Dyno coming up with new stage 2

amtrucker22

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please remember I am new to the performance world.

I should be getting my new Stage II from TheMoparConnection soon :burnout:. Once I get this I am going to take it to XXX Motorsports here in town (thanks for the tips Smoke) and get it dyno'd. When I was at the Memorial day GTG at Earl's someone mentioned that I should do the dyno before I install the stage II and then after I install the stage II (since I get 3 runs). After talking with Smoke he mentioned I would need to drive the truck for 50-100 miles to get the truck use to the new pcm. So to avoid paying to dyno my truck twice, I was curious to what type of gains I should see without driving my truck inbetween runs. How much time is spent on the dyno (miles put on the truck?)

Is there anything I should look for when getting it dyno'd? Smoke mentioned my air to fuel ratio. Anything else?

Thanks,

Paul

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
Make sure you are in tow/haul mode otherwise it will shift out of the power band.
Damn, I would of never thought to put it in tow/haul mode. Thanks :rock: :rock:

I don't know the answer to your question about changing the pcm between runs. . . Seems it would be a good idea to let it learn the new pcm. . .

Things to look for? Look/hope for a good smooth steady graph/curve. Inquire about and sudden dips or sudden spikes.

there is no "learning the new pcm" whoever started that rumor should be shot. it learns if you have bad gas by retarding the timing but that's about it.

good luck!

don't bother with the dyno...you will feel a huge difference...much more than a dyno will show...

amtrucker22 said:
Damn, I would of never thought to put it in tow/haul mode. Thanks :rock: :rock:

You can also disconnect the kick-down cable. Remember that you won't see much in Max HP and Max TRQ. Where you will see most of your gains will be in the lower RPM bands.

AWDisuzu said:
there is no "learning the new pcm" whoever started that rumor should be shot. it learns if you have bad gas by retarding the timing but that's about it.

good luck!

I have always heard that. I remember back in the day before the flashes when people would complain about how the trucks felt sluggish. Then after a certain mileage their truck would wake up. I think it could be the same thing here. Adding a mod such as an CAI changes the airflow. I would think the PCM would need to see the change in airflow and adjust accordingly. I would also guess that it is a slow change so it know that it is a permanent change and not just a momentary difference in airflow (Or what ever the mod is. I just used the intake as an example). But this is just my opinion as I have no solid proof one way or the other. I figure it can't hurt so try it. Every truck reacts to mods differently.

Nowwhat said:
don't bother with the dyno...you will feel a huge difference...much more than a dyno will show...
I would like to get a baseline of what my truck has. I know that I need to take the results with a grain of salt but I am curious and want to see what it does. My truck feels strong now... I can't wait to see with the stage II does:rock: :rock: .

amtrucker22 said:
I would like to get a baseline of what my truck has. I know that I need to take the results with a grain of salt but I am curious and want to see what it does. My truck feels strong now... I can't wait to see with the stage II does:rock: :rock: .

fair enough....pay attention to the hp gain in the 4000rpm range....:rock:

FlyingLow said:
I have always heard that. I remember back in the day before the flashes when people would complain about how the trucks felt sluggish. Then after a certain mileage their truck would wake up. I think it could be the same thing here. Adding a mod such as an CAI changes the airflow. I would think the PCM would need to see the change in airflow and adjust accordingly. I would also guess that it is a slow change so it know that it is a permanent change and not just a momentary difference in airflow (Or what ever the mod is. I just used the intake as an example). But this is just my opinion as I have no solid proof one way or the other. I figure it can't hurt so try it. Every truck reacts to mods differently.

Yeah that's what I always was told and kinda thought too.?? My truck seemed to get a better kick to it a few weeks after the Supercharger install,, the first few days i was kinda disapointed but now it seems to be getting a bit better.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back