Driveline vibration

spydertt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The driveline would make a rumble or vibration at hiway speeds when coasting. If I accelerated or let off gas noise was gone. I inspected carrier bearing and u-joints, all OK. Found spider and side gears had metal flaking off, put in chryo gear set and checked backlash. Problem was much better but could still be felt. Found pinion angle was -8. Truck was lowered with an X-Metal kit when I got it. I bought some spring perches and had them welded in today. I set angle at +4 1/2. I will finish tonight when I get off work. Going to try slicks next year and didn't want the rear end twisting on launch.

Attachments

• 100_3513.JPG
    100_3513.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 309
That axle looks like it's resting ONTOP of the welds and not on the cradle...... Is that a odd angle or what?

+ 4 could be the vibration. Try 0 to -2. -2 to -4 will make you hook better.

Yup your pinion angle is still off it looks and sounds. Don't rule that carrier bearing out for sure. Visual inspection confirms nothing on those usually.
Time for a one piece shaft too ;)

That axle looks like it's resting ONTOP of the welds and not on the cradle...... Is that a odd angle or what?

It is not the best pic. The new spring perches are welded on the bottom of the axle. I have the U-bolts ect off for welding.

My pinion was 8 degrees nose up and It didn't look like the X-metal lowering kit would hold up to drag slicks. I did some research and found many different opinions. Most agreed 0-2 on 4 link and 4-7 on leaf spring. I set it at 4 1/2 and thought I would try it. Sounds like I'll be ordering some wedges , I got the hard part done.

My pinion was 8 degrees nose up and It didn't look like the X-metal lowering kit would hold up to drag slicks. I did some research and found many different opinions. Most agreed 0-2 on 4 link and 4-7 on leaf spring. I set it at 4 1/2 and thought I would try it. Sounds like I'll be ordering some wedges , I got the hard part done.

I have some brand new 6 degree and 2 degree shims if you need them

Time for a one piece shaft too ;)[/QUOTE]

I agree, I'll put it on my X-mass list.

You have any kind of traction bars? If not I would go with the -4 as the leaf springs will wrap up a lot, if you do have traction bars go with the -2 as they cancel out most of the axle wrap

You have any kind of traction bars? If not I would go with the -4 as the leaf springs will wrap up a lot, if you do have traction bars go with the -2 as they cancel out most of the axle wrap

I have Cal-tracs. Just drove home and vibration is gone. The local alignment shop has some wedges in stock. I'll grab some when I have the thrust angle checked before I go to the track.

I posted wrong, was +8 now -4 1/2. How much difference will adjusting it to -2 make? Does a 2 degree wedge change 2 degrees? Truck felt much better on way home. I did one launch that attracted a cops attention, so I put it away for winter. Snow coming and deer season.

I posted wrong, was +8 now -4 1/2. How much difference will adjusting it to -2 make? Does a 2 degree wedge change 2 degrees? Truck felt much better on way home. I did one launch that attracted a cops attention, so I put it away for winter. Snow coming and deer season.

If you are at 4.5 down and have no vibration, I would leave it alone. That should give you more forward bite( hook up). Too much angle starts to rob power and start vibrating again.

If you are at 4.5 down and have no vibration, I would leave it alone. That should give you more forward bite( hook up). Too much angle starts to rob power and start vibrating again.

yes Sir. And I forgot to thank you for the help before. thanks

Thanks for the info. Pinion angle adjusted, slicks mounted, driveshaft loop and under drive pulley installed , a little luck and hoping to break into the 11s next year.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back