noticeable blow-by out of the breather either, been down the quarter about 30 times so far.:rock:

You other guys that are using oil, post up. I'd like to know what set up you have. I don't like the fact that mine uses oil.

LoveThisTruck said:
Close to 5k I think.

How many miles did you put on it before using syn oil?....I think one reason mine took about 10K miles to seat the rings is I went back to syn oil too soon...my builder told me to use dino oil for about a 1000 miles but I think he was used to race engines that were ran much harder..

I used the break in oil for... probably 2k miles:dontknow: don't remember exactly.

I was under the impression that it was normal for a built motor to use a bit of oil.

LoveThisTruck said:
I used the break in oil for... probably 2k miles:dontknow: don't remember exactly.

I was under the impression that it was normal for a built motor to use a bit of oil.

That was something I wanted to compare....I notice posts all the time mentioning oil use....my engine has JE pistons and Eagle rods but they are GM spec...my engine was bored .010 over and the crank turned .020...and as I mentioned I have zero oil use now...

TNVIPER said:
That was something I wanted to compare....I notice posts all the time mentioning oil use....my engine has JE pistons and Eagle rods but they are GM spec...my engine was bored .010 over and the crank turned .020...and as I mentioned I have zero oil use now...

Maybe mine just needs more miles/time:dontknow: She runs real strong, so I don't think there's anything wrong. Guess time will tell.

Mine still has original oil :argh: :D :p :p ;) ;) :marchmellow:

Mine uses 1 qt 700-1200 miles depending on how hard she's run! All stock with tooo many miles!:D

mine seems to use it, not sure how often. if i have been driving easy for a while and then jump on it, i will leave a good smoke trail for about 100 yards. i think its coming out the breather and into the intake where it pools until sucked in due to hard acceleration.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back