Exhaust Question

FastRam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about removing the OEM muffler and piping from the mids/tails and replacing it with a X crossover and into either straight pipes or the Magna Race Series. I plan on retaining the OEM resonator. Anybody try a muffler delete or Magnaflow's Race Series Mufflers in place of the OEM on a 2006 RC?

I have a friend who went with an X pipe and removed the factory resonator, sounds great and not too loud to get a ticket everytime he starts it.

I went with the Flowmaster 50 series dual and removed the resonator and I love the sound.

FastRam said:
I am thinking about removing the OEM muffler and piping from the mids/tails and replacing it with a X crossover and into either straight pipes or the Magna Race Series. I plan on retaining the OEM resonator. Anybody try a muffler delete or Magnaflow's Race Series Mufflers in place of the OEM on a 2006 RC?

Ive tried 9 different exhaust setups and drove them for a week or so each. Although im no expert when it comes to exhaust ive learned from my error.
First, dont expect to get anything from your exhaust upgrade without removing them cats. Justins mids are the way to go. :rock:

X pipes if you want it loud H if your going to have it deep and mellow. But your talking about magna races huh?

Magnaflow race mufflers with or without resonators sounded like shit and only got worse. People cringed when i fled a parking lot and i tried to keep the rpms low as to not be embarassed. But i only had them without cats. I hit the nail on the head when i went catless mids, x pipe, exhaust cutouts behind that, and you can run any muffler you want behind that. Because you will never want to put the caps on. the only time my exhaust is capped and running my 4 mufflers is on long road trips that i plan on having conversations on the way.

My times are within hundredths of a second in the eighth either way, but the truck seams a little more torquey down low with caps in and free flowing mufflers :dontknow: But with caps off the truck seams faster when you can hear it! :rock:

""X pipes if you want it loud H if your going to have it deep and mellow. But your talking about magna races huh?""

I have the cats out on my truck. I want to rid the stock muffler also but i dont want any RAP noise. I just finished with Bassani shorty headers now what sound better the H or X?? and do you leave the oem resonator in when you put them in instead of the muffler?? does the backpressure effect the truck engine in a bad way?

thx:)

A x or h pipe will stop the pop on decel, , and removing the resonator by itself helps some, but basically going to a full catback helps, but changing the muffler and removingn the resonatorwill help with backpressure

I have Justins catless mids and the magnaflows on my 06. It is loud. I was joking with a friend the other morning when we were leaving in the truck saying "wake up neighbors". Later that night a neighbor 2 houses down commented on the noise from the truck :D
Mine also pops quite a bit on deceleration.
I am looking at some other options to quiet the truck down.

JeffBoyette said:
Ive tried 9 different exhaust setups and drove them for a week or so each. Although im no expert when it comes to exhaust ive learned from my error.
First, dont expect to get anything from your exhaust upgrade without removing them cats. Justins mids are the way to go. :rock:

X pipes if you want it loud H if your going to have it deep and mellow. But your talking about magna races huh?

Magnaflow race mufflers with or without resonators sounded like shit and only got worse. People cringed when i fled a parking lot and i tried to keep the rpms low as to not be embarassed. But i only had them without cats. I hit the nail on the head when i went catless mids, x pipe, exhaust cutouts behind that, and you can run any muffler you want behind that. Because you will never want to put the caps on. the only time my exhaust is capped and running my 4 mufflers is on long road trips that i plan on having conversations on the way.

My times are within hundredths of a second in the eighth either way, but the truck seams a little more torquey down low with caps in and free flowing mufflers :dontknow: But with caps off the truck seams faster when you can hear it! :rock:

Jeff, thanks. Any expereince/luck with Edelbrock's SDT 304 stainless steel mufflers?

