Electronics Experts

mopar_mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I know their are some smart people here so I thought I would ask. I need to take the power from a standard 12v turn signal wire (flashing) into a constant 12v power. I was thinking something like a relay that has a delayed off setting, so that before the relay is ready to kill the 12v out power it is hit with another 12v input from the blinker that would reset the delay clock. I need the blinker power to pass through uninterupted so the blinker works and then have the 12v out to trigger another device.

I'm pretty good at this stuff... but not quite sure what the heck your trying to do.

I have a back-up camera that need to be triggered on with the blinker. Of course the trigger needs to be a constant 12v power, but the blinker wire is a blinking on/off 12v power. So I need to turn that on/off power into a constant 12v power while the blinker is on. In the good old days you would just grab power before the blinker relay to do this, can't be done that way on new stuff when their is no blinker relay. clear as mud?

Why are your triggering the camera off the blinker? Why not the reverse light?

What kind of car/truck?

you need a relay with a latch - unlatch feature ,,once you power up relay it wont shutdown till you send a second 12v power source to it ,,,then you can run a constant 12v line on the secondary contacts to power up camera ;)

you need a relay with a latch - unlatch feature ,,once you power up relay it wont shutdown till you send a second 12v power source to it ,,,then you can run a constant 12v line on the secondary contacts to power up camera ;)

You're scaring me :eek: - here I thought you was jist an ol Texas redneck that didn't know shit from shinola LOL ;);):p

Happy New year :rock:

And where is the second source going to come from telling to to shut off when the blinker shuts off?

ah, yea, why not just get the 12V before it hits the flasher? The voltage before the flasher relay is solid, it my be a ground though. If it is, then a simple 12V relay can be used to reverse the voltage.

Un less your looking to get the power from the rear. Then you could run 2 14AWG wires to th fuse box, and tap dat voltage.

I did buy a circuit broad thats a "timer". basically,,

12V applied to a lead.
a set time in seconds (1~90seconds user adjustable) starts counting down.
then turns back on or off the load.

I got it for drag racing. I use it to disengage all un needed electrical loads during a pass( Alt.,Air, Fans, Ect..) , then after a set time (35sec) it turns it all back on. no driver error.

This is for a trailer?

Then, why not run 12V solid from before the factory flasher unit. Then tap dat 12V's for your corner cam's.

Then add a "blinker" before each turn light, hard wire it in the light holder.

What about tapping into the blinker power source before the flasher?

And where is the second source going to come from telling to to shut off when the blinker shuts off?

just run a toggle switch with the seperate 12 sorce ,,when you want it off flip toggle ,,,that way you can run camera as long as you want

just run a toggle switch with the seperate 12 sorce ,,when you want it off flip toggle ,,,that way you can run camera as long as you want

IF thats the case, why not just run the camera from the switch?

As I said in my 3rd post their hasn't been a flasher relay in a Dodge truck since 2004 I think, it is all computer now. That was my original plan to grab power before the flasher but it just isn't possible any more.

I already have the ability to switch between cameras with a botton on the TV screen. I just want to automate the process a little better so I don't have to try and hit buttons all the time. Left blinker would turn on Left camera and Right turns on the Right.

Got anther idea from someone that just might work that I hadn't thought of. Using a capacitor before the relay to keep it open between blinks, just have to come up with the correct size capacitor.

Actually I wouldn't even need the relay come to think of it. Just a one way diode and a capacitor between the blinker wire and the camera trigger, getting easier all the time.

Last edited:
I was thinking that as well, not sure on the size of the cap either. Let me know if it works

It will be spring now before I mess with it again, zero degrees and the camper is all covred up so not a good time to go work out side. Just figured I would get some idea figured out before spring rolls around. I will have to get some diffrent size capasitors and see what I can do.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back