Engine bay detailing advise

Front Runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine bay detailing advice

I'm currently in the slow process of detailing my entire engine bay. I'm slowly detailing it bit by bit, piece by piece. I'm not looking to add any aftermarket accessories or mods, but would rather thoroughly clean all of the stock items. I'm not a huge mod person and really don't wanna add anything else. I'm cool with updating some of the stock items though.

The thorn in my side right now if the hood liner. It looks like crap. It's dusty and sagging. Can I remove it and wash with soap and water to remove the dust or will it mess it up? What can I do to keep it from sagging? Any ideas will be appreciated.

This pic shows what it looks like now after I've started cleaning:

DSC02185_zpsb067a93a.jpg

Hood liner:

DSC02154_zps8610863c.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, first take off the insulation piece off the the wiper cowl, save the plastic push pins and clean and shine the plastic underneath and put the pins back I to the holes, makes a huge appearance difference. As for the sagging hood stuff, remove it carefully and try to save all the pins for reinstall. Lay it on the ground and brush off all loose dirt/dust. What I did was black krylon fusion spray paint and put on multiple light coats as it will absorb some, let dry and reinstall. As for the sagging I drilled, carefully, 2 holes in the areas where it sags and got two more push pins and all has been good. Any questions let me know, if you don't like the way it comes out you could always buy a new one from the dealer but still put the two extra holes.

Just remove the hoodliner, clean underneath it, and just keep it off. Really cleans up the look under hood. You can also remove the strip on the cowl area as well.

I've never had any issues with excess cab heat or paint issues.

Also simple green on the intake manifold works very well and I use meguires quick detailer on everything else under hood.

Ok, first take off the insulation piece off the the wiper cowl, save the plastic push pins and clean and shine the plastic underneath and put the pins back I to the holes, makes a huge appearance difference. As for the sagging hood stuff, remove it carefully and try to save all the pins for reinstall. Lay it on the ground and brush off all loose dirt/dust. What I did was black krylon fusion spray paint and put on multiple light coats as it will absorb some, let dry and reinstall. As for the sagging I drilled, carefully, 2 holes in the areas where it sags and got two more push pins and all has been good. Any questions let me know, if you don't like the way it comes out you could always buy a new one from the dealer but still put the two extra holes.

Just remove the hoodliner, clean underneath it, and just keep it off. Really cleans up the look under hood. You can also remove the strip on the cowl area as well.

I've never had any issues with excess cab heat or paint issues.

Also simple green on the intake manifold works very well and I use meguires quick detailer on everything else under hood.

Thanks for quick responses and the advice, gentlemen. I would like to keep the liner on but I'm glad to know that I can just remove it altogether if need be.

Last edited:
Thanks for quick responses and the advice, gentlemen. I would like to keep the liner on but I'm glad to know that I can just remove it altogether if need be.

There are a few guys who have gone a couple steps further and have painted the "Viper Powered" on the hood liner. Takes some time, but it looks fantastic.

Completely remove the spare battery tray. It really opens up the engine bay.

On passenger side , you can get longer heater hose and run it under PCM and air intake . Then your a/c if u got anyone who can fabricate you line do sand thing then they are out of the way . And a liner under a hood , someone hale a polished one take a look around . JMB got cover for a top of a rad and billet theologians got caps for oil rad power stearing . And you can do braided lines for power stearing and oil cooler too .

A picture is worth a Thousand words ........ Post it up Hawk.

IMG_1507sss_zpsd54158de.jpg

Jim

Will do this afternoon Jim, and thanks for the compliment bud, you were there at the beginning of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

used armor all on mine and It looked very good like new but I have a low mile truck and it wasn't all that bad to start with

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back