Drag radials on stock QC, need some advice

ViperPowa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sup guys, I'm gearing up for the labor day drag races in the beginning of September and I got some extra cash in right now, so I want to buy the M/H drag radials and eagle alloy 058 series rims just incase traction is a problem. I plan on trying a few runs on the stock rims/tires and then the DR's. Now my truck is still stock other than caltracs, and the last time at the dragstrip I did not get to test the traction limits of the stock tires since I really babied it and rolled on the throttle taking it easy on the launch. I figure as soon as I run the times I want to hit stock, then I'm going to start modding the truck, so I'm going to get DR's anyway. Might as well get them now.

Are they overkill to run on a stock truck?

Any problems running them with a stock tranny and rear end?

I know the other thread was talking about the M/H DR's making the QC's ratio go very low, but would it make a stock QC run out of 4th gear in tow/haul mode before the end of the 1/4mile?

Also just any tips or concerns with running the M/H DR's with a stock QC in general will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Kauka

Dont waste your money on DRs for a stock QC...You will improve your times better by getting a tune/flash and/or exhaust work (remove 1 or both cats)....cheaper than DRs and you will be faster...

ViperPowa said:
Sup guys, I'm gearing up for the labor day drag races in the beginning of September and I got some extra cash in right now, so I want to buy the M/H drag radials and eagle alloy 058 series rims just incase traction is a problem. I plan on trying a few runs on the stock rims/tires and then the DR's. Now my truck is still stock other than caltracs, and the last time at the dragstrip I did not get to test the traction limits of the stock tires since I really babied it and rolled on the throttle taking it easy on the launch. I figure as soon as I run the times I want to hit stock, then I'm going to start modding the truck, so I'm going to get DR's anyway. Might as well get them now.

Are they overkill to run on a stock truck?

Any problems running them with a stock tranny and rear end?

I know the other thread was talking about the M/H DR's making the QC's ratio go very low, but would it make a stock QC run out of 4th gear in tow/haul mode before the end of the 1/4mile?

Also just any tips or concerns with running the M/H DR's with a stock QC in general will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Kauka

Hi,
I use the M&H Drag Radials & 058 Eagles on my 2005 QC but it is modded and needs more traction than the factory rubber can provide. My truck didn't need drag radials when it had a Stage 2 flash and catback exhaust but yours may if you are racing at sea level. Personally, for your application, I would drop the rear pressure to 22 p.s.i. and get your launch r.p.m. down to where you will have minimum tire spin and try that.
As far as trannys go, I have had mine built and 2nd gear packed it in (again) and I'm sure the drag radials didn't help it. I was getting 1.8 60 foots which loads the tranny pretty hard. The o.e.m. band is VERY thin and doesn't tolerate much. Here is a photo of a brand new o.e.m. band. I think the coating is thicker on a Teflon frying pan! Once that thin lining is gone, the rivets chew into the drum almost immediately and things can start to get pricey. I went to a thicker band in mine and it still failed.

As TNVIPER suggested, buy a flash/tune; it is A MUST for a QC and your truck will stay way more consistent in it's performance.

Attachments

• HPIM1164.JPG
    HPIM1164.JPG
    367.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
RGR that TNVIPER, I really want to see what my truck runs stock though. That's the only reason why my truck is still stock, aside from the caltracs. I want to get my times down to a mid 13 stock, then mod. The reason for getting the DR's would be a back up plan just incase I cant get traction. This event comming up has by far the best track prep than anyother event they hold at our dragstrip all year. So I really don't know if I'll need them, but I'm gonna be pissed if the biggest event of the year I can't get traction to save my life lol.

rottenronnie said:
Hi,
I use the M&H Drag Radials & 058 Eagles on my 2005 QC but it is modded and needs more traction than the factory rubber can provide. My truck didn't need drag radials when it had a Stage 2 flash and catback exhaust but yours may if you are racing at sea level. Personally, for your application, I would drop the rear pressure to 22 p.s.i. and get your launch r.p.m. down to where you will have minimum tire spin and try that.
As far as trannys go, I have had mine built and 2nd gear packed it in (again) and I'm sure the drag radials didn't help it. I was getting 1.8 60 foots which loads the tranny pretty hard. The o.e.m. band is VERY thin and doesn't tolerate much. Here is a photo of a brand new o.e.m. band. Once that thin lining is gone, the rivets chew into the drum almost immediately and things can start to get pricey. I went to a thicker band in mine and it still failed.

As TNVIPER suggested, buy a flash/tune; it is A MUST for a QC and your truck will stay way more consistent in it's performance.

