Don't understand intercoolers help pls

Tonkasmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a Paxton novi 2000 right now on my truck and am not changing it out just upgrading pieces. So I went to frozenboost.com and ordered a larger heat exchanger for a direct swap. What I am curious about is would an intercooler attaché to the motor intake hose or to the supercharger intake hose. Also could you put one on both. ( would it help anything). I think the intake hose for the motor would go into one side of the intercooler but where is the other side attached to (air filter). My thought here for both supercharger and motor intakes would be to custom pipe an intercooler ( air to air) And then have a piece of pipe that would put intake filters one for the supercharger and 2 for the intake over each hole in the bottom valance. I can picture this but I didn't know if filters into air to air intercoolers into motor/supercharger would do anything positive. Thanks for any and all info on any of this

santeen is your man for this.....my lil bitch should be up at 6 a.m. eastern time to help ya out.

He is a good guy explained the whole supercharger to me and I would guess another hour of time answering questions as well. Not to put him on blast but I would recommend him to any newbie looking for answers from someone who would take the time to explain and make sure you understand. He is a good dude

Okay after a couple hours of research here is my idea. I would disconnect the cooling tank and take it to a machine shop and have them cut the fill nipple out weld shut and then put it onto the other side. That way when attached it would be pointed towards the radiator then run piping down to an intercooler with the inlet/outlet on the same side for space purposes. Then run that back up and into the charger. I don't know if it would be possible or not but it seems pretty easy. Would be better if anyone has any ideas for not having to cut/weld current cool tank but I am at a loss for what to do as far as that attachment point is concerned. Also would that be a air to air IC or a water to air IC. Also still curious about heat exchangers being put onto main motor intake air filter as I wouldn't need one on the supercharger intake filter then

Talking myself through it okay normal intercooler disconnect manifold pipe with bend in it and flip it so it faces drivers way (I have pics on garage page) Then pipe that into intercooler (still not sure on type) and then connect other side straight up and into pipe there now??? Lol fuck I am goin nuts ha

Long story short can I run duel intercoolers or would that be bad for some reason also large thin top mount over manifold still flipping manifold connector then just custom piping. Lol sorry guys car accident on Saturday so a bit scatter brained on pain pills

not a hard answer...
first what PSI are you pushing?
if less then 10PSI, one intercooler will have very limited effect.
look at the older turbo's. they were not even charge air cooled.
every intercooler you add, you add weight, and an air restriction.
basically if your running a 7psi tune, you could get by with none.

Also keep in mind that some vehicles (i.e. Dodge Stealth) came stock with two side mount intercoolers. The problem with those is all the extra piping involved. Just equals extra weight. If you are needing to cool intake temps more than one IC can do....add a fogger system to it. Also, scoob has good points about PSI. Meth/water injection is another great way to drop intake temps....along with a few other added bonuses... ;)

When you start dealing with adding air/air intercoolers, you can experience some loss in boost pressures. Not a whole lot, but some. As falcon mentioned above, I went with the bigger water/air and a meth injection kit. Those two combined lowered the IAT's a ton. Now, I've seen some really efficient air/air intercoolers also.

Okay after a couple hours of research here is my idea. I would disconnect the cooling tank and take it to a machine shop and have them cut the fill nipple out weld shut and then put it onto the other side. That way when attached it would be pointed towards the radiator then run piping down to an intercooler with the inlet/outlet on the same side for space purposes. Then run that back up and into the charger. I don't know if it would be possible or not but it seems pretty easy. Would be better if anyone has any ideas for not having to cut/weld current cool tank but I am at a loss for what to do as far as that attachment point is concerned. Also would that be a air to air IC or a water to air IC. Also still curious about heat exchangers being put onto main motor intake air filter as I wouldn't need one on the supercharger intake filter then

Here is a quick explaination on how the Paxton heat exchanger and water-to-air work.

Blower picks ambient air from the intake side through an air filter.
Blower compresses that air but in the process that air heats up, and passes through the water/air intercooler for it to be cooled before entering the charge pipe. During that process the water in the intercooler also heats up and the heat exchanger is used to cool the water in the intercooler. The key with the water/air intercooler is that the pump that circulates that must be working properly. If the pump fails then the water/air intercooler actually heats the air charge even more.

Hope this answers your question.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back