E85

redram10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there run a e85 tune on there 10 I ran e85 in my 04 cobra and made big power over 93 gas good for 60 hp gain jw how to v10 likes e85

:dontknow:Hoses seals etc would have to be replace to handle the extra ethanol in the e85.....i think the e85 is something like 95-100 octane witch would be a plus!!:dontknow::D

:dontknow:Hoses seals etc would have to be replace to handle the extra ethanol in the e85.....i think the e85 is something like 95-100 octane witch would be a plus!!:dontknow::D

While it's true that E85 is higher octane, it doesn't necessarily allow an engine to build more power. This guy explains it well:

"Performance and efficiency are not the same thing. Gasoline is more energy dense than ethanol. Burning a gallon of gasoline produces more heat than burning a gallon of ethanol.

Octane is a different issue. The octane rating of a fuel is basically a measure of its resistance to ignition under compression. A gasoline engine is designed for the fuel in the cylinder to ignite only when the spark plug fires, not when the fuel-air mixture's temperature rises due to compression in the cylinder. (Diesel engines do not have spark plugs; ignition is initiated by compression, so diesel and gasoline engines have entirely different fuel requirements.) This is a pain for designers, because gasoline engines could be more efficient if the compression ratio were higher. Performance cars sometimes require premium gasoline, because they have higher compression ratios. Fuel that ignites too soon decreases efficiency and increases engine wear.

So, ethanol as a motor fuel would allow higher compression ratios and probably higher operating temperature of the engine, both of which would improve efficiency and performance. The engine would need to burn more ethanol than gasoline (or burn it a faster rate) to produce the same power, and it would not go as far on a tankful of gas (or E85)."

Also, during Drag Week, many of the competitors where fule choices were limited to an ethanol blend and low octane unleaded. All of the racers, including the maga horsepower guys, choose to run the straight unleaded.

:dontknow::Dyeah i understand the whole octane thing....i think its funny people think a higher octane fuel burns hotter and or provides better performance.....the higher the octane the more compression it can take before dettonation....i was just sayn it would be a plus being the v10 requires high octane fuel...also e85 stays at about 300 a gallon around here vs 4 plus i seen this summer!!!...ive seen a few articles on the e85 conversion- one was a carb'd smallblock and after proper tuning they were able to go up 3 jet sizes and advance timing a ton for about 45 extra ponnies (dyno proven)....the other i recall was an ls based build with fast efi and the got an extra 30 to40 without even letting the efi learn the tune.....cant seem to find anyone running e85 in a viper motor???:dontknow:...

Last edited:
.i was just sayn it would be a plus being the v10 requires high octane fuel...also e85 stays at about 300 a gallon around here vs 4 plus i seen this summer!!!
We've got a couple E85 stations here. I'll have to pay attention to prices next time I drive buy. Premium here is about $3.60 per gallon.

well my understanding it burns cooler so u can turn the timming up and make more power in a nut shell thats what the guys at hpp did for my car it was at 580 wrhp on 93 and e85 it made 640 rwhp

no just in my cobra i was just wondering if anyone did and how aggressive you can tune one up would like to do it just wanted to see if anyone has done it if its worth doing or not....

You guys can buy 93 or 94 octane at the pump?

Many Sunoco stations around here have 94 at one pump, some even have 100 octane but they are few and far between.

torrie hooked me up with a 94 octane tune and its bad as hell!!!
That tune is the same as a 93 octane tune. No offense.

Many Sunoco stations around here have 94 at one pump, some even have 100 octane but they are few and far between.
I would love to see a dyno test of a stock truck running several different octane levels.

I would love to see a dyno test of a stock truck running several different octane levels.

That would be neat to see the changes in hp and tq based on octane rating only.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back