Engine Light On!

IH8CHVYS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Friday morning i was bored so i figured i would cut the front cats apart and gut them! Everything went well with the project and was happy with the results,but when i reassembled everything i failed to tighten one of the sensors properly and after about 50 miles of driving my engine light came on, crawled underneath and properly tightened everything thinking my light would go out but it doesn't, can this be reset or something?

takes 3 good trips of driving. figure a day or two...or disconnect your battery for a couple of minutes.

Thats an easy fix,Thanks
Can't really help myself here but noticed your avatar, HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!(Sorry)

...or, a 5-star dealer can pop it on one of their computers and check to see what's causing the problem.

Well i am almost positive it was because one of the sensors was not properly tightened, makes sense anyways.

IH8CHVYS said:
Friday morning i was bored so i figured i would cut the front cats apart and gut them! Everything went well with the project and was happy with the results,but when i reassembled everything i failed to tighten one of the sensors properly and after about 50 miles of driving my engine light came on, crawled underneath and properly tightened everything thinking my light would go out but it doesn't, can this be reset or something?
I'm not positive, But i think it should reset after 4 or 5 starts. Not sure but i think it has been posted before. Someone will jump in soon i hope, And let you know for sure.

j.R.

Not really a big motorhead but after tearing these apart and seeing whats inside,completly stuffed right full of ceramics! Gotta help to get that out!

IH8CHVYS said:
Not really a big motorhead but after tearing these apart and seeing whats inside,completly stuffed right full of ceramics! Gotta help to get that out!
I am not a motorhead by any means, And honestly don't know sheite about this. I do like driving mine though. And i learn new stuff about these trucks on the VTCOA all the time. These guy's are great.

J.R.

if you switch your ignition on and off 3 times quickly, you'll bring up the code and then you can decipher it here on the forum, i think its a sticky here somewhere, also disconnect neg. battery cable for a few minutes and that will reset comp. good luck!

or you can buy a reader, even at Walmart.

IH8CHVYS said:
Thats an easy fix,Thanks
Can't really help myself here but noticed your avatar, HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!(Sorry)
Well, we had to lose at some point, better now than in the post season. were in the playoffs and on our way to homefield advantage. what more could I want.

IH8CHVYS said:
OK the codes i am getting are P0420 and P0432?

P0420 code (Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold: Bank 1)
http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/generic/p0420-catalyst-efficiency-below-threshold-bank-1.php
Basically this means that the oxygen sensor downstream (after) the catalytic converter on bank 1 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.

P0432 (M) 1/2 Catalytic Converter Efficiency Catalyst 2/1 efficiency below required level.

Well i unhooked the negative battery terminal took it for a test drive and everything seems to be fine! Thanks for the help!

IH8CHVYS said:
Well i unhooked the negative battery terminal took it for a test drive and everything seems to be fine! Thanks for the help!

If you gutted the cats those codes will come back, you will probably need sims.

IH8CHVYS said:

the light will come back on in 3 drive cycles. Your gonna have to get the o2 sims to keep it from coming on. Some folks here have been using an mechanical type that seems to work for like $25.

So you also had ceramic in your front cats? and you have an 04 also..?

Same with my 05..ceramic in front , restrictive stainless mesh in rear...

-Red

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back