Yeah our track is just above sea level, but it's sometimes VERY humid there and temps in the usual Hawaii mid-high 80's, sometimes low 90's. On a good day with a nice overcast and low humidity the track can be a very good track. Track prep is prepped for 5 and 6 second cars at this event, lots of VHT and it's pretty sticky. Though I'm really not sure how well the stock tires will grip on all the VHT.

Thanks for the info, I was really worried about the DR's being too sticky for a stock QC's tranny and rear.

ViperPowa said:
RGR that TNVIPER, I really want to see what my truck runs stock though. That's the only reason why my truck is still stock, aside from the caltracs. I want to get my times down to a mid 13 stock, then mod. The reason for getting the DR's would be a back up plan just incase I cant get traction. This event comming up has by far the best track prep than anyother event they hold at our dragstrip all year. So I really don't know if I'll need them, but I'm gonna be pissed if the biggest event of the year I can't get traction to save my life lol.

Mid 13s is hard to do with a stock QC but not unknown..track conditions (elevation / DA, weather, track prep and condition) will be a big issue....I dont know about Hawaii but i would bet it would be all but impossible here at Bristol.....most stock QCs run low to high 14s here....only QC I have seen hit mid 13s here is another member here (jtsdad)...but he has a SCT tune by Roe and exhaust mods..

ViperPowa said:

Without a Stage 2 or SCT tune, relocating your A.I.T. sensor or at least doing the resistor trick, your truck WILL pull a lot of timing out when it heats up a bit (usually the 2nd 1/4 mile pass for mine, before I bought a Stage 2) and the performance drops off.
Even with the substantial boost in power you get at a sea level track compared to where I am, I don't think you need the DRs (yet). VHT will help even with the stock tires (and so will everyone elses' rubber on the track). Line up in "the groove" when you launch and make your run.

Ron

Last edited:
ViperPowa said:
Yeah our track is just above sea level, but it's sometimes VERY humid there and temps in the usual Hawaii mid-high 80's, sometimes low 90's. On a good day with a nice overcast and low humidity the track can be a very good track.

As of 1 hour ago (9:00 a.m. Mountain Time), a Density Altitude calc. put your track at 566 feet.
Ours was 5,540 feet last night..

I can only dream.........:slug:

Last edited:
If you can not get a decent 60" time at the track, 2.25 is bad, 1.85 is good, 1.75 is great. Drag Radials will help you get the good 60' which of course drops your ET by that much, which is normally 3 tenths. It does not matter whether you are running 13.50's or 12.50's.

FATJACK said:
If you can not get a decent 60" time at the track, 2.25 is bad, 1.85 is good, 1.75 is great. Drag Radials will help you get the good 60' which of course drops your ET by that much, which is normally 3 tenths. It does not matter whether you are running 13.50's or 12.50's.
what he said........ i only got 3/10's improvement with my drag radials over stock.... the $700.00 invested wasn't worth the outcome..... :(

FATJACK said:

times per inch now that is getting crazy:D

With the QC's and low tire pressure, can you floor it off the line on OEM tires and not spin(after a burnout on the track of course)?

I spun and I was trying to feather it (It was my first time at the track). Don't know how the track was prepped since I didn't have anything to compare it to.

I have:
SCT
Magnaflo
Hi-Flo cats

RagunCajun said:
With the QC's and low tire pressure, can you floor it off the line on OEM tires and not spin(after a burnout on the track of course)?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I want to know too, +1. I see Flyinglow does some big burnouts and he gets wicked 60ft's. So whats the jury say? Big burnouts better traction even with OEM rubber?

Another reason I'm looking at the DR's cause the damn track is always VERY busy at this event, it's the biggest event of the year and they don't pay much (if any) attention to guys wanting to run testntune/time trails only. They are always concentrating on the damn bracket races which ain't my bag, but thier track prep is the best all year at this event, lot's of high 6's low 7's rides so they make that fugger sticky. I don't know if I'll even get enough passes to really practice launching on the tires.

Last edited:
Just turn the tires over a few times on the burnout. You won't spin much, if at all, on the launch:burnout:I think I was launching at 2500-3000 rpm in my QC. I don't remember what my 60 times were, but I was running consistant 14.0's. My best 1/4 mile time was a 13.8 in a bone stock 2006 QC that weighed right at 6000lbs

Ahhh....so that's the secret lol. Maybe I won't be buying DR's but new tires instead to replace these ones after I ruin them? :D

rottenronnie said:
Without a Stage 2 or SCT tune, relocating your A.I.T. sensor or at least doing the resistor trick, your truck WILL pull a lot of timing out when it heats up a bit (usually the 2nd 1/4 mile pass for mine, before I bought a Stage 2) and the performance drops off.

Ron
More info on the bold please, never heard of doing those on our trucks before, but I'm still a noob here.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back