Driving at the Limits

SRTHOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say I'm a great driver bc I've never had anything with real power, I've been able to drift my old QC ram around a round about smooth and I've driven some GTO's, V8 M3's etc, but I was watching some old school Top Gear on Net Flix and they were talking about how easy the GTO was to drive at its limits without loosing control. I know many of you have had a GTO and a 10. I like the GTO drivability even though it's ugly. So I'd like some comparison and some general comments about 10 and 10vs GTO's at their limits. From what I've read about the Viper it's easy to push it past it limits and be out of control quickly. Is the 10 the same way?

I havent lost control of mine yet, and I know for damn sure Ive pushed it to its limits without being on an actual track. (how gay would that look, a QC on a road course) Theres the infamous burn-out then flip video of that guy in his 10. But who knows how long he had that thing. I have heard stories about people spinning out in PCB trying to show-off and have seen a few members here loose it (cough, cough Mopar cough) but I think its just like any other car. If you respect the power it has, and remember that it really does have over 500 hp, and spend some time building your skills, you'll probably be ok. There is no traction control, its all on the driver. Thats why you hear that about the Vipers. In my opinion thats how it should be, a real drivers machine. If you were a good driver before and are confident in your skills without being cocky, you will have some real fun with this thing. If you drive like a bitch all the time and then decide to show off leaving the car show one day, youre gonna look like an idiot. Not saying thats gonna happen, but you know if youre a good driver or not.

I had an 05 GTO M6, I always felt in control driving this car, and could predict how the car would react to the throttle. It was a heavy car, but seemed planted to me. I have not had the 10 very long, and have not tried to push it too far...yet. But so far, I am very impressed with the steering responsiveness, at least compared to all the other trucks I have driven (mostly 4x4). To me, the 10 seems to bounce more with the road imperfections, compared to what a car would do, so in that regard, it seems less stable at high speed. There is only so much you can do with the truck and the center of gravity, weight, etc.

I must say, I do miss my GTO, but I like the "special" feeling of driving something like the SRT 10.

I had an 05 GTO M6, I always felt in control driving this car, and could predict how the car would react to the throttle. It was a heavy car, but seemed planted to me. I have not had the 10 very long, and have not tried to push it too far...yet. But so far, I am very impressed with the steering responsiveness, at least compared to all the other trucks I have driven (mostly 4x4). To me, the 10 seems to bounce more with the road imperfections, compared to what a car would do, so in that regard, it seems less stable at high speed. There is only so much you can do with the truck and the center of gravity, weight, etc.

I must say, I do miss my GTO,:rock::rock::rock: but I like the "special" feeling of driving something like the SRT 10.:rock::rock::rock:

ain't it the truth ain't it the truth:rock::rock::rock::rock:

wish i could post the link to the vid on YouTube. Red RC bein driven on a road course, the way the were meant/designed for:burnout::rock:

Attachments

• 2004-Dodge-Ram-SRT-10-Red-FA-Speed-1024x768.jpg
    2004-Dodge-Ram-SRT-10-Red-FA-Speed-1024x768.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 65
I've had 35+ vehicles, including pumped up big blocks, SRT8's, etc. I also sold cars for 4 years, during which time I drove hundreds of different vehicles. My buddies have always had fast stuff too. In short, I've driven lots of stuff. The '10 is one of the least predictable handling vehicles I've ever driven. It's sketchy at high speeds (again I've driven LOTS of trucks and none were as finicky as the '10), doesn't like to power slide through a corner (honestly, I've had Suburbans that were more predictable, so it's not a weight thing), is very unforgiving coming out of high speed maneuvers (um, did I pop a tire? :D), etc. Basically, I would define it as beast. It's also my favorite vehicle I've ever had, bar none.

Last edited:
:rock::rock::rock::rock: very well said:burnout::burnout::burnout:

They both have their positives and negatives. For starters, a GTO is going to be much cheaper to go fast because it has an LS motor. But if you like attention, the GTO isn't bringing you that unless you get one in a loud color like Brazen Orange. I have owned 2 10s, 1 GTO and I'd buy another 10 if I had to do it all over again.

That video is what our trucks are all about! I know ArrestmeRed04, ZCX, Venom Power, and myself can attest to 120-125 around the Texas Motor Speedway NASCAR track :rock:
May be oval but my QC was so predictable I videoed with one hand on the wheel, the other videotaping at 125 ;)

They are very predictable, you learn how to drift real fast :rock:
And buy tires....:dontknow:

That video is what our trucks are all about! I know ArrestmeRed04, ZCX, Venom Power, and myself can attest to 120-125 around the Texas Motor Speedway NASCAR track :rock:
May be oval but my QC was so predictable I videoed with one hand on the wheel, the other videotaping at 125 ;)

They are very predictable, you learn how to drift real fast :rock:
And buy tires....:dontknow:

Ha, I'm learning how to drift on I-45. :D

The most to the limit that I do in my truck is sliding around turns in the rain. Otherwise Ive calmed down so much as Ive gotten older.

Befor I bought mine I watched that rollover vidio...I wish I never had.Ther is also the problem of tickets and being arrested if you get caught REALLY playing hard with your SRT..My truck just seems so different in a WOT..Just like the 2004 1/2 ton 5.7 I had untill you really nail it.The you see what the SRT is all about.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back