ENGINE SPECS

there is plenty of room between coils ,,i cant see how it would coil bind there so much room :D

now next question is,, what is the final lift on valve ,,,i have my valve covers off to get redone so i was planning on checking to see if i am getting full lift off cam ,,,i was thinking of using a dial indicator on rocker arm to see if i get the lift i should,,

next what is lift differance between a 1.6 compared to a 1.7 rocker

Ironhead said:
there is plenty of room between coils ,,i cant see how it would coil bind there so much room :D

now next question is,, what is the final lift on valve ,,,i have my valve covers off to get redone so i was planning on checking to see if i am getting full lift off cam ,,,i was thinking of using a dial indicator on rocker arm to see if i get the lift i should,,

next what is lift differance between a 1.6 compared to a 1.7 rocker

The stock cam's lobe lift is .320" now multiply that by 1.7 (rocker ratio) and you get .544" net lift at the valve. If you were using a 1.6 ratio rocker, it would drop to .512" at the valve because .320" x 1.6 = .512"

The stock hydraulic roller lifters are a high bleed down design so you will likely see a bit of a "loss" of total lift at the valve especially if the engine is cold and/or hasn't been started for a while. If the engine was running up to speed and the lifters were fully pumped up with oil, the net lift should be as advertised.
Note- A solid lifter engine shouldn't change in this area and you could check it at any time, but hydraulic lifters can change.

Like anything else mass produced, there are variances up and down.

Ronnie

Last edited:
rottenronnie said:
The stock cam's lobe lift is .320" now multiply that by 1.7 (rocker ratio) and you get .544" net lift at the valve. If you were using a 1.6 ratio rocker, it would drop to .512" at the valve because .320" x 1.6 = .512"

The stock hydraulic roller lifters are a high bleed down design so you will likely see a bit of a "loss" of total lift at the valve especially if the engine is cold and/or hasn't been started for a while. If the engine was running up to speed and the lifters were fully pumped up with oil, the net lift should be as advertised. A solid lifter engine shouldn't change in this area and you could check it at any time.

Like anything else mass produced, there are variances up and down.

Ronnie

crapper ,,,whats the ol saying you cant see the forest through the trees !

ok lobes intake 0.330 exhaust .0335
using your math the 1.7 are were i missed it ,,
.330 x 1.7 =561 .335 x 1.7 = .569
cam specs say in .528 ex.536,,only way to hit that is with 1.6 rockers not 1.7 ,,

what you think ronnie,,if im close to being right im getting too much lift yes ??

Ironhead said:
crapper ,,,whats the ol saying you cant see the forest through the trees !

ok lobes intake 0.330 exhaust .0335
using your math the 1.7 are were i missed it ,,
.330 x 1.7 =561 .335 x 1.7 = .569
cam specs say in .528 ex.536,,only way to hit that is with 1.6 rockers not 1.7 ,,

what you think ronnie,,if im close to being right im getting too much lift yes ??

It looks like you would hit the advertised lift target with 1.6 rockers.
So right now, you have higher lift with the 1.7s and more lift right now might be helping if you have ported heads.
Are they ported or stock? I'm not sure what you have done for mods...If they are ported, they might be taking advantage of the higher lift. If they are stock and you have lots of coil clearance, the higher lift really won't be hurting or really doing much of anything.
Again, I don't know your mods so I don't know the numbers...

Ronnie

Last edited:
rottenronnie said:
It looks like you would hit the advertised lift target with 1.6 rockers. So right now, you have higher lift with the 1.7s. The lift might be helping. At what lift do your heads stop increasing flow?:dontknow:

im wondering if this is whats causing the rich mix at high rpms ,,,,i think when i get valve covers back i will go with the 1.6 ,,comp rockers ,,they are roller rockers ,,,arent they a tad quiter than the stock ones also ??

Last edited:
Ironhead said:
im wondering if this is whats causing the rich mix at high rpms ,,,,i think when i get valve covers back i will go with the 1.6 ,,comp rockers ,,they are roller rockers too so should help with deflection

Roller rockers will give you some free power.
As for the smoking, there may be a bit of fuel falling out of suspension. It is tough to tell from here... :D

Gotta go..

Hope this helped ya out a bit. I will be back online late tonight..

Ronnie

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back