Draconian California Front License Plate Law

Himes

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So apparantely they have been cracking down on the front license plate law in CA. On my CE it's gonna look like shit, but I try to get pulled over as little as possible. Anyone have any links to a decent looking device to secure a plate to the front? Or what have others done (besides out run the police)?

Himes said:
So apparantely they have been cracking down on the front license plate law in CA. On my CE it's gonna look like shit, but I try to get pulled over as little as possible. Anyone have any links to a decent looking device to secure a plate to the front? Or what have others done (besides out run the police)?
I believe Prof. has one of those retractable front plate holders.

I've been driving w/o a front plate in California for over 30 yrs and have been stopped from time to time.... I have NEVER had a ticket for it.

Of course, when officers pull you over for triple digits, they sometimes utilize felony car stop procedures. Once they get to know me and discover that I'm just an old ex-cop with a scorchingly fast ride and an obese right foot, they aren't really too concerned over the front fkn plate anymore.....:rolleyes:

D

someone posted a photo of a front plate that was frenched in the front bumper.

looked pretty good:rock: :rock: :rock:

Django said:
I've been driving w/o a front plate in California for over 30 yrs and have been stopped from time to time.... I have NEVER had a ticket for it.

Of course, when officers pull you over for triple digits, they sometimes utilize felony car stop procedures. Once they get to know me and discover that I'm just an old ex-cop with a scorchingly fast ride and an obese right foot, they aren't really too concerned over the front fkn plate anymore.....:rolleyes:

D
I live in Texas and do not run plates on the front of my cars or trucks. Been stopped once and the trooper axk where my front plate was and I told him it was in the trunk. He said I should install it I said ok and it is still not on, that's been years back.

ZCx said:
someone posted a photo of a front plate that was frenched in the front bumper.

looked pretty good:rock: :rock: :rock:
I love it when i get frenched in the front bumper.:rock:

Django said:

D

The wife has a custom front end on her PT and no place for a license plate, she put it in her front windshield and has never been harrassed about it.

I have a front plate but came up with a way NOT to drill.... :)

Dead Center Under the Front Bumper is a few screws that I attached a bracket I made to... Here is a link to the parts that I used and how I did it.

The Bracket is made from a Bar Joist Brace I got from Home Depot (Lumber Section).... :) If you have any question just give me a yell... :)

Django said:

D
Well, California IS really broke right now :eek: and the cocky young cops could probably care less :dontknow: :p :D

I DO hope your luck holds out, though :rock: :rock: :rock: :D :rock: :rock:

Django said:

D
Been stopped a couple times myself in the last 25 years, but never got a ticket either. Hell, I rode a bike here with no back plate for a year and never got a ticket lol. It does give them a reason to stop you though, not that they really need one hehe.

We have to run front plates down under in New Zealand, I don't and could careless. :laugh: I've been driving for over 11 years now and not once been pinged for it. The cleaner looks are WELL worth taking the little "risk" for. At the end of the day, it'll just be a very mild slap on the hand. However, since I lurk around the city at night down main street where everyone is doing less than 2-3mph bumper to bumper, cops get more time to view over vehicles in the other lanes so I installed an automatic flip up plate for this very occasion. That way I can cruise and look "legit" then when I'm out of the city for normal driving, it hides away. A perfect, cheap mod, that works well and is very subtle. Below is a video showing it in action on my truck, it's around 1 minute in. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BX70NbwN-I

:cheers:

Thanks for all the input! I think I will just wing it for the time being. I have been here in SD for over 40 years and have only got pinned once for not having front ID and that was on 395 going to Mammoth.

I was talking to our office admin and she said that her boyfriend got 3 tix in a 3 month period for not having digits up front. But then again, he looked like trouble :)

Himes said:

My truck came with one, not installed, but easy to put on..... but the OEM is not very "special" but it works and looks ok. Been looking for somethin with a little more kewl.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back