engine dissasembly

AWDisuzu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent a couple hours taking apart Brad's motor. Enjoy the pics!

~mike~

srt-10-026.jpg

srt-10-027.jpg

srt-10-029.jpg

srt-10-030.jpg

srt-10-034.jpg

srt-10-036.jpg

srt-10-037.jpg

srt-10-038.jpg

srt-10-042.jpg

srt-10-043.jpg

srt-10-045.jpg

srt-10-047.jpg

srt-10-048.jpg

srt-10-050.jpg

srt-10-051.jpg

srt-10-053.jpg

srt-10-056.jpg

srt-10-060.jpg

srt-10-061.jpg

srt-10-062.jpg

srt-10-063.jpg

srt-10-066.jpg

srt-10-069.jpg

Why can't I zoom in or Mikes pictures but am able to do so on Stinkers?

What is the difference between the different posts?

Is there a Geek around that can tell me how to post so people can zoom in on pictures?

Great pics, very obvious cracks! But needed a little more commentary to help me learn.

Last edited:
Prof said:

Is there a Geek around that can tell me how to post so people can zoom in on pictures?

Great pics, very obvious cracks! But needed a little more commentary to help me learn.

Those cracks are the rod caps, the rods are made that way ( they are broken off ), thus cracked cap rods. A cheaper way to make rods than machining the rod caps :marchmellow: :marchmellow: :marchmellow: :D

The cracks I am worried about are the ones in this picture at the left and right in the block...maybe they are not cracks???

srt-10-063.jpg

those are not cracks, those are casting marks. all of that shit will be removed. actual cracks do start at the casting marks, or any rough areas. the inside of the block will be basically polished.

the cracked rod caps kinda freaked me out. also, the rod bearings have tabs on them so they can only fit one way. Dodge in their infinite wisdom decided to put the bearing ends with tabs next to each other instead of opposite each other. Sooo, it's really easy to spin a rod bearing. And seeing as how the caps are broken off instead of machined, one can't easily put the caps on backwards to remedy the problem. Thankfully the "built" motor will have custom rods!

I posted links to my actual pictures, so they are already fully zoomed. I have the full sized versions but they would take too long to download. I can post the big ones if you're interested.

~mike~

Prof said:

Thanks Mike...those casting marks scared the shit out of me...I spent 20 minutes trying to get a closer look...glad that you let me know they are casting marks...I was getting ready to call my builder and ask how that could have happened at both ends of the block inside each main bearing...my mind was bending in strange ways trying to think of why!

Keep the pictures coming...they are really interesting.

Roy

PS...Brad's motor was normally aspirated was it not? Are you going to do your magic NOS stuff?

AWDisuzu said:
those are not cracks, those are casting marks. all of that shit will be removed. actual cracks do start at the casting marks, or any rough areas. the inside of the block will be basically polished.

the cracked rod caps kinda freaked me out. also, the rod bearings have tabs on them so they can only fit one way. Dodge in their infinite wisdom decided to put the bearing ends with tabs next to each other instead of opposite each other. Sooo, it's really easy to spin a rod bearing. And seeing as how the caps are broken off instead of machined, one can't easily put the caps on backwards to remedy the problem. Thankfully the "built" motor will have custom rods!

Pining the bearings (mains in particular and rods) will help to stop the bearings
from spinning, might want to add a little clearance on the crank and more side clearance on the rods also.:D ;) :marchmellow: :rock:

Wifey said:
Those cracks are the rod caps, the rods are made that way ( they are broken off ), thus cracked cap rods. A cheaper way to make rods than machining the rod caps :marchmellow: :marchmellow: :marchmellow: :D
So are sock rods are cast? why would you put cast rods in a High Performance motor? cheap bastards. Same question as Prof was this an N/A?

Vipers had forged rods for a few years, until 1999 I believe. But have gone back to cast rods since.

One thing I am trying to get some info on is: it seems there is a new set of rod and main bearings in the Gen IV engine. My builder put them in my engine when we forged it this past spring...to date I have not found out what the specific difference is, but it might be worth looking into.

DevilDawg3097 said:
So are sock rods are cast? why would you put cast rods in a High Performance motor? cheap bastards. Same question as Prof was this an N/A?

Not cast, made from sintered/powdered steel that is beat together to form the rod. The cracked rod cap thing has been around for decades ( most commonly used in small/ cheap engines ( homlite chain saws are a good example, they were doing this back in the 60's/70's) now it is just to cut costs:( :( :(

Prof said:
Vipers had forged rods for a few years, until 1999 I believe. But have gone back to cast rods since.