I just checked my state's vehicle safety code. Here we go Virginia! Straight pipes are out, mandatory requirement for a muffler. Ditching OEM cats/mids is also out, need them too. What's really interesting is that if for example the muffler is removed from the vehicle (no muffler) and if you are pulled over and the officer observes the muffler is removed, he can then remove the vehicle plates and registration -- meaning your vehicle cannot be driven until the problem has been corrected, e.g. install muffler. I am going to go with some type of muffler to avoid any potential/future headaches, lord only knows I have had my fair share of those with my Chevy. Keep the suggestions coming and TIA.

FastRam said:
Jeff, thanks. Any expereince/luck with Edelbrock's SDT 304 stainless steel mufflers?

I put them on my 05 hemi. I had a couple setups on it too. The edlebrock was the quietest. There was zero resonance and the sound is pretty consistant throughout the rpm range. More bottom end but you loose up top

Stinker said:
A x or h pipe will stop the pop on decel, , and removing the resonator by itself helps some, but basically going to a full catback helps, but changing the muffler and removingn the resonatorwill help with backpressure

All 9 exhaust setups popped and still do. A x does a better job of reducing it but with stock tune, mopar puts way to much fuel on decel and you will have pop. The less backpressure, more flow, more pop. magnaflow race mufflers popped the loudest with both the h and the x The h had deeper booms but the rasp was obnoxious in the revs.

If you want it loudest, a little rasp and possible and little or no pop twister pro-flo race mufflers sounded incredible with no cats and an x pipe. I put them as resonators in the stock location.

FastRam said:
I just checked my state's vehicle safety code. Here we go Virginia! Straight pipes are out, mandatory requirement for a muffler. Ditching OEM cats/mids is also out, need them too. What's really interesting is that if for example the muffler is removed from the vehicle (no muffler) and if you are pulled over and the officer observes the muffler is removed, he can then remove the vehicle plates and registration -- meaning your vehicle cannot be driven until the problem has been corrected, e.g. install muffler. I am going to go with some type of muffler to avoid any potential/future headaches, lord only knows I have had my fair share of those with my Chevy. Keep the suggestions coming and TIA.

Put in hiflow cats:rock:

4to10cyl said:
Put in hiflow cats:rock:

Thats part of a long term plan, along with Belangers. Unfortuantely now is not the time -- lacking cash flow -- but I save where I can, when I can.

FastRam said:
Thats part of a long term plan, along with Belangers. Unfortuantely now is not the time -- lacking cash flow -- but I save where I can, when I can.

I know how that goes, that's why I only removed my muffler and put an h-pipe in place for $80 at muffler man. Couldn't be happier for the money I spent on this.

post up a sound clip i wanna give her more rumble with as little pop/rap as possible

lukedovichak said:
post up a sound clip i wanna give her more rumble with as little pop/rap as possible

Too much pop, trust me. But I hear if you get a tune it gets rid of it. I think in that case it'd be perfect!! I'll try to get a sound clip this weekend.

505'sFastestViper. said:
5" all the way back no cats no mufflers sounds good

Is that what ya have to compensate for the way out if ya have 5 plus inches on the way in -- with that big turbo hangin in front :rock:

4to10cyl said:
I know how that goes, that's why I only removed my muffler and put an h-pipe in place for $80 at muffler man. Couldn't be happier for the money I spent on this.

I hear there on the muffler delete but my residence polices that stuff aggressively -- urban environment, many vehicles, small and large leading the pack, if you catch my drift. I want a nice aggressive tone, European style is fine, it's a 10 cyl anyway, don't care about cabin drone but at he end of day I want it legal when it comes time for inspection.

No cats,stock muffler,H pipe crossover,DC Performance Stage 2.Good tone,not too loud or too quiet,almost no pop and zero cackle. :rock:

Currently we do not have emissions testing in this part of VA.

Last edited:
HOT RAM said:
No cats,stock muffler,H pipe crossover,DC Performance Stage 2.Good tone,not too loud or too quiet,almost no pop and zero cackle. :rock:

Currently we do not have emissions testing in this part of VA.

Don't move further East, you reach my door step all bets are off.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back