Drag radials with wheels

Im actually thinking of doing an 18" wheel and going with the Mickey thompson et street II tires. If i did that route, the tires i am looking at are 305 wide so what width wheel would i need and what size offset?

Unfortunately the tallest 18 inch drag radial Mickey Thompson makes is 29 inches tall, your stock tires are around 32 inches. You could run those, but you will have a lot more fender gap and sit that much lower to the ground.

The m&h 390 is the tallest drag radial that is made. I spent months and months trying to figure out a combo to work, there just isn't a tall enough tire for anything bigger than 16 if you want a sticky tire.

Im actually thinking of doing an 18" wheel and going with the Mickey thompson et street II tires. If i did that route, the tires i am looking at are 305 wide so what width wheel would i need and what size offset?

If you want to go that route, just use the formula 25.4mm per inch. So a 305 tire is approximately 12" wide. You can fit that on a 10" wide wheel. As KyleB said that tire isn't nearly tall enough.

I mean if I had my choice about it, I would go with a 16 with a tall M&H slick that fills the fender well and looks damn good but I just spent a ton of money on a complete brake upgrade which included hydrodipped calipers so I dont want to grind on my calipers. Oh well...guess its street tires for me cause I am not a fan at all of the 17s with DR tires that stick way outside of the rear fender wells and have all kinds of wheel gap. I know its not all about looks as much as performance but if I'm gonna spend money on something then im going to like the way it performs AND looks. I dont track that much anyways

i also ran the MH 390 on a 17x8 or 9 steelie spare from a hemi truck.

it tucks just right under the wheel wells, but it's not "recommended" for a rim that size... but they're not the boss of me and i like to live dangerously!

so how wide is it??

i say somewhere on here several months ago that someone thought some manufacturer made a 20" drag radial……...

it's a 20x8 i believe, but you aren't gonna find a good tire choice that's gonna benefit you and it's not the right size for our trucks...

you aren't gonna reinvent the wheel (haha.. see.. see the pun? get it? do you????)
you either find the 17's and get the MH 390's or grind the calipers and do 16's and slicks...

If the OP still has the 4.10 gears the 04 came with then any of the Mickey Thompson 18's will probably work. If he is still close to stock he probably won't come close to 110 in the 1/4 mile. It doesn't appear that he has much experience or mods so the shortest tire will give him the best ET. I calculated the following:
Mickey Thompson tire....Diam....Circum..Max speed in 4th@ 6000 (with 4.10's)
315-30-18....................25.5.....80.11......111 mph
305-35-18....................26.4.....82.94......115 mph
345-35-18....................27.5.....86.4........119.7 mph
305-45-18....................28.8.....90.48......125.4 mph

M&H 390-40-17.............29.5....92.68......128.4 mph

Change the rear end to 4.56 and the first 3 tires will be too short.
The 305-45-18 will yield 112.7 @ 6000 rpm, and the M&H will yield 115.5 @ 6000.

Be careful going to full slicks or too tall a tire without more horsepower. Some of the guys on this forum tried the bigger slicks only to slow down their ET. I still am using the M&H cheater slick which is only 30" tall. I have gone 11.63 @ 118 with about 500 rwhp and lighter weight and basically stock engine (exhaust and tune). With these tires I do not spin and have had a best of 1.57 60' with this setup.

it's a 20x8 i believe, but you aren't gonna find a good tire choice that's gonna benefit you and it's not the right size for our trucks...

you aren't gonna reinvent the wheel (haha.. see.. see the pun? get it? do you????)
you either find the 17's and get the MH 390's or grind the calipers and do 16's and slicks...

10-4 on not reinventing the wheel, just thought after all these years something new would work, especially with the larger tires going on more and more cars i thought for sure some options would be available in the slick department

plus i already had 1 of the 20X8 rims……………..:D

so, no one around here stocks wheels, you have to order them and hope they fit or deal with a 20% restocking fee, how do we determine what 17 inch will fit around those brake calipers???

Scott is making some 20 x 13 wheels that look like our stock wheels. You can run a 15 inch Mickey Thompson street tire. It's not a drag radial but its still way better than the tire options we have for 22s
10846425_10207279212085123_6322951841849643300_n.jpg

I wonder how far they will stick out past the body? We still don't have any street radials to fit a 20", right?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back