Engine block stamp pad questions?

tommyg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found two pads on the passenger side of the block, and one seems to be unstamped, and the other is cryptic to me.
Can I get some help decoding the numbers?
Thanks.

Attachments

• SRT serial # 001.jpg
    SRT serial # 001.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,268
  • SRT serial # 003.jpg
    SRT serial # 003.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,924
i think its sayin.....

'05 V 8.3/ A?
serial number?

I read it as 05 V block 8.3 LA
LA is the type class engine. Light Aluminum.
I could be wrong.

I read it as 05 V block 8.3 LA
LA is the type class engine. Light Aluminum.
I could be wrong.

that makes way more sense. old school "A" block thinkin, lol:(:D

"LA" was an engine type, the 318 and 360 are example of LA Blocks.

The Dodge Truck V10 was (is) based off the 360ci LA Engine. Dodge needed more power, it was cheaper to modify a current engine, then to design and build a new model.

Dodge took the current 360 LA engine and added 2 cylinders.

The V10 was designed as a torque truck engine. only later was it modified for a concept car, known as the Viper.

The Viper Concept was a great smash. Dodge got the concept car into production in record time.

It's quite common for people to think the V10 was a performance engine first, when in actuality it was a hard working truck engine first.

The LA engine design goes back 40 years, released in the early 70's.

I knew it was a truck engine, but didnt know it came from the 360, but maybe it means 8.3Liter, and then /A?
I was hoping the other numbers would include part of my VIN so it could be matched with the truck, but no such luck.
Are there any other stamp locations on the block...maybe up top?

I also noticed on my tranny that it has a label stating "new process gears"
I've heard that term used back in the 70's, so I wonder what it refers to.

is that pad with the hand engraved numbers at the rear of the passenger side deck?
If so it might be hard to get to!

You should have two separate numbers stamped on your block. From the 05 service manual:

Engine Serial Number
This number (2) is located on the lower right front of
the cylinder block near the oil pressure sensor.

Vehicle Identification Number
This number (1) is located on the rear of the cylinder
block just below the right cylinder head.

Your first picture, I would say. is the block serial number. I can't explain why the first picture shows no engravings. Perhaps, was the engine replaced? I know a fellow member here who had his engine replaced by a local dealer, under warranty, through Arrow Racing. I believe his new block lost the VIN coding due to its replacement, which meant his truck wasn't "numbers matching".

thanks, thats very helpful
the vin number pad with the hand engraved #s is probably not easy to see without a remote cam then.
The pad on the lower right side with nothing on it had a barcode type label on it which must have fallen off. In my research of this I saw pictures of that label on other trucks.
And since its actually a glued on label I dont guess its that important. Probably just a part number

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back