Dyno Fun Last Night

Prof

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long short story:

I have joined the student car club at the college where I teach. The faculty adviser that has been with the club for several years is a Ford advocate. He was a little dismayed and surprised that a faculty member joined the club. I have tried to help the students as much as possible while making sure that I did not get in the hair of the current adviser. I took my Volvo to one evening of repair activity, and one night we were discussing some winter activities and someone asked every one what kind of vehicles they had...I mentioned the Volvo and that I had a Dodge Truck, another Dodge owner asked "is it a Hemi?"

I said no.:)

One other student said it was probably an SRT 10 and everyone laughed...I said: "Yes".:burnout:

Well that started a lot of whooping and hollering...and the adviser asked what horsepower it had and I said "620" and he said at the crank? I said "no".:mad:

Well he was not impressed. So last night they had a dyno night ($10 a run to raise funds for the club, we have a Mustang Dyno).

I still felt that the adviser thought I was throwing BS all over the floor about the power of the truck. The kids learned how to strap a vehicle down, set up max cooling, and the concept of how to dyno a vehicle with my truck as the test vehicle.

Well when we ran the truck I could see the adviser physically recoil :p :p as I ran the truck out in 4th gear...then he wanted to do it one more time:rock: ...we did it again...and he was just shaking his head in disbelief...

The numbers were very low because we ran out of dyno...he had set the parameters too low and grossly underestimated the truck.

The max he could read was 500 rwhp at 4280 rpm...and the spike was going nearly vertical as it passed through the 500 hp line...since we had lots of kids that were waiting to run their vehicles we didn't run it again...but the adviser did announce to the class that a new horsepower record now existed. And while the dyno stopped reading at 500, it appeared that the SRT 10 with the Roe TMTS obviously was headed toward 650 rwhp at about 5800 rpm.:rock:

I loved it...:D :D :D

To be clear, my truck has dyno numbers of 620 hp and 639 tq. That was over a year ago...since then...new Roe TB, (plus 10?) different injectors (plus 8?) new VEC III cards by Sean (plus 15?) Roy a year older (minus 10?)...

So I think I am probably at 630 or so...but I will accept the advisers estimate of 650 gladly...!

We have a few more believers in SRT 10's this morning...including one auto mechanics instructor. ;) ;) ;)

That sounded like a blast. I would have paid money to see the look on his face while you were throwing it down on the dyno

i'm not that surprized... got visit from a vette forum friend from Pasadena, 53 years old ... he never had seen a SRT10 ! :confused: :D

Great stuff Roy. My son has a pre-engineering teacher in the 11th grade and he takes them around the school showing them practical engineering applications in the real world such as a/c systems, wiring,plumbing, etc. It is good to see practical applications of different curriculums, I think it holds the students interest longer and shows them how to apply what they learn in real life.

mopower1958 said:
Great stuff Roy. My son has a pre-engineering teacher in the 11th grade and he takes them around the school showing them practical engineering applications in the real world such as a/c systems, wiring,plumbing, etc. It is good to see practical applications of different curriculums, I think it holds the students interest longer and shows them how to apply what they learn in real life.

Just being around these young people keeps me young. Our future is in good hands. The youth of today have it together and while young and just learning, I have great confidence in their ability to do better than we have done.

I prefer to believe that his perspective on the world of powerful street machines has just been broadened a little...

Now the question is, will he have his students remove my headers "for practical experience" so I can have them sent off to be Jet Hot Coated????

Good story Prof, I guess the advisor did'nt want to mess with you after he found out that 'The Proof is in the Pudding" :rock: :rock: :rock: :D

Last edited:
Gawd Roy I wanna take your Truck for a beat,, errr Drive,,, so bad!!!:burnout: :burnout: :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back