drive cycle OBD not ready

Itsmekylep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried to take my truck through emissions today but the OBD scanner just read not ready. The guy at the emissions place tole me i have to perform a "drive cycle" I think i found that procedure but it looks like a nightmare to complete unless you have access to an abondoned air strip! Here is what i found
1. start with cold engine, 1/4-3/4 tank of fuel
2.idle engine in drive ( mine is standard transmission) with a/c and defroster on.
3. turn a/c and defroster off and accelerate to 55mph at 1/2 throttle
4. hold 55 mph for 3 minutes
5. decelerate to 20 mph without pressing the brake or clutch
6. accelerate to 55 mph with 3/4 throttle
7. hold 55mph for 5 minutes
8. decelerate to 0 mph with out pressing the brake.

is there anyway around this? can i use a dyno or put the truck on jack stands? anybody tried anything like this or had any luck? I have a sct tuner but im afraid if i put the stock tune in the truck will throw engine codes for no cats etc.... HELP.

I've been though this, you WILL HAVE TO DO THIS up to five times.

What exactly is "Not Ready"?!?

If it's the evap system, here is some info.....

From Robert at VTCOA (TheMoparConnection)

Evap:
**it just needs to be driven more. For Evap to run it needs to be a cold start (after vehicle sits 8+hours) then get up on highway and drive fuel must be between 1/4 and 3/4 or test will not run.

Now if you have access to a DRBIII or know anyone at a local dealer, you can force run the Evap test.

Catalyst / O2 Monitor:
The Catalyst and O2 Monitor information are acquired and processed at the same time. Most vehicles will need to be driven at highway speed (less than 50 mph) (73km/h) for a few minutes. Some vehicles run the monitor at idle in drive. If the vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission, using 4th gear may assist in meeting the monitor running criteria.

Engine RPM between 1200 to 3000.
Engine temperature greater than 70°C (158°F)
Engine run time greater than 92 seconds
MAP between 10 - 20 kPa (7.5 - 15 Hg)
Vehicle speed between 20 - 70 mph (29–103 km/h)

Good Luck!!

Can you do each one seperate or all together? I had like 4 or 5 sensors not ready. I don't know if I just need to do a drive cycle or if its because of all the aftermarket stuff on the truck. Mopar PCM and sct tune catless miss borla exhaust and mopar headers etc...

CATALYST NOT READY, O2 SENSOR NOT READY, HEATED O2 NOT READY , EVAP SYSTEM NOT READY. AM I GOING TO BE FORCED TO PUT THE STOCK EXHAUST SYSTEM ON SO IT HAS CATS AND O2 SENSORS?!

Usually if you just drive it around for a day most of the monitors will close and clear without you doing anything special... I have seen it take up to 200+ miles in some cases though

Dude, your fine, just drive it around, I would return the SCT to stock just in case. I have headers with no cats and I pass the OBD test fine.

I bought it in CA and drove it home I've put 500 miles on it. If I but the tune to stock will I be able to put the modded tune back in?

Dude, your fine, just drive it around, I would return the SCT to stock just in case. I have headers with no cats and I pass the OBD test fine.

just put the tune back to stock, seems to run better lol way less backfire. it wont do any harm running a stock tune will it? i also have a mopar pcm and mopar CAI

You can get a data logger that will monitor and tell you when the systems are "ready".

You can get a data logger that will monitor and tell you when the systems are "ready".

sounds expensive? I think i'll just drive it around with the stock tune tomorrow and hope for the best. Do these SCT tuners double as code ready? or be able to tell me if they are "ready"

Every time I've taken the 10 or Charger in for emissions, I've only driven them 75-100 tops. Nice little freeway on-off ramp trip in the morning, then stop and go driving in the day. I'm cool to meet tomorrow and maybe meet you, we can go by Jaysrt's house and rev the motor. :D

Every time I've taken the 10 or Charger in for emissions, I've only driven them 75-100 tops. Nice little freeway on-off ramp trip in the morning, then stop and go driving in the day. I'm cool to meet tomorrow and maybe meet you, we can go by Jaysrt's house and rev the motor. :D

I'm ok with that, if you promise not to laugh at my garbage tires and smoked brake pads and rotors!!

I live way out in Goodyear, I10 and cotton lane. Not sure what time. What did you have in mind? Just a loop around the 101 or something?

That's cool, we can probably meet by the Cardinals stadium and cruise by Jay's house.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back