• 501 to 1000

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • 1001 to 1500

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • 1500+

Votes: 35 68.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ive got a little over 50k and drive her a little hard EVERY day!!! I use 0w40 and have to add about 1qt every 300ish miles...

I live in LA where its never below 40 (ever) so im thinking of switching to M1 15w50.... is that a good move???? any suggestions not sure if i should stay with 0w40 or switch some say if i use 50 the motor wont pump oil to the valvetrain is that true:dontknow: ???

VIPER-SARAUS said:
Ive got a little over 50k and drive her a little hard EVERY day!!! I use 0w40 and have to add about 1qt every 300ish miles...

I live in LA where its never below 40 (ever) so im thinking of switching to M1 15w50.... is that a good move???? any suggestions not sure if i should stay with 0w40 or switch some say if i use 50 the motor wont pump oil to the valvetrain is that true:dontknow: ???

Thats excessive by any measure. I see a rebuild or the very least a failed emissions test in the very near future. :eek: Your oil pump will pump any common viscosity/blended engine oils. As always reference your owners manual for proper viscosity for your vehicle.

If I was using that much oil, I would want a leak down and compression check. At a minimum you probably have a ring issue.

We all get there sooner or later!

When I got my truck it had 16K miles on it. It used to burn about 2 qts oil between changes. I started driving it real hard. Now at 40K+ miles, it does not burn a drop. The oil stays at exactly the same spot on the stick after 5K miles between changes. Motor has always had Mobil 1, 0W-40 in it.

Thanks Chuck and Prof not really what i wanted to hear since i just bought the truck in August but if it happens to us all sooner or later, i guess it is what it is!! :dontknow:

Yep I definitely use oil in my truck, Id try water as it would be much cheaper but I hear that wont work so yep, Oil is what I use to lube my engine..

LOL

VIPER-SARAUS said:
Thanks Chuck and Prof not really what i wanted to hear since i just bought the truck in August but if it happens to us all sooner or later, i guess it is what it is!! :dontknow:

Just get the tests...you may just have an oil burner...the compression test and leak down will give you some good data to go on.

Your attitude is perfect...what happens happens...we just drive them and fix them because that is part of the fun!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back