Engine knock..Detonation?

Prof said:
If it pings something is wrong...get it to a good tuner...do not push the engine until it is tuned by a reputable tuner. If you start to have blow by...you may have already done some damage...before it is tuned I would recommend a leak down and compression test.

If you can get a scope check the tops of the pistons for signs of detonation (looks like a diamond mine) also check the plugs for residue (chaulk like powder).

Detonation is the beginning of the end.

Hope you caught it soon enough.
Damn Roy, now you got me worried.

ILtemprd said:
Just like a Pino..give them something for free and they bitch about it.:p :D
Hey whos bitchin! Im just worried, i dont want to blow up my shit here.:(

ILtemprd said:
Programmed for a red truck.:dontknow: :burnout:
Yeah it was cause they need it to be able to compete with stock black ones!:D :burnout:

I want to thank everyone for helping me out with this!:rock: T-stat is next!

I am waiting for the Failure report, but watch that knock. Mine had pistone come undone and exploded into the engine and it took out almost everything

Big Worm said:
I am waiting for the Failure report, but watch that knock. Mine had pistone come undone and exploded into the engine and it took out almost everything
Damn...i didnt know that. Well mine is not really knocking. (knoking on wood)
Its more like a ping. I just purchased a 170 t-stat and will be installing it a little later. Will report back with findings!

Lots of evidence that these engines can not handle pre-detonation. In 05 Dodge added knock sensor as added security. Pinging is detonation!

Chuck B said:
Lots of evidence that these engines can not handle pre-detonation. In 05 Dodge added knock sensor as added security. Pinging is detonation!
Mine is an 05 so if it is knoking should i see a light come on?

No, the sensor simply tells the ECU which then backs off timing. Your tune may have disable this sensor or the sensor is working but the required decrease in timing is beyond the adjustment ability of the ECU program. If I recall correctly the stage II programs advance timing quite a bit.

Same thing occurs when water temps get too high. I can always tell when water temps rise enough to cause the ECU to back off timing.

Chuck B said:
No, the sensor simply tells the ECU which then backs off timing. Your tune may have disable this sensor or the sensor is working but the required decrease in timing is beyond the adjustment ability of the ECU program. If I recall correctly the stage II programs advance timing quite a bit.

Same thing occurs when water temps get too high. I can always tell when water temps rise enough to cause the ECU to back off timing.
I think you got it there! I really start to notice it when water temp is at 200 or above!

Chuck B said:

Roger that! Over!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back