One thing I am trying to get some info on is: it seems there is a new set of rod and main bearings in the Gen IV engine. My builder put them in my engine when we forged it this past spring...to date I have not found out what the specific difference is, but it might be worth looking into.

SO then the gen IV is just a all forged version of the Gen III. or just the rod and bearing specs the same? but your right that is something to look into. I will be all over that on monday I will make a couple of calls and let you guys know, If Prof doesn't beat me to the Punch.

Prof said:

I think they are Gooved, Coated with Teflon, and possibley another oiling hole. In the old days before grooved bearings , some used to cross drill and slighly groove the crank

Last edited:
Wifey said:
Not cast, made from sintered/powdered steel that is beat together to form the rod. The cracked rod cap thing has been around for decades ( most commonly used in small/ cheap engines ( homlite chain saws are a good example, they were doing this back in the 60's/70's) now it is just to cut costs:( :( :(

That still doesn't justify them (CHRYSLER) in way deceiving us with all the hype and then chince on production, we are still paying for there F*&* Ups.
Anyone thought of a class action suit, at least to pay for all of us who still have them to upgrade to what should have been done in the first place.

Here is a thought, you figure 3000 trucks right that would come out to 30,000 pistons and rods, and they couldn't get a better deal with that quantity. BS
anyone up for class action? Any lawyers on here think we have something?
Considering the amount of blown motors even without any HP upgrades.

DevilDawg3097 said:
That still doesn't justify them (CHRYSLER) in way deceiving us with all the hype and then chince on production, we are still paying for there F*&* Ups.
Anyone thought of a class action suit, at least to pay for all of us who still have them to upgrade to what should have been done in the first place.

Here is a thought, you figure 3000 trucks right that would come out to 30,000 pistons and rods, and they couldn't get a better deal with that quantity. BS
anyone up for class action? Any lawyers on here think we have something?
Considering the amount of blown motors even without any HP upgrades.

It is the manufacturers way of making sure you do not race/ mod the engine as they will go boom and bye bye warranty for abusing the poor little engine;)

Wifey said:
It is the manufacturers way of making sure you do not race/ mod the engine as they will go boom and bye bye warranty for abusing the poor little engine;)
I figured that but then how can you advertise it as a racing vehicle an not expect people to run them, these arn't yugos these are suppossed to be HP,
vehicles. I am still gonna check into this. I have seen other companies get sued for false advertisement for lesser things. Time for the big guy to pay back all they have taken from us the little guy and consumer. Said realization for me:(
been a mopar geek my whole life and chrysler has made me come to the sad realization of goin back to shitting on the customer like they did in the 80's. VIVA THE SRT 10 REVOLUTION :rock: :rock: :rock:

DevilDawg3097 said:
Its easy to design some thing thats indestructible.
Good engineering is all about designing something for a cost that will last for a specific time interval. These engines in stock form WILL last for the warranty period. Any power adders will push them past the FOS they wer designed for. Thats what good engineering is all about.

Last edited:
DevilDawg3097 said:
I figured that but then how can you advertise it as a racing vehicle an not expect people to run them, these arn't yugos these are suppossed to be HP,
vehicles. I am still gonna check into this. I have seen other companies get sued for false advertisement for lesser things. Time for the big guy to pay back all they have taken from us the little guy and consumer. Said realization for me:(
been a mopar geek my whole life and chrysler has made me come to the sad realization of goin back to shitting on the customer like they did in the 80's. VIVA THE SRT 10 REVOLUTION :rock: :rock: :rock:

I do not remember them advertising the trucks as " race trucks", just being equipped with SRT ,
"Street Racing Technology":( :(

Wifey said:
I do not remember them advertising the trucks as " race trucks", just being equipped with SRT ,
"Street Racing Technology":( :(

Oh contrier monfre they advertised it as the worlds fastest truck GUINESS s/p BOOK OF WORLD RECORDS. 1mile world record holder until the ute (aint a truck its an el camino). Shit I knew I should of just stuck with the Hemi's they don't blow up. How do claim it to be the fastest production truck in the world and then say fuck off when you actually do what they said it can do.

nycstev said:
Its easy to design some thing thats indestructible.
Good engineering is all about designing something for a cost that will last for a specific time interval. These engines in stock form WILL last for the warranty period. Any power adders will push them past the FOS they wer designed for. Thats what good engineering is all about.

Oh beleive me I would like to get my hands on some of these retarded engineers, Just cause it looks good on paper and computers doesn't always means it will work in real life. assholes:argh: :argh:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back