Duramax vs GCSRT8

caveman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A dude with a GCSRT8 stopped by the office today looking for a quick race or three. My passenger didn't have his camera ready the first race, but he got the second two. His passenger has video also, but I'm waiting for him to send them to me.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKPK4dd8UxE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOLsNccqZKw[/ame]

at light throttle at 20 mph wouldn't it be in 2 or 3 by then just coasting along???

at the very least i expected to be able to hear the sudden intake of air and jump in RPMS?? maybe i just think it would be loud cause I'm listening to the sound of Zilla through the firewall and floorboards??

at light throttle at 20 mph wouldn't it be in 2 or 3 by then just coasting along???

at the very least i expected to be able to hear the sudden intake of air and jump in RPMS?? maybe i just think it would be loud cause I'm listening to the sound of Zilla through the firewall and floorboards??

We raced from a dead stop, not a 20mph roll.

i can't see crap:dontknow:

Some of the diesels are getting crazy fast. I've noticed a huge jump in mph in the trucks that have had the money spent on them.

$14,000 for major head surgery alone on an inline 6 cyl. Cummins (and "a few more r.p.m." and some other stuff) = 1900+ horsepower.

It’s ridiculously simple to get 500whp/1000wtq out of a newer Duramax. The new Ford diesel transmissions easily stand up to 700whp. The diesel world is just a whole different ball game. The big benefit for me is having a low RPM boosted application - it works very well for playing on the street at higher elevation. I know you can appreciate how DA effects horsepower, but most people seem to overlook it completely. I bet the SRT8 in the videos is good for a 15 second 1/4 on a day like today, whereas the Duramax probably only loses a couple tenths from a sea-level pass.

i can't see crap:dontknow:
You can't see the videos in the original post?

They raced from a dig to 20mph. Can't you tell?

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

I got out of it at about 85mph in the first video. I shift into 5th right at 80mph and I'm not supposed to be putting full boost to 5th or 6th gear on the stock trans.

WOW, that did not take long.
Street racing is a lot like sex: get in, get it done, get out. Neither takes more than about 15 seconds. :D

Last edited:
Street racing is a lot like sex: get in, get it done, get out. Neither takes more than about 15 seconds. :D[/QUOTE]

I don't think your wife and/or girlfriend would agree with that statement. Lol

Caveman:

Yes, altitude plays a huge part in performance, as you are keenly aware.

A couple of brand new QC SRT-10s around here were running 15.3s; Same truck could run 14.6-14.7s at sea-level on an average day.

Far more accurate than e.t. for power comparisons though is comparing m.p.h. and they would pick up 8 or 9 m.p.h. at sea-level.

We beta-tested the first E-Force Supercharger kit installation in Canada for Edelbrock on an SS Camaro (Jason Fairley's shop) and it was down on power 10% across the board compared to sea-level numbers.
It picked up and was bang-on where it was supposed to be once it was able to run at sea-level (with zero changes). I.O.W. it gained 10% more power at the lower altitude.

Throw in anemic weather fluctuations and our 3800 foot mean altitude changes to 7800 feet (or worse). NOW, the low power really becomes evident!!
You likely experience the same thing in your area..

Some guys say they can notice the pressure drop on a compression test at the higher altitudes. This stands to reason, but I've found it inconclusive with a standard graduated compression tester.

Anyway, 10 p.s.i. supercharger kits will develop 7- 7.5 p.s.i. here in Calgary but will provide their advertised 10 psi gain at sea-level.

And you can typically expect 2.75-3.0 p.s.i. out of a stock Roe-style supercharger kit at our altitude (same I'm sure, where you are).

So, in other words, racing at a sea-level track compared to here is like bolting on a 3 p.s.i. supercharger; it's the same I'm sure where you are.

F.I. engines don't seem to be impacted as much as the N.A. vehicles, but even top-fuelers (or anything else) won't break records on high altitude tracks where you or I live.

I haven't really kept track of the diesels' performance changes due to altitude but unless they are ingesting large volumes of air (modified head), they likely suffer less at high altitudes than a gas engine.

It can get expensive to get something to go fast reliably.

Racing at sea-level is a cheap way to get big gains!

And yes, technology is allowing BIG power from the diesels these days.
The tranny business is booming: "Gee, why can't I pull my 30 foot trailer up a mountain at w.o.t. with my double-chipped diesel"?? :)

But $14,000 for ONE Diesel head?!?
And some guys thought Strikers were expensive. :D

Hey, maybe I'll design my own cylinder head for the Cummins and call them STOKERS.

Last edited:
Sold my SRT8 GC for the truck. I do miss it at times but glad I made the switch. Maybe down the road ill buy another and make the Jeep my daily. It was BADA$$ to own.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back