Driving Impression- NEW UPGRADE!!!!!

HaulinAsp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:nurse: I just removed a very tired and well grooved stocker clutch, pressure plate and flywheel.:D

The stock clutch leaves little to be desired and does not get all the power to the wheels PERIOD.:(

I called some friends of mine from the Diesel Performance Industry ( I am a Diesel Motor Sports Association Race Director.) These friends are one of the leaders of providing the ability to transfer ungodly amounts of diesel torque to the ground. They are known for there incredible clutches in the Diesel Sled Pulling Competitions. And they also are known for their racing competition clutches. Diesel torque hits fast and early so having a clutch that holds up to this abuse these rigs can dish out is a feat with a stick.

Here is a link to my friends : http://www.southbendclutch.com/

I called Pete and discussed my displeasure with my factory clutch in my Viper Truck. I was leery of the current offerings available to me. He listened carefully as I relented to him my driving style. I feel this is a good way to give him an idea on the abuse I am known to throw at my rides. He took this information and told me he can make my experience driving this truck a big time pleasure for me again.

Southbend custom built me a SS DXD for my Viper truck. I was informed to break it in with 150 miles of normal, easy going street driving, and once completed, I could start to get on it in my normal fashion.:D

To prepare for this new bad boy clutch I ordered a new flywheel from Dodge, and also ordered a JMB Viper Slave upgrade kit (thanks Justin! Your service rocks!!) And also picked up some Royal Purple juices for the trans.

Removal of the stock trans went pretty straight forward along with removal of the stock slave cylinder assembly. Once we had the stock clutch and pressure plate out I seen the reasons for my displeasure. The clutch plate was well toasted and the pressure plate surface was well grooved and abused, the flywheel showed excessive chatter markings on the surface.
I'll keep those around and hang em on the shops wall.;)

Install.....

The JMB Slave upgrade kit was installed with no problems and was very easy to accomplish. This upgrade kit is a must do with any high preformance clutch and the stock platistic assembly is little to be desired in strength for the Ronnie Sox's out there.

The install of the new flywheel, clutch and pressure plate was abreeze to install also. Be sure to use your torque wrench and torque everything in evenly in a crisscross pattern.

Driving impression-

As soon as the job was done and the tools were returned to the toolboxs, start up was done while still on the jackstands. I checked the clutch pedals movement and clutch application- everything was good, no noises or vibrations felt. Off the jack stands and set to back out the garage- as soon as a started to let off the clutch pedal the clutch grabbed and WHOA! :)

I took it down the road and easily rowed through a few gears- the grip was really starting to impress me. I have 85 miles on it thus far and I have yet to bring the engine over 4000 rpm's- so far I am VERY HAPPY and VERY WELL IMPRESSED. This clutch flat out grabs!!!!:rock: My opinion is this is defineately a clutch set up for the folks with forced induction or for the folks who like myself "drive em like they stole em" :rock:

I will update as this clutch gets fully broken in- and once the track opens I'll take it to the track to validate my performance increase. :elefant:

I know the e.t. will not reflect what little I have done to my truck- I am positive it is way better as I feel this clutch grab and take hold thus transferring the engines torque to the wheels in an efficient manner.

For those of you who are considering a new upgrade I will vouch 150% for the SouthBend Clutch. Call up and talk to Pete- he stands behind his products and really knows how to transfer power to the wheels with an efficient clutch set up. Trust me you will be happy with Southbend- just like I am. I don't work for Southbend nor benifit from them, I am posting this in a manner to which inform my Viper truck buds of something new that is impressive- and is a very worthy upgrade that can take what you throw at it.

:D :D :D Southbend Clutches ROCK!!!!!!:rock: :rock: Now I need to go out and gently put another 70 or so miles on it and then go vette hunting:burnout::elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

Got a buddy that put a Dual Disk clutch in his CTD,in neutral that sucker was noisy,but drop the hammer on that badd boy,and you better hold on !!! :rock:

6pakattack said:
Got a buddy that put a Dual Disk clutch in his CTD,in neutral that sucker was noisy,but drop the hammer on that badd boy,and you better hold on !!! :rock:

Would that buddy be someone I know as Chris!!:D :rock: :rock:

I should have some pics up soon- I forgot to add their number-

Southbend Clutch- 1-800-988-4345

I can see about arranging a possible VTCOA Group Buy if there is enough interest.

Also if there are any members in my area that want to test drive my truck for a comparision, PM me and we'll try to get arrangements made. I fully believe this is THE answer for forced induction equipped Viper Trucks and owners who drive em hard........

:D

I am sure the break in point will be reached tomorrow........:p ;) :elefant:

They have one for a Viper, wonder how it compares to the stocker. Stock holds up pretty well in these things

I had the mccloud Dual Disk in after the SC then I found it was hard on the trans. Good luck!

Keep us posted on your progress...I am into my second CenterForce and if there is a good alternative we need to know about it.

I would break it in more than the recommended miles there stating! Centerforce recommends 500 I took mine to 750 before I flogged on iT!!

Keep us posted on how she holds up!:rock:

YEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAAAW!!!!!!!

sleeper said:
Hurry up and put those break in miles on it. I want to know how its going to do when start to beat on it.
:rofl: Well as promised, the break in point was reached today, admittedly it was at 146.7 miles at the break in point when I started getting back into my old ways:D

My brother whom was right with me doing this swap, was in the passengers seat on test drive 2. If someone was to take a picture from the front they would see two guys like this:D :D

From a stand still start and a slight rev and dump, the clutch INSTANTLY GRABBED AND LOCKED- we were rewarded with 2 long strips of rubber and as fast as the tach climbed as I rowed through the gears- the bigger the smiles got:D :D

This clutch pulls HARD every gear. No slip. All grab. I suspect a driveshaft loop will be the next modification......

:rock: :rock: :rock: THANK YOU SOUTHBEND!!!!:D

Marc T said:
I would break it in more than the recommended miles there stating! Centerforce recommends 500 I took mine to 750 before I flogged on iT!!

Keep us posted on how she holds up!:rock:
:) I trust Pete, the owner of Southbend Clutches, again he has a strong reputation for standing behind his products, he also sells product to some of the other clutch guys, he knows how to make a clutch for most applications and driving styes. He stated 150 miles then rock on...... ;)

mauiSRT/10 said:
How much was the clutch? Looking forward to your impressions over time as well.

patrick
I'm going to talk to Pete to see about arranging a VTCOA member "special price".....:rock:

So far this clutch is AWESOME!!!:rock: I've been getting on it harder and harder and I just keeps answering back with grip !!!!:driver: :rock: :burnout:

I knew contacting Pete was going to answer my needs.:elefant: :elefant:

Thanks for posting. Glad to see that there is another alternative out there. I have been kind of careful with my trucks clutch due to the stock issues. I am interested to see the cost on this as well. Have to do the master / slave upgrade as well.

320 miles of pure excitement so far. I had it out on the highway with a friend who has been in my truck numerous times, he even commented that the truck pulls WAY harder than before. No noises no chatter and most of all no slippage. :burnout:

I spoke to Pete at Southbend and we discussed these clutches in depth, He has two other styles for our trucks- Stage 1- Stage 2 and the one I have is the Stage 3 (Drive it like you Stole it Model:D ) I requested a special VTCOA member group buy deal, and he said this is possible, he is getting back to me with the particulars on that so I will update y-all when the info comes my way.;)

Once again I can't believe the difference this Southbend Clutch has made to my basically stock truck. I am confident the power is now getting to the rear wheels.:D :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back