Engine knock..Detonation?

SRT-IZ

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So heres the scoop. I got Sawn's B & G stage II from his truck before he betrayed us:p . The PCM was tuned for his truck which had Volant and Magnaflow. It seemed to be running good and from all of the times that i rode in his truck i never herd anything. I have a K & N drop in and Magnaflow. I didnt think that it would make that much diference so i just threw it in. Now that i have installed it in my truck i hear the engine knoking/detonating every time im close to WOT or full WOT. Almost seems like if i had put in crappy gas or something. It has been in there for about 4 fill-ups now so i dont think its the gas.

Do you guys think that the cause for it doing this is not having enough air or does it need more octane?

Thanks!

SRT-IZ said:
So heres the scoop. I got Sawn's B & G stage II from his truck before he betrayed us:p . The PCM was tuned for his truck which had Volant and Magnaflow. It seemed to be running good and from all of the times that i rode in his truck i never herd anything. I have a K & N drop in and Magnaflow. I didnt think that it would make that much diference so i just threw it in. Now that i have installed it in my truck i hear the engine knoking/detonating every time im close to WOT or full WOT. Almost seems like if i had put in crappy gas or something. It has been in there for about 4 fill-ups now so i dont think its the gas.

Do you guys think that the cause for it doing this is not having enough air or does it need more octane?

Thanks!

Don't drive the truck if it is pinging. Find out WHY it is....
Are you filling up at the same station? If so, try another one...

rottenronnie said:
Don't drive the truck if it is pinging. Find out WHY it is....
Are you filling up at the same station? If so, try another one...
If i drive normal it runs fine. I tried eifferent gas stations. I should of mentioned above that i also tired 3 gal. of 100 octane mixed with about 7 gal of 91 octane. I noticed an increase in power but it still pinged. I was a little disapointed cause i didnt enjoy it. Had to drive normal. This is my dd so i need it to drive to work and back.

Did you have the computer reflashed for your truck,the compters have to be reflashed with your vin number..

Go back to post # 2 and read it again.............other than that do you still have the stock PCM?..if so just switch em out and call Dave at B&G and tell him the problem...he can reflash it..

Brat said:
Did you have the computer reflashed for your truck,the compters have to be reflashed with your vin number..

Brat's right, you have to have your VIN flashed or you will experience problems

I sent it to DC for the VIN flash. I also noticed that when the truck is cold it does not ping. I have the stock t-stat in it now. Could that be the problem? I am planing on intalling a 170 t-stat soon.

SRT-IZ said:
I sent it to DC for the VIN flash. I also noticed that when the truck is cold it does not ping. I have the stock t-stat in it now. Could that be the problem? I am planing on intalling a 170 t-stat soon.
It could be,change out the t-stat,if you still have problems you have a bad pcm.

Brat said:
It could be,change out the t-stat,if you still have problems you have a bad pcm.
I sure hope not...I dont think it would be bad if it was working fine on Shawns truck.

SRT-IZ said:
I sure hope not...I dont think it would be bad if it was working fine on Shawns truck.
I sure hope not also,but sometimes things happen,if it was dropped on accident then some of the concters inside can come lose.change out your t-stat if you still have problems send it back to DC.

the vin will not make a difference how the truck runs. will only cause abs and brake light to come on.

Programmed for a red truck.:dontknow: :burnout:

TheSickness said:
Yours was half black...Just like me :p
Figured that was the reason for it halfway working worth a shit.:D

TheSickness said:
Feeling Froggy tonight :rock:
Just like a Pino..give them something for free and they bitch about it.:p :D

The stock t-stat is probably your problem making the truck run too hot for that tune.

If it pings something is wrong...get it to a good tuner...do not push the engine until it is tuned by a reputable tuner. If you start to have blow by...you may have already done some damage...before it is tuned I would recommend a leak down and compression test.

If you can get a scope check the tops of the pistons for signs of detonation (looks like a diamond mine) also check the plugs for residue (chaulk like powder).

Detonation is the beginning of the end.

Hope you caught it soon enough.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back