• Leave the K&N CAI on the truck

Votes: 38 60.3%
  • Put the stock system back on with a "drop-in" filter

Votes: 25 39.7%

• Total voters

outnumbered

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know, it's been discussed over and over, but it appears that comments are spread over many threads. So what I would like is input from people that have done both (if there are any), and comment on your experience: is there really a power difference?

I put the CAI on my truck after only 900 miles, and it was hard to tell a difference in performance because the truck had not been "broken in" at that point. I'm debating whether to order a drop-in and put my stock system back on for comparison sake. But I don't want to go through the trouble if it isn't going to make a difference.

Ask DC Performance or Boomer...both have tested via dyno...CAI seldom helps and often hurts hp. Now CAI looks and sounds great...and that is important to all of us. But Chrysler did a good job of designing this intake system.

But...and this is an important but...I don't think the hp differences were significant. A few at best...but what do I know...I don't have either one!

Prof said:
Ask DC Performance or Boomer...both have tested via dyno...CAI seldom helps and often hurts hp. Now CAI looks and sounds great...and that is important to all of us. But Chrysler did a good job of designing this intake system.

But...and this is an important but...I don't think the hp differences were significant. A few at best...but what do I know...I don't have either one!

You're right Roy, the CAI sounds really nice. But I am interested in power, and I'm beginning to wonder if the stock system with a drop-in provides a greater low end grunt. As for appearances, I have seen some that have doctored their stock box to make it look rather nice.

i just dont see how the stock is better, Take youre filter out and there is only a small hole for air to come in. On my JMB you can hear the air being sucked in,

stick said:
i just dont see how the stock is better, Take youre filter out and there is only a small hole for air to come in. On my JMB you can hear the air being sucked in,

Maybe the stock box allows for some sort of pressurization to occur, while also keeping the air charge a little cooler:dontknow: I know heat has always been a concern, especially during the summer months.

I picked up 4rwhp/7rwtq on the dyno just from a K&N drop in, nothing else. I dont have any experience with a CAI. I've heard from people on this site that its not worth the extra money except for the sound and I get plenty of that from my exhaust set-up.

On the dyno sheets that I saw posted in years past, some showed small gains with the CAI. Most showed no gains, but no losses either.

I only know of one dyno that showed a loss with a CAI and that was Boomers dyno of the Volant CAI. I think once that word started getting around alot of people just started saying OH you're gonna lose power with any CAI.

I don't think that's a fair analysis. IMO it's not going to affect your power level more than 3-4 hp in either direction. You're not going to see ANY gain or loss in your 1/4 mile ET based on a 3-4 hp difference in a 5000+ lb brick.

If it really means that much to you put YOUR truck on a dyno with each setup and see what your truck is doing.;)

ViperTruck2933 said:
If it really means that much to you put YOUR truck on a dyno with each setup and see what your truck is doing.;)

And there you go. :top:

This is exactly what I did. Took a total of 20 dyno pulls but I got good numbers for bone stock, K&N only, K&N and stage II PCM, K&N, PCM, full exhaust.

spdrcrj said:
And there you go. :top:

This is exactly what I did. Took a total of 20 dyno pulls but I got good numbers for bone stock, K&N only, K&N and stage II PCM, K&N, PCM, full exhaust.

I spent a small fortune with over 60 pulls on the Harley Truck, so I was trying to find someone with some actual experience to eliminate the need to go that route again with the Dodge. I had pretty much come to the conclusion that the gain or loss would be minimal, but was curious if they showed improved track times, or if the low end grunt was stronger either way. Thanks for the input.

outnumbered said:
I spent a small fortune with over 60 pulls on the Harley Truck, so I was trying to find someone with some actual experience to eliminate the need to go that route again with the Dodge. I had pretty much come to the conclusion that the gain or loss would be minimal, but was curious if they showed improved track times, or if the low end grunt was stronger either way. Thanks for the input.
I will add one more piece of info to your thought process on this.

Most of the guys who have ran in the 12's with bolt ons did it with a CAI on the truck. :confused:

When you busted into the 12s did you have a CAI or a drop in? :dontknow:

I voted to keep the CAI in, all around i dont think its hurting you.

Remember on a dyno, there is little or no air moving over the front of the truck (a 4' fan cant duplicate your truck in 3rd or 4th gear), so a CAI losses alot of its benefit. A more realistic test would be a before and after at the track with careful attetion payed to your MPH at the 1/8 and 1/4 (and the difference between the two).
Justin

JMB Justin said:
Remember on a dyno, there is little or no air moving over the front of the truck (a 4' fan cant duplicate your truck in 3rd or 4th gear), so a CAI losses alot of its benefit. A more realistic test would be a before and after at the track with careful attetion payed to your MPH at the 1/8 and 1/4 (and the difference between the two).
Justin

This is true of the stock box also. The shield behind the grill on the right hand side funnels air into the air box.

Actually in my opinion the stock system is pretty well designed. The only thing I dislike about it is the corrigated hose leading into the throttle body. That's a piece of shit.

LETS TALK HEMI FOR A SEC...BECAUSE I HAVE THE STOCK AIR BOX IN THE SRT-10 FOR NOW, SO LETS TALK HEMI, I PUT A "COLD" AIR INTAKE ON THE DAYTONA RAM AND I DONT KNOW ABOUT HP OR TRQ, BUT I DID PICK UP 4-5 MPG IN FUEL ECONOMY. HOPE THAT HELPS.

davo19 said:
LETS TALK HEMI FOR A SEC...BECAUSE I HAVE THE STOCK AIR BOX IN THE SRT-10 FOR NOW, SO LETS TALK HEMI, I PUT A "COLD" AIR INTAKE ON THE DAYTONA RAM AND I DONT KNOW ABOUT HP OR TRQ, BUT I DID PICK UP 4-5 MPG IN FUEL ECONOMY. HOPE THAT HELPS.
Dude, no offense but lets NOT talk Hemi. This is an SRT10 forum. There are other forums to discuss Hemi's. ;)

JUST OFFERING $.02 THAT MAY HAVE BEEN OF INTREST. THE FUEL GAIN ALONE IS ENOUGH TO CONVINCE ME TO PUT ONE ON THE SRT-10.

ViperTruck2933 said:
I will add one more piece of info to your thought process on this.

Most of the guys who have ran in the 12's with bolt ons did it with a CAI on the truck. :confused:

When you busted into the 12s did you have a CAI or a drop in? :dontknow:

:eek: ........CAI. But! Maybe 12.8 with the drop-in?:D

Silverback said:
This is true of the stock box also. The shield behind the grill on the right hand side funnels air into the air box.

Actually in my opinion the stock system is pretty well designed. The only thing I dislike about it is the corrigated hose leading into the throttle body. That's a piece of shit.

You know, I was only remembering the box itself. I completely forgot about that ugly tube. Besides the poll is 6 to 3. Ok, it's settled.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back