Exhaust backfiring?

QueLocura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly does it mean when my exhaust backfires and pops when I let off the gas?? It does it quite a bit and sometimes backfires loud as hell like a gunshot going off. I just wanted to learn the science behind what's going on.
Is this good for my truck or does it not really matter??

These trucks don't have an even firing-order like V8's do... (Some of the more knowledgeable folks can chime in on that, I hope) That has something to do with the burble on deceleration. All the Viper V-10's do it. :)

I always gear down to decelerate, but it is not to hear that that delightful gurgle , its to save the brakes and avoid brake dust...that's my story and I am sticking with it.;) ;) ;)

The Viper engine uses a wastegate firing system and it also depends on the tune. It is caused by unburnt fuel entering the exhaust, which CAN be removed, but it causes other side effects if fuel is removed (cutting out on tip-in & light throttle, etc..). From a performance standpoint, having the fuel on the low vac fuel table is a good thing...

So its normal :)

-Red

RedSrt007 said:
The Viper engine uses a wastegate firing system and it also depends on the tune. It is caused by unburnt fuel entering the exhaust, which CAN be removed, but it causes other side effects if fuel is removed (cutting out on tip-in & light throttle, etc..). From a performance standpoint, having the fuel on the low vac fuel table is a good thing...

So its normal :)

-Red
For a second there I thought you meant it was bad until the last sentence...phew! :rock: :) So I can enjoy my farting srt-10 :D

Prof said:
I always gear down to decelerate, but it is not to hear that that delightful gurgle , its to save the brakes and avoid brake dust...that's my story and I am sticking with it.;) ;) ;)
I'm sure that's the real reason why. I'll use your story too though :dontknow: ;)

You should hear it with a Corsa Exhaust and Side Pipes!!!:D :rock: :D :rock: :D

Hell yes I love that sound when decel'n... When folks pass by me or are beside me in town coming up to a stoplight or something, they know something's a little different about my truck... I can tell by the look on their faces...Priceless IMO :rock: !!! One question, does a reflashed PCM have any effect on the noise??

QueLocura said:
.... So I can enjoy my farting srt-10 :D

Still sounds better than the "wet-pussy-fart" sound of the Lightning under hard acceleration (due to the Torque-Management shutting down cylinders between shifts). :D

Black1 said:
Still sounds better than the "wet-pussy-fart" sound of the Lightning under hard acceleration (due to the Torque-Management shutting down cylinders between shifts). :D
LMFAO!! That's all we need... farting SRT-10's and queefing Lightnings :D

QueLocura said:
LMFAO!! That's all we need... farting SRT-10's and queefing Lightnings :D

I love this forum! Too damn funny!!!

(and I love this damn dancing elephant!) :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back