Exhaust manifold to Cat Down Pipe Bolts

Hellcat Hauler

Reaction score
Screenshot_20240301_221241_Chrome.jpg
Now that these trucks are getting older, I am just making this post to save someone wasted time searching online.
They are so hard to see what you are working with while under the truck, and this will solve having multiple sockets, pliers, and wrenches everywhere. These bolts will be a pain in your @ss if you are changing an exhaust manifold, installing shorty headers, removing a catalytic converter pipe, or installing catless down pipes, etc etc
They will turn till the thin metal nut holder makes contact to the manifold and breaks apart, making a sharp metal mess. The square nut is surrounded by this metal and makes it impossible to get a 5/8 wrench on and hold the actual square nut. STOP

20240301_195830.jpg

The solution?
BEFORE YOU START, just spray them with penetrating oil. (Obviously)
Do not impact them UNTIL you have a 11/16" wrench on the entire nut assembly. SEE BELOW
20240302_000054.jpg

They come right off, but my truck has 59k on it and is pretty clean. A daily truck in the north may be more challenging with rust.
Hopefully you did not jump the gun and fire up the cut off air grinder like I did, but I only cut off the lower easy to get to bolts.
Good luck

View attachment 65537
Now that these trucks are getting older, I am just making this post to save someone wasted time searching online.
They are so hard to see what you are working with while under the truck, and this will solve having multiple sockets, pliers, and wrenches everywhere. These bolts will be a pain in your @ss if you are changing an exhaust manifold, installing shorty headers, removing a catalytic converter pipe, or installing catless down pipes, etc etc
They will turn till the thin metal nut holder makes contact to the manifold and breaks apart, making a sharp metal mess. The square nut is surrounded by this metal and makes it impossible to get a 5/8 wrench on and hold the actual square nut. STOP

View attachment 65539

The solution?
BEFORE YOU START, just spray them with penetrating oil. (Obviously)
Do not impact them UNTIL you have a 11/16" wrench on the entire nut assembly. SEE BELOW
View attachment 65540

They come right off, but my truck has 59k on it and is pretty clean. A daily truck in the north may be more challenging with rust.
Hopefully you did not jump the gun and fire up the cut off air grinder like I did, but I only cut off the lower easy to get to bolts.
Good luck

EXCELLENT ! Things like that are great to know when starting any new project .. Being prepared ahead of time makes things go smoother !

Back