English Please

OCBob

VIPER POWERED
Reaction score
In a first of it's kind move the Lady's Professional Golf Association will require all players to have to speak english.

Not fluently, but enough to conduct media interviews, give victory speeches and interact with other golfers.

LPGA spokesmen say a player who doesn't meet those standards by next year will be suspended from the tour.

But, they will be given remedial help to get up to speaking speed.

These new regulations made for some interesting conversation in Hampton Roads.

"If you come to America to play golf, then you should be able to play golf. It shouldn't matter if you speak english good or not. I don't think that's fair at all," said Nicole Watson.

This year there are golfers from over twenty different countries other than the United States playing on the tour.

The tour stopped at King's Mill Golf Course in Williamsburg earlier this year.

OCBob said:
In a first of it's kind move the Lady's Professional Golf Association will require all players to have to speak english.

Not fluently, but enough to conduct media interviews, give victory speeches and interact with other golfers.

LPGA spokesmen say a player who doesn't meet those standards by next year will be suspended from the tour.

But, they will be given remedial help to get up to speaking speed.

These new regulations made for some interesting conversation in Hampton Roads.

"If you come to America to play golf, then you should be able to play golf. It shouldn't matter if you speak english good or not. I don't think that's fair at all," said Nicole Watson.

This year there are golfers from over twenty different countries other than the United States playing on the tour.

The tour stopped at King's Mill Golf Course in Williamsburg earlier this year.

Just a swag but do you think it might have been the sponsors that pushed that through?

That's probably exactly what happened.

I'm going to borrow what a friend of mine said about this, as I couldn't have said it better:

This should be our national standard. Look at the concept of so called bi-lingual schools. Yes knowing more than one language can be a good thing, and keeping a language an active part of your ethnic culture is respectable. But too often now the immigrants seem to feel we are expected to learn their language so we can understand what they want us to give them. Assimilate or go home.

Hahaha, now that I'm taking a Business English course, I will say English has some pretty screwed up stuff involved to do it properly. I had no idea it really mattered so much where you put your damned comma, colon or semicolon. :D ;)

Now I know why it's so hard to understand Django when he posts in "proper" english :p :p :eek: since alot of it sounds like Greek to me ;)

Living as a foreigner in someone else's country I have gained a measure of empathy for the plight of immigrants and visitors to our country. I speak Korean well enough and my wife has learned enough to get by but other Americans here don't even bother trying. They say it is too intimidating or too difficult. Some of these folks are the same ones who complained about having to push one for English and two for Spanish back home. Many of them have softened their positions now that the tables are turned. Were it not for street signs written in Korean and English and very kind, helpful English speaking Koreans, they would have trouble getting around on their own.

I have taught English to Koreans. It is extremely difficult on it's face value but even tougher when we add all the slang. And, we use idioms like crazy! (Try translating that directly into Korean and it makes absolutely no sense.) We just can't expect people to take a weekend and learn to speak our language. It's especially difficult for older people. Anyone who has studied languages can tell you that the wiring in our brains that lets us learn languages breaks down as we get older. Studies show that children can learn to speak without an accent up to puberty. After that they will usually have an accent of some sort.

Having said that, I am all for English to be our national standard and agree that it is in the best interest of everyone to learn it if they want to live in our culture. But, I feel that a little patience and understanding are in order too. I'm not saying we need to have bilingual ballots or school books but I haven no problems with English/Spanish street signs in Latino populated areas, for example.

It is always sobering to look at things from another perspective...it broadens the mind, and greatly improves the view.

Django said:
It's Guappo............

And I happen to be Sicilian, not Italian......... ;)

D

Guappo, Wappo, it's all in the nose anyway :p :p :p

yeah, Roy, it's Sicilian not Italian :D

Big Asp said:
Living as a foreigner in someone else's country I have gained a measure of empathy for the plight of immigrants and visitors to our country. I speak Korean well enough and my wife has learned enough to get by but other Americans here don't even bother trying. They say it is too intimidating or too difficult. Some of these folks are the same ones who complained about having to push one for English and two for Spanish back home. Many of them have softened their positions now that the tables are turned. Were it not for street signs written in Korean and English and very kind, helpful English speaking Koreans, they would have trouble getting around on their own.

I have taught English to Koreans. It is extremely difficult on it's face value but even tougher when we add all the slang. And, we use idioms like crazy! (Try translating that directly into Korean and it makes absolutely no sense.) We just can't expect people to take a weekend and learn to speak our language. It's especially difficult for older people. Anyone who has studied languages can tell you that the wiring in our brains that lets us learn languages breaks down as we get older. Studies show that children can learn to speak without an accent up to puberty. After that they will usually have an accent of some sort.

Having said that, I am all for English to be our national standard and agree that it is in the best interest of everyone to learn it if they want to live in our culture. But, I feel that a little patience and understanding are in order too. I'm not saying we need to have bilingual ballots or school books but I haven no problems with English/Spanish street signs in Latino populated areas, for example.

Heck if I learned enough Korean to get by ANYBODY should be able to.

I understand things have really changed over there in the last,33yrs since I was there, but other than the north with their BS I enjoyed being there.

I never have been able to tell one white guy from the next...

Prof said:
Its not Greek its Italian when he composes it.
It has to be Greek, Italians speak with there hands :D

Voodoo said:
It has to be Greek, Italians speak with there hands :D
Dammit, why didn't I think of that :D

Some even speak with their fingers ;) ;)

Prof said:
I never have been able to tell one white guy from the next...
Kinda like I can't tell a 1/2 Korean from the rest :rolleyes: :D :p

We could go on forever like this...but that chainsaw comment was enough for me. I ain't a fool, just stupid, old and scared.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back